jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Protecting Scammers and Other White Collar "Criminals"

1. road2hell profile image81
    road2hellposted 5 years ago

Why is it when a scammer is caught stealing millions and millions from so called investsors that the law can't strip the scammer of all of his assets and sell them.  Surly, people like Bernie Madoff with million-dollar mansion, expensive cars and yachts could easily pay back the people he "screwed" over.  People should have some recourse of action besides sending so called culprit to jail.

1. kschang profile image89
      kschangposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think they seized even Madoff's underwear and sold that off at auction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13665904

2. ShawnB2011 profile image60
    ShawnB2011posted 5 years ago

They do, do that. They can only take the assets that they can prove were purchased or gained by use of the money he had stolen to purchase it. If the proof is there, they will seize those assets and do what they must with them. In the case of Madoff, his mansion, cars and yachts are still not enough to pay back the billions of dollars he scammed from people.

1. road2hell profile image81
      road2hellposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Regardless if his assets were puchased by Madoff or not, he lost the prividges of having these things.  He can't enjoy them while he is spending his recreational time behind bars.

1. ShawnB2011 profile image60
        ShawnB2011posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey, I agree with you... everything that man owns should be sold and all monies disbursed to the victims of his schemes. I thought most of it was but regardless of what they sell of his. it won't come close to enough to repay everyone he victimized.

working