jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)

Will this weekend be historic for women in sports?

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image82
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 4 years ago

We have Danica Patrick in the Daytona 500 to be televised at noon on Sunday on Fox. She already made history by getting the pole position.

On Saturday night we have the first woman ever, Ronda Rousey, headlining a UFC event on PPV.

You go girls!

1. mattforte profile image93
      mattforteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There is also some banter about a woman kicker attending the NFL Combine. They say her odds of being drafted are zilch, but that it is big news because she is the first woman ever to attend the combine.

I bring it up because it is news...however false. Pretty sure Tom Brady was at the combine a long time ago.

BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Since there apparently no quarterbacks at the combine, there should be some girls there.

As the great Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Lambert once said, "Quarterbacks should wear dresses." So no reason why girls shouldn't wear football uniforms.

1. profile image0
          Sarra Garrettposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Really?  I just don't believe that women have to get into every sport, club, male college just to prove a point.  Football is football, it's a man domineered sport with yelling, screaming, a&& patting, beer drinking...you get my drift.  I'm a girl and I'm saying this. Danika Patrick is a different story, such as female boxers as their opponent are females.  But, gee, isn't this going a little too far?

Personally, I'm in favor of women in combat.

Practice, we're talking about practice.

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Historic no. Entertaining yes.

Well, the fight was entertaining. Ronda Rousey won with her signature submission hold, but it took almost a full round and her opponent did give her a battle there for a awhile. What that victory did do is assure that she will be headlining more UFC Pay-Per-View cards.

And today it's Danica's turn.

2. afriqnet profile image65
    afriqnetposted 4 years ago

I wish her all the best ...She will surely make a historic moment in Women Motorsports fraternity

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

Hi BGJack, nice topic. First black woman to have a NASCAR license Tia Norfleet.  Danica and Rousey (whooaaaa UFC woman) are roaring! :-)

Let's get this race going!

I'm getting tired of watching Erin Andrews interview people like 50 Cent. Erin was looking for Danica to talk to her but couldn't find her.

Oh, there's Danica, with her hand on her heart during the national anthem. I suppose it will take some more time for her to get into the car.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62

8th is good enough, YOOHOO!!

8th is good enough for the best finish for a woman. Too bad she got boxed in there and the end and couldn't make a move, or waited too long to make a move.
      I think Danica will be winning some races real soon.

2. billypetty22 profile image59
      billypetty22posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Danica did a lot better than many people had expectations for. She hung up there all day, but in my opinion played it too cautious, and never tried to make a move. If she did however, no one might have gone with her and she finishes out of top 15. She has a lot to learn, but the main thing for her is making allies, and getting respect from the rest of the drivers. That will pay off in these restrictor plate races.

I totally agree with you. Had she made a move it could have backfired. One step at a time I guess. Now she knows she can run with the big boys. It must have been incredibly frustrating for her to play it safe there, but probably a wise decision in the long run.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62

Woman kicker at the NFL combine was injured! hmmm.

Yeah, Manti Te'o tackled her and said he wouldn't let her up until she agreed to be his real girlfriend.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

LOL, You are funny :-)

6. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image82
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 4 years ago

Danica's having a historic week. She wrecked her car in a bad crash on Sunday and then got hit in the head by a rock.

working