Is it right for a woman to work and give her husband her pay check?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Cristale profile image83
    Cristaleposted 11 years ago

Is it right for a woman to work and give her husband her pay check?

2. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 11 years ago

no more right than for a husband to work and then hand over his paypacket to his wife.

Cristaleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well said!

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

This is an incomplete question. What do you mean by "give"? Is he staying home taking care of the children and the financial responsibilities such as making sure the bills are paid and a roof is over everyone's heads?

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

There is no "right" or "wrong". There is only "agree" or "disagree".
    Each couple is entitled to set up their own financial strategy for their marriage. Back in the 1960s and earlier it was common for husbands to give their wives their paycheck. Oftentimes these women would show up at their job during lunch to pick up the check. The women would then pay the bills, grocery shop, buy the kids items, set some aside for savings, and give the husband some "spending" money to last through the next payday. This was considered "normal" back then.
    However as I pointed out each couple gets to set up their own way of dealing with finances. If they don't agree on how it should be handled then they need to decide if this issue is a "deal breaker" or not.
    There is no amount of "communication" or "work" that can overcome being with someone who does not want what you want." You are responsible for your own happiness!

1. gerrym profile image61
      gerrymposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can attest to it being that way in the 60's - and 70's and 80's, etc. That's what I did and still do today on income from my part time retirement biz. For over 50 years my wife has given me an allowance out of my income. It works great..

5. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Well, in China the man works yet he gives his wife the paycheck. The woman handles all of the finances. A few of my friends noticed that the woman always walks behind the man, but after knowing she controls the cash, we thought it was fine. It all depends on the relationship you have with your husband.
    Personally, I would NEVER give my husband my paycheck. We both work. He pays a few bills with his check, while I pay the rest and save with mine. He is horrible with money and just spends it on everything. I save most of it and have money-counting-baths every weekend. Because I hold the money, we can actually go on trips, keep track of payments, and still have some left over. Even in this economy.

Does he save his money also or should the guy pay most of the bills? Relationships can be so complicated at times. The spenders should never hold the money so the couple can have nice things and go nice places, or otherwise have no money.

2. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He doesn't save any money. I don't think he knows how. Honestly, I think the bills should be divided depending upon the amount of money made by both partners so an equal portion of their paycheck is going into the home. I definately agree.

6. cjpooja26 profile image61
    cjpooja26posted 11 years ago

No its not good but it depends on her choice if wife wants to give him then she could.

7. Marketing Merit profile image93
    Marketing Meritposted 11 years ago

It depends upon the division of household/parental responsibilities. If the man manages the household budget then I don't see why it should be a problem, providing any surplus is saved and/or distributed equitably.

8. klidstone1970 profile image59
    klidstone1970posted 11 years ago

My husband and I live off his paycheck and bank mine to use for home improvement, vacations and that sort of thing.  It is a mutual agreement between us and we each have access to all funds brought into the household.

9. Theophanes profile image89
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

Depends on the couple, their needs, and what they agree to. I have seen women give their full pay checks to complete leeches, who didn't work and whose only skill was breathing air. That is pointless and often times the painful system of a dysfunctional or downright abusive relationship. In those instances I'd consider it te wrong choice. However I have also seen couples where one is reeeeally bad with money (shopping, gambling, drug habit, whatever!)  and decided to let the more responsible party keep all the money and make all the financial decisions. In the end its whatever works for whomever is involved.

10. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

I am wondering why you are asking this question. Come on Cristale, give us a clue. smile

Talking about relationship issues that not many couples can agree on is fun! Get a clue!

11. happeningeachday profile image59
    happeningeachdayposted 11 years ago

yes it right for a woman to work.but i dont think to give her paycheck..

12. wqaindia profile image38
    wqaindiaposted 11 years ago

In India working women hand over their pay check to the Husband (rather to the senior most  elder in the family) not for gambling, drinking or smoking but to shoulder the responsibilities as a head of the family. Relationship of husband, wife and other members of the family is that of mutual trust and respect) . If trust is breached then every thing seems to break.

13. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

I am assuming this question means both partners are working and earning a paycheck!

I like the your money, my money and our money scenario. I feel it is the formula for a happy marriage in the current times

I don’t think  either partner should hand over a paycheck, but that a couple should sit down together and make a plan on how to pay for mutual costs and family expenses and all other earnings should belong to the person who earned them. In this day and age both partners should have their own money and separate credit rating.

1. profile image49
      cnegethonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! I feel if somebody worked to earn their money and are married, the two spouses should have a payment plan between both incomes.

14. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 11 years ago

In my opinions, It is not fair to give the whole amount of check to husband, but it depends on couple and their situations. If a couple is passing from and facing tough time, then they have to commit with each other to save an amount for their children’s future or any emergency use. I am sure this kind of commitment would help them in their future as “savings”. They can use it for any purpose. But it is not fair for a wife to give full check to her husband.

15. jayshreepattanaik profile image41
    jayshreepattanaikposted 11 years ago

it is not absolutely right to give pay check but also a woman's duty is to share her income with her husband to maintain a healthy life style

16. amiguel profile image59
    amiguelposted 11 years ago

What ever happened to 50/50?...I wouldn't give my husband my whole ck and I don't expect for him to do that for me either. Shared responsibility is better than one person taking care of everything. Unless there is a loss of a job, than you have to work things out. So one doesn't stress out the other.

17. shivanchirakkal10 profile image57
    shivanchirakkal10posted 11 years ago

As, if you are a working woman, it is your responsibility to share the family expenses.  Today, the expenditure to manage home is increasing day by day. So helping each other to run the family in smooth, is a healthy understanding between couple.
    In your question, are you asking whether you want to go for work and give the pay check to the husband?. If the husband is forcing the wife ti find some work and asking to get money is different matter. If he is not in a position to meet all expenses of the family, he can/or both can think for such adjustment.
    Any how, a woman have all the right to decide that how much amount she can contribute. The entire amount or a portion of it!.

18. Buchi Francis profile image57
    Buchi Francisposted 11 years ago

it all depends on the situation or circumstance of the giving, but it is not proper for the woman to give because she will control the man in the future about the decision made in the family

19. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

my money is insufficient to even a decent meal for the whole month. Hence, I don't have to give my paycheck to my hubby because by the time I receive it, i have to keep it for my next month's meal. So, hubby pays for everything at home.

ANyway, it depends on individual agreement. Some women give 1/2 her paycheck to supply household needs, while the rest still depends on hubby's paycheck.

20. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Absolutely, if there is only love involved.

But if the husband is loafing at home, watching TV, gaming with the boys, and grabbing some extra sweetness on the side, then the husband has got to go. That pure selfishness.

21. Gary Holdaway profile image86
    Gary Holdawayposted 11 years ago

I think it depends on the couple. Who deals with the bills, the payments, the money in and the money out? There's not even discussions about the women that make sure the husbands money is well spent, it should work both ways. When women were rightfully given equality, it took a while to actually accumulate that equality like promised, but that battle has long since past. Men and women walk the earth with equal rights and equal respect. No more needs to be said.

22. profile image51
    ysinghposted 11 years ago

If this is like both of them are earning together for livelihood its fine but if you want to give all your earnings without keeping any savings apart from your monthly expenditure then then you are at loss and I personally belive women even though they are working they are the home makers and should keep some money safe not only for her own requirments or safety but it can also be used for families welfare in time of crisis as men tend to spend most of their money they earn.

23. Ceegen profile image68
    Ceegenposted 11 years ago

Is it right for a man to work and give his wife his pay check?

If the love is really there, then the money doesn't matter. If you let money get in the way of love, you don't really love.

24. Stachart profile image61
    Stachartposted 11 years ago

If you mean that the husband is not working to earn money and the woman just give him her pay, or what ever else. The question about if it is right or not could be answered if we know if the woman must give that check or if she choose to please his husband for a certain reasons!

Fairly, the money must be shared instead of given, but anywhere it's freedom choice, we can not judge!

25. celeste inscribed profile image88
    celeste inscribedposted 11 years ago

This is a tough one to answer because it depends on the agreed arrangement between the couple or it could depend on culture. It would depend on who runs the budget. It takes a lot of communication, love and trust to allow one person to run the budget. I think this should be a joint responsibility.

26. Yeshe Zhonnu profile image59
    Yeshe Zhonnuposted 11 years ago

It all depends.  My brother, who is a very successful engineer and makes big bucks working for Exxon, turns his paycheck over to his wife to let her handle the bills and household finances.  He did this in his first marriage as well when he was making far less money.  I think it's just a question of who has to give up the least in order to take on responsibility for the family finances.  My brother oversees investments but the day to day finances are handled by his wife who must give up much less than my brother as far as value of his time.  So, whoever has the smaller opportunity cost or the cost of the next best alternative use of time, should handle any given activity such as handling finances.  In my case, I give most of my paycheck over to my partner and she handles the household finances.  I keep a portion for my own expenses and pocket money.  And this should be done without giving up total control, but in trust that the one handling the finances will be trustworthy.

27. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

Marriage is a joint effort. If a man gives his paycheck to the household, why not a woman? ( I specify household and not husband) I am also a believer though, that a woman should have a nest egg of her own.

28. phillippeengel profile image83
    phillippeengelposted 11 years ago

Then what is the husband doing? Lolling around at home, playing computer games and watching videos? Where is the fondness between these couple? If this happens, I would rather say that the wife has become a servant, and there are authentically family problems that have to be resolved. Women are not meant to be bullied in this way (unless if the husband is really unfit to work then will the wife do this).

29. Sammi617 profile image57
    Sammi617posted 11 years ago

It all depends on the couple. In my opinion, a stable couple should share the income. And as long as they are both bringing in an income to support them, why not share it?

30. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 11 years ago

Seems to work quite uncontested the other way around LOL. Right however is in the palm of the cheque holder and discussed between the two. I believe legally that once married in the eyes of the court there is no his and hers but all is ours.

31. theodoresumrall profile image58
    theodoresumrallposted 11 years ago

I believe it totally depend on your family and relationship status. You know yourself what's right and what's wrong in your family.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)