jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Is this really about Trayvon Martin?

1. Joelipoo profile image86
    Joelipooposted 4 years ago

Has the Trayvon Martin story gotten out of control?  From Spike Lee tweeting addresses to the Black Panthers putting bounties on Zimmerman, have people overlooked the actual issue at hand?  People claim they care about Trayvon being killed, but it seems like the story has turned more into an attempt to push an agenda and encourage racism to exist.

1. gregas profile image73
      gregasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It was completely out of hand as soon as the media reported it the way they did. The media should get facts before they report any story and be held responsible for any false or mistaken reports made. They all have to hurry and try to be the first with with the story and report the first thing they hear. My opinion, Greg

2. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

Well, obviously this murder is WAY more important than the other 17,000 murders that will occur in the United States this year.

I have to wonder a little if the media circus isn't partially responsible for how slowly things are moving. If people are actually afraid to make a move because they're being watched so closely and the case is racially charged.

Anyway, it'll be real fun trying to find an impartial jury when the time comes.

3. lovemychris profile image79
    lovemychrisposted 4 years ago

"Anyway, it'll be real fun trying to find an impartial jury when the time comes."

That is the problem with jury trials. After my friend was convicted, and there was such obvious bias there....a lot of people were calling for us to institute professional jurors...people who know the law and who aren't swayed by personal bias.

It's very hard to find anyone who is really able to put their bias and predjudice aside.

1. sen.sush23 profile image59
      sen.sush23posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree. I felt in many cases things ultimately rest on social biases. Hence superficial things, like the way an accused dresses, the way he/or she 'act' out the part best to win favor with jury etc. have been and continue to be expert information and service rendered in judicial issues to the accused or the accusing.

4. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 3 years ago

Trayvon Martin and gunman Zimmerman tragedy I guess you can say it did move bring about a sense of being out of control.

The incident did however refocused people's ideas about who we are as Americans and what are the dynamics that separate us as American citizens?

5. 0
    Deepes Mindposted 3 years ago

This tragedy was about a law that is flawed in application and has racial overtones. In the case of Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis, Each shooter claimed stand your ground law and delayed the process. On the other hand, You have a young lady in Jacksonville Florida that fired a warning shot at her husband that claimed stand your ground but was sentenced to 20 years in prison because she didn't kill him