jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Why do people get married? Is it love? or financial benefits?

1. cruelkindness profile image74
    cruelkindnessposted 4 years ago

1. Vita Taylor profile image60
      Vita Taylorposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It depends on the couple. Some couples love each other but either can't legally get married or don't see the need to have a legally binding contract. Financial benefits surely play a role in the decision - but weddings and honeymoons (and families, if they follow) can be incredibly expensive and certainly aren't a financial benefit.

2. 0
    cottageindustryposted 4 years ago

It depends on the morals of the people involved. Love would probably be a good bet for younger couples and financial would be a better choice for older couples.

1. RustyW profile image86
      RustyWposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Love is...whatever we make of it. Is it chemical? Is it emotional? Does genetics play a factor? I would say 'yes' to all of the above. For me, 'love' is what keeps me from staying in bed all morning, or what I feel when I look into the eyes of my family. Love is what we want to feel, in lieu of an empty heart...

3. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 4 years ago

I know a young lady after a man in his forties specifically for his money. He cheats on her and does all sorts of things I can't go into here but this is just one of many cases where people (attempt to) marry for financial security or benefits.

On a much more positive note, I can name far more couples that are married for love, support, laughter, trust, and happiness as two against the world.