jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

How do you stop dogs (your own and others) from jumping up at you?

1. Linda Bliss profile image91
    Linda Blissposted 6 years ago

How do you stop dogs (your own and others) from jumping up at you?

I'm just back from walkies and covered in mud. Three dogs (including my own) have jumped up and planted their muddy paw prints all over me. Any tips to stop this from happening again? yikes)

2. EZFITNESS profile image60
    EZFITNESSposted 6 years ago

yes it takes a little time ,But every time they go to jump up on you , you turn away from them and say no and they normally get ideal that's not the way to get attention they want.

3. mepperly profile image67
    mepperlyposted 6 years ago

I have always used the knee in the chest method... it is unpleasant for them to be greeted with your knee every time they jump followed by a booming NO! This has always worked for me with my dogs and they don't jump up at all.

4. jandee profile image58
    jandeeposted 6 years ago

In your case,3 dogs, you deal with the leader of the 3 by walking towards it,hand,palm, out and at same time saying down boy and forcing dog to walk backwards.   You have to be sure to be consistent-good luck

5. dappledesigns profile image90
    dappledesignsposted 6 years ago

I had a vet once tell me to tap their back toes with your foot. It doesn't have to be painful, just enough that is makes them back up because most don't like their toes touched and their natural instinct is to back up.

6. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 6 years ago

My Dad always told me to knee them in the chest--they seem to learn not to make the same mistake again!

7. sara xiao profile image57
    sara xiaoposted 6 years ago

It seems that the way of "knee in the chest" can help you effectively. Perhaps you need to give them some food to eat .

8. Linda Bliss profile image91
    Linda Blissposted 6 years ago

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I feel I will go out armed with lots of good advice next time its muddy outside! yikes)

9. Peter Leeper profile image81
    Peter Leeperposted 6 years ago

Kick them squarely in the .....   just kidding....if it is your own dog a strong NO and a correction by pulling the dog down by his or her collar on a consistent b asis should do the trick.  It takes patience though and an ability to not get angry and scare the dog in the process.  This will only distract them from what you are trying to teach and make them only concentrate on the fact that they are afraid of you.

10. Doc Snow profile image96
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

I've had pretty good success with a knee to their chest or abdomen as they jump, accompanied by a firm 'no' or 'no jump.'  I hasten to add that the purpose of the knee is not to strike them or hurt them, just to push them off balance.  It's just enough to let them know that you don't like this behavior.  I suspect that this wouldn't work for small dogs, though!

And of course, there may be times when they just get too excited and forget.  Really bombproof training takes an awful lot of time, effort, and consistency!  I usually settle for 'pretty good.'

11. profile image54
    consentinoposted 6 years ago

I have heard of people kneeing them, or keep a squirt bottle and squirt the dog in the face until he stops.