Werewolves? Seriously?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (64 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 11 years ago

So - this is a little weird. One of my friend's kids asked me to help him set up a website. It so happens I had a domain lying around that was perfect - so I set him up.

Now I discover he thinks he is a Werewolf - a real one - and this is why he wanted the website - to talk about his werewolf-ism (if that is the right word?)

So - my question is - should I tell his Mum? And WTF?

http://savethewerewolves.com/real-life-werewolf/

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's a big thing for teenagers these days - some of my daughter's friends are apparently werewolves or vampires. Of course, the prevalence of movies like Twilight where the werewolf and the vampire get the pretty girl helps inspire many teens!!!

Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really? Not owning any teenagers, I was a bit surprised. lol

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Simey's not kidding, Mark.  My dearest friend is having huge issues with her own 16 year old son being convinced that he is indeed a vampire.  Tell his parents - if you think he's serious.  If you want to be sure, talk to him yourself and ask if he's just hyper creative.  That could be it too.

1. Terminex profile image57
            Terminexposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

Why am I so serious you mean?  Because I'm watching it have a huge impact on a family I know.  The kid's now been expelled from school and is looking at counseling for delusional/sociopathic behavior.  We all blow it off because werewolves and vampires are popular now.  I would too....until it comes to levels like this.

As I said, though, it could be that this particular kid is testing his skill in creative writing.  Might not be serious in his case at all.  It helps to know the difference.

You might want to relocate your post. It now looks too lame and irrelevant.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Yeah - the more I look into it the more I am finding this is what passes for "normal," nowadays. lol

Sarcastic too, wasn't it? lol lol

3. Terminex profile image57

Is it really serious? Children love to experiment. Don't they? It's we, who need to change our attitude.

1. profile image0

They do.  Maybe it's only really serious when a kid has his teeth in your neck or tries to bite out your jugular.  Ah, we should just let it go, I suppose.

wink

That feels a bit threatening, doesn't it? big_smile

1. profile image0

I suppose it would.  I'd feel threatened if one of those two things happened to me.  If you mean that it feels threatening to you, then apparently, you take the situation a bit more seriously than you say you do.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
                psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You need to research otherkin and/or actual read the kid's site.  they are emo geeks who are probably even less likely to be violent than the chess club.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Seems like every generation goes through their own weird things...

Yep, tell the parents. Kind of a did-you-know... But, based on this thread, it's apparently not unusual... Just an fyi kind of thing as opposed to a big deal kind of thing... etc. smile

I think I will just leave it for now. lol

Nothing helpful to add?

ciao

2. donotfear profile image83
          donotfearposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep....of course, the kid could be seriously delusional.  No way to tell for sure, but ......

3. profile image0
      Peelander Gallyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's quite amusing. As has been mentioned, he's probably trolling, maybe looking to pick up girls obsessed with all this fantasy crap. He seems pretty imaginative and intelligent, and vivid bizarre delusions concerning only one specific element of a person's life and the disorders with which they're associated are not terribly common.

And to answer your question, the word you're looking for is "lycanthropy".

He seems pretty serious. And I doubt the value of trying to pick up chicks this way...... big_smile

4. profile image0
      SirDentposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To be honest, if I knew his parents very well, I would tell them.  Even though it may only be a joke to him, it might also be real to him.  Of course this all depends on how well you know him and his family.

Just my two cents.

I know them pretty well. It is more a case of how serious it is. As I mentioned - I did not know this was a teen fad thing.

1. profile image0

Werewolves and vampires are popular with teens especially at this time.  The new twilight movie came out recently and is very popular.

Yeah - just goes to show how up on these things I am . lol

I will wait and see. Thanks for the input.

5. livewithrichard profile image71
      livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Seems to me the kid has tapped into a pretty popular niche and just a quick search of a few of his post titles shows he is ranking page 2 - 4 for most of them.  Not bad for just starting.  Nothing weird here Mark except for the fact that you had the domain savethewerewolves.com lying around  haha j/k

A little optimization and monetization and he can become an authority in the niche.  Good thing he has a mentor like you to show him the right way..

You would be surprised at the domains I have lying around. lol

But - I am leaning this way as well - I watched "Twilight," last night so I get it a bit better now. (Crap film by the way - I could have turned it into a 20 minute TV show and not lost anything. big_smile)

Thanks for your input everyone.

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ the OP....that's too funny!........

7. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, he's either tapped into a niche which will attract readers of his age, or not? And may earn him some cash. Or, he desperately wants attention and he's hoping that you will bring this to the attention of his mother and father, because he wants someone else to do it for him. Or, he genuinely believes he is a werewolf, in which case perhaps he's hoping that you might help him, after all, he has come to you. Other than that I have no idea.

2. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

This looks like a very bored internet troll, if you ask me.

I didn't ask you. Nothing helpful to add?

ciao

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7374053_f248.jpg

2. kathleenkat profile image83
        kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, you did ask me. You asked an open-ended question, on an online forum. You asked me, and everybody else.

And for the helpful information you want me to add...as I said, this "werewolf" looks like a very bored internet troll. So, don't bother your mommy with it.

Thanks for the input in that case. Very helpful. Say it again.  lol

It's hard to digest sarcasm, isn't it? lol lol

2. profile image0

To be fair, Mark asked for advice on whether to tell the boy's parents or not.  He didn't ask for an opinion of the boy himself.

1. kathleenkat profile image83
            kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was implied: Don't bother your mommy with a bored teenager trolling the internet. Could also just be the kid's idea of a creative writing project.

2. Terminex profile image57

Come on!

"So - my question is - should I tell his Mum? And WTF?"

Mark asked for a broad interpretation. Didn't it? Did you omit anything? lol

3. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 11 years ago

Add to the Twilight saga is the HBO show True Blood which I think is in its 5th season. Kids all over are obsessed with this show and I know many adults who love it as well. I think the premise is that there are vampires who are living among us.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Nothing surprises me any more smile People can't seem to tell the difference between fantasy and reality any more.

5. cryptid profile image95
    cryptidposted 11 years ago

I believe in a lot of things, but I share your opinion that he is most likely not a werewolf. 

Are you sure he really believes this?  Because, I noticed the site is monetized, and that's a pretty slick gimmick to get other kids to come to his website and read the ramblings of the kid who says he's a werewolf.  Especially with the fad thing that Simey mentioned.

Also, is he going out for his school's basketball team?  Because I saw this movie once . . .

Well, I am pretty sure werewolves don't exist. But - I did not realize this was a teen fad thing so maybe no harm done. I suggested he monetise it.

1. bBerean profile image59
        bBereanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gotta love it.  No doubt in your mind there is no god, but you can't completely rule out werewolves.  Creator of creation...no way, but humans shape shifting into dogs...now there might be something.  lol

I am pretty sure your Invisible Super Being doesn't exist as well. But - I am open to evidence of either of them. Creator of Creation? lol lol lol

The Triple LOL for you Troll.

No wonder your religion causes so many wars. sad

Did you notice that you replied to yourself?

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Either it's a joke or he is part of the "Otherkin" subculture which is basically harmless emo stuff.

7. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

It is possible to see in it different things.

One would be that in no way does he believe it but he is using a popular topic to get readers. Another would be that he does feel different and he is expressing this in his writing by making comparisons.

He will have a nice boost in his traffic from HubPages, I wonder if he has set up tracking his stats.

About telling his mum you might want to mention that you have helped him set up a website.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, if he lives at home there is no reason his mother shouldn't know what he is putting online.

8. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I would have sworn there was a post here saying that the kid was monetizing it (his website). If so, smart kid. Go for it!

9. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 11 years ago

My daughter (late teens) has a lot of friends/acquaintances that are 'into' werewolves and vampires. Trends, peer pressure *shrugs*, the usual. When I was a kid it was rubiks cubes and Madonna. These days it's myth and legend.

Don't get so involved. If you know that the kids essentially a good one, and not likely to hair off down the street howling at the moon, leave it. Probably a passing phase. It's what kids do. Plus it's nice to see a literate one.

And, in the event he does hair off down the street howling at the moon, I don't think his parents will need you to inform them as to his state of mind lol

10. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 11 years ago

Hypertrichosis or warewolf syndrome is a real condition which causes the sufferer to grow fur.  It isn't cute or scary and the sufferer does not have an overwhelming urge to run in the woods at night or howl at the moon.  I'm guessing your lad doesn't have fur so he's either a bit mental or attention seeking.  If I was less inept on the old computer thing, I would upload a disturbing picture of someone with the syndrome, but alas this new fangled invention of the devil is beyond me.

11. tussin profile image57
    tussinposted 11 years ago

I'm not sure why this required a forum thread to get opinions from the peanut gallery, especially since no one here knows the person well enough to tell whether he's for real or just being creative. 

If you think there's a chance the kid may be mentally disturbed, just casually direct his parents' attention to the website and don't say another word about it. They would know him better than anyone else, so if he's the kind of kid who really would believe some strange fantasy about himself, they would know what to think and do after reading his blog posts. 

Some people here seem awfully sure that it's one thing or another, yet none of them even know the person in question.

1. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh please, someone is taking this seriously!  If old Knowelsy was really worried he wouldn't be posting here.  This is just an off the wall thing to mess about with.  He's probably hugging himself with delight at your hurrumphing.  Oh and up here in the peanut gallery, the view is great.  You get to see all sorts of people clambering over each other in the vain attempt to gain the moral high ground.  Great big bag of peanut brittle coming your way.

1. profile image0

Kathryn, I love this! smile

May I have some peanut brittle also?!

Thanks a million!

1. profile image0

No probs!

12. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

Mark,

Have you spoken with a medical professional about this (to get a professional medical opinion)? I feel your friends son may have a disorder for believing he suffers from Lycanthropy. It may be something as simple to suggest to him to talk with someone professional.

Its hard, as talking to his mother about it may potentially upset her deeply, as well as her son.

13. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Mark ---No just drive a stake through his heart and get it over with !..lol

I thought that was vampires? big_smile

What about attention-seeking spiders? big_smile big_smile

2. profile image0

I think it's silver bullets isn't it?  Not that I'm suggesting you should use them.

I think it is silver bullets - yes. big_smile

14. profile image0
    Rad Manposted 11 years ago

If you are friends with the parents tell them, but not in an "I've got something very important to discuss with you" kind of way. If he is becoming delusional and you said nothing before it got worse, you'd feel bad. And you don't want anyone feeling bad. Kidding... but I'd tell them anyway.

Yeah - agreed. I think it is harmless.

15. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 11 years ago

This still going?

Good job no one told my parents that I'm a talking frog.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)