jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)

Your Apathy Offends Me.........

1. ahorseback profile image45
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Seriously , Do you beleave that Americans ON BOTH SIDES are ready to assume the challenges of re-entering ourselves into the  responsibility of action instead of apathy . Resume a vigilance of political responsibility and involvement. Aren't we just as responsible for this mess in Washington!

1. TTanglewood profile image60
      TTanglewoodposted 5 years ago in reply to this

We absolutely are.

My hub "The Problem is Us" makes that assertion.

Of course, we live in the microwave age, and to tell the truth, the complexity of our problems requires a slow roast approach to finding a solution.

But since we as a nation tend to think in 2 year increments, that doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon.

ahorsebackposted 5 years ago in reply to this

But yes ,we think in two year increments and then elect these fools into career  positions? What does that say for our vigilance. I'll check out that hub!

Not so much about our vigilance as our lack of understanding of how our government works.  And lack of understanding about basic economic principles.

I admit, I've been guilty of it as well, not fully understanding the workings of our political system even after graduating from high school AND college.

A lot of the issue is the fact that we aren't investing in an efficient educational system.  So our schools turn out barely functional individuals.  We've also become so polarized that the middle ground is forbidden to our politicians.  And that is dangerous ground since most of the population lives in the middle.

This polarization is a gift from and a comfortable place for politicians to dwell , If they keep division in the constituancy they keep thier jobs  and have to perform little! That is our dilema!

Is the low out put of our education system the laziness and entitlement of the system  or the unaccounting of parents and students?

Many factors.  But I point the finger at the parents first.  My parents valued education, and as such, it was a priority in my home. 

The most important thing a parent can do for a child is instill in them an appreciation for learning.

The fact is, current educators are overwhelmed and under supported.

2. kirstenblog profile image80
      kirstenblogposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hell ya! I agree whole heartedly. All to often people are happy to just look the other way because its easier. With questions like 'why should I have to pay for blah blah blah'. Me, me, me, I want, I want, I want. Well boo hoo, diddums! Life ain't fair, never was fair never will be fair, suck it up and grow the f*ck up! Arguing and bickering gets nothing done but moving about a bit of hot air. Don't take responsibility for your community today and be sure it will be forced on you tomorrow. Come live in my neighbourhood in London, go check out the looted shops, responsibility deferred brought this particular bird home to roost.

We all watch as London burns, A precurser to Americas streets?

Not so much.  Remember the aforementioned apathy.

1. kirstenblog profile image80
            kirstenblogposted 5 years ago in reply to this

People have been largely apathetic here for a long time sad
            I rather think this is what happens when apathy gets to this sort of point.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image91
          Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, I don't think the London/rest of England riots will "spread" to the US as such, because most Americans who would take part in a riot don't really pay attention to what happens outside our borders.

But if there were a trigger event, like the unfortunate shooting that triggered the London riots, I could see the US erupting.

Witness the LA riots after the Rodney King beating back in the 1990s. I'm surprised (and grateful) that Detroit didn't see similar large-scale rioting in the wake of Malice Green's beating death at the hands of two Detroit police (also in the 90s) and that New York didn't see rioting after Amidou Dialo's shooting death at the hands of police in '99.

Of course, the current state of the world, with the income gap widening and the general frustration at the way wall street got rewarded while the rest of the people got the shaft will have an effect on how people react to sudden noisy injustice (whether real, as in the above examples, or merely perceived).

Another Amidou Dialo on the streets of today's New York might lead to something like England is experiencing. I hope it doesn't happen.

2. calpol25 profile image77
    calpol25posted 5 years ago

Its getting worse here in Britain Im afraid, now that the government has just permitted the use of water cannon, and plastic bullets to be used... I hope that it does not happen in America it is quite frightening here :-)

3. ahorseback profile image45
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Unfortunately , violence in the street is neither accountable by the Rodney Kings or any other such incident. It in itself is just an excuse for "Mob rule" stealing a flat screen or beating another human being to death is simply that. violent and selfish crime!  One cannot be tied to the other I am afraid.

working