How do you explain resurrection?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 16 years ago

How can you explain resurrection to young children? 

As a child I found the idea scary.  As a parent I am not sure how to explain it to my children.  Any ideas?

1. Silent Assassin profile image60
      Silent Assassinposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the ressurection can be described as a transition between fullfilling your purpose here to serving your purpose on a spiritual plane.

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Tell your kids that death is part of life and shouldn't be feared and Jesus is living proof for us that we don't need to fear death because look he came right back.  Or change how your children view death, make it glorious.  The last and final test that all people have to pass and everyone who does it, are the most brave.

2. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

Could you elaborate on what you mean by resurrection?  Do you mean the afterlife, the Easter story, something else?

1. Princessa profile image82
      Princessaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure really... And it is very difficult -if not imposible- to explain something that I do not understand myself!

Easter is for remembering Jesus sacrifice and death and ends with his resurrection.  As far as I understand, in Spain is something like Thursday of suffering, Friday of death, Saturday of Glory and Sunday of resurrection.  That is "Semana Santa" which translates as Easter in English. 

For Christmas we celebrated Jesus being born.  But how do I explain to the children that Easter is about Jesus death and his final resurrection?

We were visiting churches yesterday and they asked these questions after seeing the scenes on the stained glass windows.

1. SparklingJewel profile image65
        SparklingJewelposted 16 years agoin reply to this

My children are grown, and I don't remember all the things I told them when they were younger. But now my level of understanding has progressed, I would have to work on it (the explanation I would give to children), but now I would say something to the effect of...

Jesus' life, and the things that happened to Him are symbolic for us as we follow His path to learn to be like Him.

For instance, to me, when we celebrate/remember His birth, we are to understand that we can be born in the Christ Mind (that as we study His teachings) it brings a new outlook on life i.e. as we practice forgiveness and mercy, our hearts become more loving and open to helping others as it also helps ourselves. 

For His crucifixion, I would say, He was persecuted because He beleived in God, and that God was in Him, and that He was of God. And so as we learn to be more like Jesus, we become more in God and God is more in us.And that if we are afflicted in life, by what ever means or people, we can be strong like Christ was and not curse the world and who did the things to us, but forgive them. We don't have to die in an actual crucifixion act like Jesus did, but we die (our human mind that didn't have the Christ Mind, but now gradually allows Christ in) in smaller ways as we are afflicted.

For His resurrection,  I would say that as He arose from death, we can not let those that afflict us keep us down. But continue to live a better life learning from the afflictions, and following His teachings to become stronger to "overcome the world".

2. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
        Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

It may have become cliche, but you could simply take something like John 3:16 and put it into words your children can understand.  Actually, though, one of the easiest approaches is simply to ask God to give you the words.  Scripture tells us that the Spirit will give us utterance, or put the words in our mouth.  This can be for something terribly complex, or something terribly simple.  I'm not sure which a conversation with a child is, it may be both.

3. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Princessa,

I have a Hub discussing parallels between Star Wars, the personal spiritual awakening journey, and Christian themes.

It is written for adults, but you could possibly use those ideas in age-appropriate language to make the analogy Peter is talking about.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Spiritual-Journey

Not mentioned in this Hub, but very relevant to your question, is the scene where Obi-Wan Kenobi allows Darth Vader to kill him, saying "If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you can imagine" - because then, free of his mortal body, he can speak to Luke any time, any place "Use the Force, Luke ..." - and he does so at the crucial moment to help Luke save the Universe from the evil Empire.

This is a great parallel to the crucifixion and resurrection (and the ongoing help and guidance available for those who tune in) in terms a child can grasp.

Good luck ...

Jenny

4. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 16 years ago

Thanks for the answers guys.

5. Jeromeo profile image60
    Jeromeoposted 16 years ago

The Resurrecton,

A promise form God, based, Jesus Chirst, a perfect man; sacrificiing his life so that all who die believing in Him/Jesus Christ will be ressurrected; and given a second chance at life.

Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, all speak of Jesus' resurrection. and help to explain that it is a showing of the true power of God, and his love for his creation; man kind.  Also that God did not intend for man to suffer death, but to live forever.

It's what make life bearable.

1. Andrew0208 profile image58
      Andrew0208posted 16 years agoin reply to this

The resurrection Christ was a perfect plan of God to have man justified, made free from the law of the spirit of sin and death. Death was permanetly defeated by the resurrection power of Jesus. This accomplishment of the Lord of Host made us righteous of Him in Christ Jesus. We now live in Him having the same supernatural abilities of Him.

6. Kelley Eidem profile image42
    Kelley Eidemposted 16 years ago

One explanation I heard recently that was helpful was that the Resurrection was a lesson to each of us that we can resurrect ourselves from our own 'grave' of despair, negativity, etc, and raise ourselves into the light.

What I liked about it is that rather than merely being a one-time story, it can become a key for living, something that each of us can implement into our own lives on a regular basis.

Each time we do that, it becomes a new miracle.

The best to you.

Kelley

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Everyday it seems that the Spirit world is coming ten fold.  What a beautiful day it will be.  smile

7. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Kelley,

Sounds like "A Course In Miracles" ...

Jenny

1. Kelley Eidem profile image42
      Kelley Eidemposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that would fit, wouldn't it. I heard it from a minister on Easter.

The best to you.

Kelley

8. 2patricias profile image60
    2patriciasposted 16 years ago

Hi, this may help with young children.
    Try telling the Easter story & explaining simply that Jesus came alive again after he had died on the cross. This means that we need not be afraid to die ourselves as Jesus has promised that if we follow him we will live again in heaven with him. Keep it straightforward so kids can understand.
    You could illustrate the Easter story by having fun making an Easter Garden with your children (plastic box as base, sand or bird cage paper for ground, yoghurt pot to make cave, stones to surround pot & large one to cover entrance to roll away, twigs or lolly sticks stuck together & supported with plasticine for cross & add a few pretty flowers as kids enjoy decorating things). Children can understand things better when they can see & touch concrete objects.
    For the resurrection, you could explain that butterflies emerge from a  crysalis which was a  caterpillar first. Appearances can change, the crysalis looks dead but a beautiful butterfly emerges from it & a wonderful new life starts. It's not a perfect  comparison for the resurrection but it's not bad! Butterflies can be fun to paint. Fold a large piece of sugar-paper in two, draw half a butterfly using the fold as a centre, cut out. Paint one wing & body half with children's thick paint, fold other half over whilst side one is wet & press to print off an image, hence both wings of butterfly are covered in paint. It's fun & reinforces the idea. There are books which explain the life cycle of a butterfly that you could read. There are also kids books on the subject of Easter, try a Christian bookshop or reputable website.
    Churches often have Easter kids clubs in the UK, maybe a church near to you would have one & if so hopefully Easter would be explained in a child friendly way there. For example, we tell the Easter story through puppets & songs at our kids club.
    Hope this is helpful,

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)