K9keystrokes profile image 92

Explain the actual difference between the "World Wide Web" and the "Internet" in simple terms.

So often I see people who, when speaking or writing, interchange the term "world wide web" and the "internet" without really understanding the differences between the two (yes, I have been one of them). I am hoping some brilliant computer person will be able to create a hub or answer that can clarify this information for those of us who may not have a strong grasp on computer science terms. (Pictures would be really helpful, too)! Thanks for playing along!

Zelkiiro profile image85

Zelkiiro says

MarleneB profile image95

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) says

• Don Fairchild profile image

Don Fairchild 3 years ago

This is close, think of telephone poles and cell towers as the internet, and the people talking to work places and businesses as the world wide web. Also, the WWW function is only one function out of many that occurs on the internet.

howtobeasuccess profile image83

How to be a Success (howtobeasuccess) says

theodoresumrall profile image61

Theodore S. Sumrall (theodoresumrall) says

OutWest profile image61

OutWest says

• K9keystrokes profile image

India Arnold (K9keystrokes) 3 years ago

OutWest! Thank you far a really clear and simple answer. I appreciate that you shared you know-how.

Cheers~

Bitman9000 profile image59

Bitman9000 says

• K9keystrokes profile image

India Arnold (K9keystrokes) 3 years ago

Wow, Bitman9000! Now that is an amazing answer! I love how you use common elements to define both the internet, and the www. Thank you so much for taking the time to share. Possibly a hub on the topic is in the scope of your expertise!? I'd read it!

JimTxMiller profile image86

Jim Miller (JimTxMiller) says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

The technical concepts are merged. But there are still policy issues. The concept of world is not like earth. Our world contains politics. Internet protocols are available everywhere. But when we speak of North Korea, they cannot access the www.

60

keichimogapiadk says

momfirms profile image59

Therese Miller (momfirms) says

• K9keystrokes profile image

India Arnold (K9keystrokes) 3 years ago

momfirms, thank you for sharing your answer to the internet vs www question. Makes much greater sense now.