jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

How to Jump Higher for Basketball

1. fatheadfred profile image61
    fatheadfredposted 5 years ago

Doing squats is the best exercise, helps builds up the leg muscles needed for jumping

1. onlinecashdigest profile image60
      onlinecashdigestposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with this because you leg muscles would be the one to propel you in a vertical jump.

2. dave360 profile image78
    dave360posted 5 years ago

Essentialy you have to develop your lower section: quads, harmstrings, calves, but also your core muscle (abs) Playing bball+rope skipping+weight training (squat, lunges,calf raise...) is the best combination

3. AskAshlie3433 profile image60
    AskAshlie3433posted 5 years ago

Your either born with it or your not.

1. 0
      Travis_S_Musicposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not true. Far from true actually. All that is required is actually taking the time to train properly, which many people are lazy to do.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image67
      I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You can't do much to increase your height, but you can do a lot to increase your vertical. I went from not being able to touch the net to being able to dunk when I was in college. It's all about form and developing the right muscles for jumping. Squats are great, but also did a lot of what I called "endurance jumping" -- basically just jumping as high as I could, landing, and immediately jumping again. It's tiring, but it produced results. I think the live jumping (as opposed to just doing squats) helped me get my upper body involved in helping the jump instead of just being dead weight.

1. 0
        Travis_S_Musicposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Increasing height is increasing vertical..vertical being up...up being height..

1. I am DB Cooper profile image67
          I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I meant standing height. Jumping height is vertical.

4. jaycase profile image60
    jaycaseposted 5 years ago

All of the replies so far are true. As a former football, basketball, and track athlete I can tell you that constant running and jumping seems to strengthen all of the muscles needed for jumping. Other than that and regular weight training exercises targeting your legs, I would also recommend researching the Strength Shoe(You can Google it). I personally have not used them, but I've seen firsthand the results. The shoe's manufacturer claims it will improve your speed, quickness, and jumping ability. They say you can expect improvements of -0.2 sec off your 40-yard dash time and +4inches to your vertical leap. Some of my football and basketball teammates used them and I will say they did see small improvements in speed. However, as far as jumping goes there were gains of at least 3"-4". That's all I know of.

5. kcreery profile image61
    kcreeryposted 5 years ago

Doing box jumps where you step off a 12" high box onto the ground and then pop right back on the box is a good way to condition your body to jump.  Stretching your leg muscles helps too.

6. anonymous79 profile image61
    anonymous79posted 5 years ago

I enjoy all of the comments. Here is my reply.