Small resturant served with discrimination suit.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

Because they offer discount for anyone with a church bulletin they are discriminatory.   
    http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_20996278/at … ost_viewed

1. mollymeadows profile image71
      mollymeadowsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I file this under the heading "sorehead lawsuit," but still have to admire the soreheads' drive and imagination. Not everybody would have thought of this -- mainly because most people have nowhere near this much aggression or time on their hands...XD

tirelesstravelerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We have friends who own some restaurants it; is common practice for people to walk into a restaurant they had never worked at and file wrongful employment suits.  It is less expensive to pay a settlement than to go to court and fight the suit. This kind of thing happens all the time.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80
          pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It does? Oh my gosh!!!!

2. jpcmc profile image90
          jpcmcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Won't it be cheaper for the customer to simply pay for the meal?

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

Apparently it is neither a customer or a worker. Just someone after money by way of fraud.

1. jpcmc profile image90

Sad but it happens.

2. jpcmc profile image90

It's just a marketing move targeting a particular niche.  If he really wants to get a discount, then get a bulletin from the church.  I think he is simply over reacting or perhaps has his judgement a bit messed up.

3. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Another frivolous lawsuit in the name of militant atheism.

4. pennyofheaven profile image80

Great advertising for the restaurant. Even though it was perhaps negatively geared not to mention the fact that he had never visited the restaurant. Negativity sells right? I wonder whether or not he realized that the publicity the complaint will have gained has upped the chances of the restaurant getting more patronage?

5. twosheds1 profile image60
      twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

So I guess I could walk in there with a SubGenius pamphlet and get a discount.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

That is just as bad as someone who walks into a diner and the diner is having a women eat free night, and a guy walks in without a girl, and wants the same thing....if he doesn't get it? is it gender discrimination?

This stuff is just stupid.

If it is illegal to do it, then she should be stopped from doing it. If it is legal, which I would think it is because it's no different than the above scenario, then his suit will go nowhere.

3. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I can see no problem if service is the same for anybody that enters the restaurant but if a discount is given only with physical hold and presentation of that or any church bulletin - I'd think it discriminatory too. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to keep discrimination out of our lives and make for a better world tongue

1. profile image0
      Hubert Williamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So, if walmart offers a senior citizen discount they are discriminating against the rest of the world? Wake up people and smell what you shovel.

1. Dame Scribe profile image56
        Dame Scribeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A Elder discount I'd respect, since it's part of my own values. Getting service and discounts because I go to church is nice but since I don't go to a church, or if a person is from out of town and whole other church, I'd still expect equal treatment. hmm

2. jpcmc profile image90

I think establishments have the right to choose what marketing plans they can do.  It so happens the particular niche is anyone who presents the church bulletin.

4. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 11 years ago

Useless and pointless if you ask me.
    This guy should be slapped with a hefty fine for tying up the states resources on such crap. I mean really the discount may amount to what three dollars off a 20 dollar ticket.
    How redicules!

1. twosheds1 profile image60

Would it be ridiculous if they offered a discount only for whites?

1. mollymeadows profile image71
        mollymeadowsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Twosheds, when they do it, sure.

But why punish the prevailing self-righteousness of the small fry? -- The big burger chains are giving children a deal that adults don't get! Think of the self-righteousness kickin' action there!

Plus, they  have much deeper pockets! Go get 'em, baby!

XD

Adults can buy kids' meals. Actually a lot of adults do, to collect the toys. And it's not like kids get a deal; the portions are smaller.

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Which is actually good for people who have small appetites. smile

5. Nouveau Skeptic profile image63
    Nouveau Skepticposted 11 years ago

Given that the restaurant has a history of offering discounts to different groups at different times, it doesn't feel like religious discrimination to me. She saw a potential 'after church' market and went for it. If this was the only discount they ever offered I think it would be more dodgy.

6. tom hellert profile image59
    tom hellertposted 11 years ago

Traveler,
    It is the same thing for a discount of food items etc when you bring in your ticket stbb from a football or hockey game but oh my Golly- lets not allow a church to help out a local business... no we cant do that but hey take your hockt ticket stub and you will get a 2-1 quarter pounder at BK... Tjhere is NO difference..Other than the Libs get ticked offbecause of a church is involved. I see no difference- to getting coupons in the paper for a grocery store- you have to buy the paper to get the coupons OR you dont have to and you can pay full price so that guy should not be bitchin... NO ONE IS FORCING HIM TO DO IT, if you want the discount you have to supply the coupon...so that guy should get a program or shut his trap....

1. davidlaw2 profile image60
      davidlaw2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The suit is just another anti religious action. The same restaurant has a right to refuse service to any one and to target any market they choose. The thing that is really sick is that a lawyer took the case. It is a real slam on lawyers in general even though it is not every lawyer's fault. The cost will really harm this small business.This is a shame.

They have a right to refuse service, but not based on certain criteria: race, gender, age, religion. They couldn't refuse service to, say, people with ashes on their heads on Ash Wednesday. Were they discriminating against the non-religious or those who don't go on Sunday? (e.g., Jews, Muslims, 7th Day Adventists) It's hard to say. It's on the borderline. But I also believe drink specials for women at bars are discriminatory, too, and that Sunday liquor laws violate the 1st Amendment.

2. davidlaw2 profile image60

The suit is just another anti religious action. The same restaurant has a right to refuse service to any one and to target any market they choose. The thing that is really sick is that a lawyer took the case. It is a real slam on lawyers in general even though it is not every lawyer's fault. The cost will really harm this small business.This is a shame.

1. davidlaw2 profile image60

Don't click twice. No No don't.

LOL

7. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

Discrimination? REALLY? Do we have grape nuts or real balls? Anyone can go get a church program IF they want to. Is a senior discount discriminatory? How about coupon presentation?  Save whining for REAL discrimination like affirmative action!

8. mizjo profile image65
    mizjoposted 11 years ago

What a country for frivolous lawsuits!  Greed for money is the name of the game and easy money the end-result desired.  Wide-eyed lawyers and salivating idiots.

The restaurant is a private property and the owner can do what she darn well chooses to pull in traffic.  If she offers three different desserts on Sunday would that be discrimination against people who only eat out on Wednesdays?  Some weasel would want to make a case out of that. Religion has nothing to do with it.

Get a life, go do some charity work (maybe in a soup kitchen for atheists?) and make your life count for something. Instead of wasting taxpayers' money to get some notoriety.

9. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

After church business can make, or break, Sunday profits for a small restaurant. Anyone who has ever been in the business, on that scale, understands that many people choose a restaurant less for the fair it offers and more for who may be sitting at the other tables.

My advice to the sore head would be...Grow up.

10. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

tirelesstraveler wrote:
    We have friends who own some restaurants it; is common practice for people to walk into a restaurant they had never worked at and file wrongful employment suits.  It is less expensive to pay a settlement than to go to court and fight the suit. This kind of thing happens all the time.

I guess some people have no shame and are either clueless or couldn't care less how their actions affect others.

11. SpanStar profile image59
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

Here is how ridiculous I find this lawsuit.

Since he feels he is being discriminated against by attending This restaurant and not getting a discount Then I propose every restaurant in that area which he did not attend on the same day file a lawsuit against this guy for  discriminating against them for not attending their restaurant.

He saw the promotion on the internet.  It's not clear that he has ever been to the restaurant.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)