Many (all?) biblical literalists interpret the timeline in Genesis to give us a very young age to Earth. These Young Earth Creationists feel that the universe and Earth are between 6000 and 12000 years old. But that's only one interpretation of the Bible.
Science gives us a far older universe and Earth. Though science is not right on everything all of the time, they are right so much of the time that we have to consider their input.
If the Bible is right, it would match reality. Science studies reality and has done an excellent job of it. Just look at our technological society. To ignore reality is to court delusion. Therefore, if the Bible does not seem to match science, then it is possible that either science is wrong or that the interpretation of the Bible is wrong. Notice, I said that "interpretation" is wrong, not the Bible.
In science's favor is the fact that so many different sources within science give us an old universe. It seems more likely that the one interpretation would be wrong when stacked against hundreds (thousands?) of scientific observations.
The biblical literalist thinks their interpretation is right, but in the search for truth, humility is required. Holding onto one's own interpretation can be the antithesis of humility.
I have found a different interpretation of Genesis that yields a biblical timeline compatible with those of science. In fact, it explains a lot of the apparent enigmas found in Genesis like,
* The seemingly outrageous longevity of the early patriarchs.
* The fact that the addition of all those years comes up far short of the reality found by science.
* The reason why God gave seemingly unjustified protection of a murderer and a liar (Cain and later, his descendant Lamech).
* The identity of the elusive "daughters of men" found in Genesis 6.
* The reason behind the Great Flood of Noah.
* The existence of the Kabbalists' "Tree of Life" matrix embedded in 2 chapters of Genesis.
What is startling about this new timeline is that it gives an age of humanity far older than the current minimum age found by scientists. In other words, they have many more bones to discover before they get the true age of humanity. But that new biblical age of humans seems to show that, though everything else evolved slowly, Homo sapiens may well have been created or engineered in an epoch when giants roamed the Earth