jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

Conscription

1. WizardOfOz profile image61
    WizardOfOzposted 6 years ago

- Fight for your freedom... Or else!

2. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 6 years ago

huh?

3. profile image0
    Over The Hillposted 6 years ago

What are you asking?

4. WizardOfOz profile image61

Is conscription a sound philosophy?

1. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would think that conscription is embedded in the second amendment. The right to bear arms, would create a conscription military on a personal basis. Those who have arms could defend the country on a whole if needed.

Perhaps, I have the wrong ideology about conscription. But, that's my take on it. wink

WizardOfOzposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I meant more as in citizens being forced by law to serve in their nation' military force in foreign wars.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
          Jim Hunterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

A conscripted military is never a good idea, one must be interested in fighting to be an effective weapon. Make no mistake a soldier/Marine are weapons, and the greatest military this world has ever seen is completely a volunteer force.

1. Sab Oh profile image59
            Sab Ohposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Depends on circumstances.

Ok, do you have an example?

South Korea

I don't know much about South Korea, would you mind explaining what you mean?

South Korea exists in the shadow of a crazed mortal enemy that has thousands of missiles armed, primed, and pointed at their capital, not to mention a likely nuclear bomb that their utterly insane leader might actually use. Left to a voluntary basis not enough young men would sign up to maintain the military force necessary to protect the country and deter their enemy, but with mandatory military service South Korea has built a strong, modern defense that it most certainly needs.

2. Cagsil profile image60
          Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, the draft isn't a viable option. Serving is a choice, not a requirement. wink

WizardOfOzposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It certainly defies the idea of freedom.

2. Sab Oh profile image59

Of course it is a "viable option." We have had one before and may again in the future. I don't think it is the best way to maintain a standing army in general, but it most certainly is an option available in times of emergency.

5. WizardOfOz profile image61

Is it a sound argument?  To claim freedom as so important that it be defended by restraint?  I don't agree with conscription because I can't see sense in it.

working