Jesus: Is He God?
(Psalms 2:12) Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.
The Muslims teach that Jesus was a prophet like Mohamed; they even go so far as to put in writing on the Dome of the Rock that Allah has NO son! The Jews say he was (at best) a nice guy and many cults teach that Jesus was simply "a god". What did Jesus teach and what does the Bible say about him and who the Messiah will be?
Both the Old Testament and the New Testament teach that the Messiah would be God and is God. The Bible very clearly admonishes us that the only person who deserves worship is the one true God. Did Jesus accept worship, did God the Father direct others to worship him? Let's take a look.
(Jeremiah 25:6) And go not after other gods to serve them, and to worship them, and provoke me not to anger with the works of your hands; and I will do you no hurt.
(Exodus 34:14) For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:
(Deuteronomy 8:19) And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the LORD thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish.
Therefore the Bible is very clear that we are to worship God alone and that to worship anyone else is a serious sin.
In Isaiah we read that the Messiah is to be the mighty God!
(Isaiah 9:6) For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:7) Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
This verse throws a lot of people off because it says..the mighty God, The everlasting Father.. However, with a simple understanding of the doctrine of the trinity we know that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are the one true God. They are 3 persons but One God. In this way Jesus could say to Thomas is you have seen me you have seen the Father, how can you say show us the Father (John 14: 8-11).
Also in Micah 5:2 it says:
But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
This verse is very telling in that it says that the ruler of Israel will be from everlasting which cannot mean that the ruler will be a mere man.
Joh 14:8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
Joh 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
Joh 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
Joh 14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
Also in the New Testament we have Jesus accepting worship from shepherds, a leper, a ruler, his disciples, a Canaanite woman and Thomas to name a few:
1. (Matthew 2:11) And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshiped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.
2. (Matthew 8:2) And, behold, there came a leper and worshiped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.(Matthew 8:3) And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.(Matthew 9:18) While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshiped him, saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live.
3. (Matthew 14:30) But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.(Matthew 14:31) And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?(Matthew 14:32) And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.(Matthew 14:33) Then they that were in the ship came and worshiped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.
4. (Matthew 15:22) And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.(Matthew 15:23) But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.(Matthew 15:24) But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.(Matthew 15:25) Then came she and worshiped him, saying, Lord, help me.(Matthew 15:26) But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
5. (John 20:26) And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.(John 20:27) Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.(John 20:28) And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.(John 20:29) Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
6. (Matthew 28:9) And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshiped him.(Matthew 28:10) Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me.
And the angels worship him:
(Hebrews 1:5) For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?(Hebrews 1:6) And again, when he bringeth in the first-begotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
In closing, I would have to say that if Jesus is not God, then he could not be a prophet because a prophet who accepts worship would be a false prophet, nor could he be a "nice guy" because again he would be a blasphemer and that is exactly what the Jews accused him of and why he was crucified, nor is he "a god" because the scriptures teach that there are no other gods but the Lord Almighty.
Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Gal 4:8 Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods.
Finally, the book of Titus tells us that God was manifest in the flesh:
1Ti 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
Therefore the only conclusion that we are left with according to the holy scriptures is that Jesus is God, the second person of the trinity!
**If you would like to earn money writing for hub-pages click here: http://hubpages.com/_earnmoneywriting
Related articles by Brie Hoffman
- Why and How I Became a Christian
I would say that the primary reason that I am a Christian is because when I first called out to God, Jesus answered me. Prior to that I searched for the meaning of life and looked in a great many areas...
- Atheism: Does God Exist?
There are really only two possibilities either God exists or he doesn't...Quite simple really. Personally, I think that all great truths are really very simple but that's another story. Either God exists...
- Are All Religions Equal?
In this politically correct world that we live in, just asking this question can be dangerous and controversial. However, I am still of the opinion that ideas and thoughts should be discussed, argued and...
- Why I Am No Longer A Catholic
I was watching The Nun's Story the other day and it reminded me of my own Catholic upbringing, although it had little in common with the film. I am no longer Catholic even though I was...
More by this Author
Prophecy tells us what the future will be using the Bible. What does the Bible say about our times? The bible has much to say about the times we live in and we would do well to listen to it.
Judge not lest ye be judged is the only bible verse that everyone knows by heart. But does it really mean that we should abstain from all judgment? Is that biblical? Let's look and see.
Have you ever considered moving to Tennessee to go off the grid? If you have here are 13 categories with crucial information that may sway your decision one way or another.