jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

eBay and Paypal scam- BEWARE!!

1. JKenny profile image94
    JKennyposted 4 years ago

For anyone who sells items on eBay- be careful of people contacting you asking to pay for an item outside of eBay. I was contacted by a woman interested in buying a watch I had listed for 70 pounds- she wanted to send it to a cousin in Nigeria. I naively agreed and gave her the email address I use for Paypal. I got a reply stating that before the money could be credited to my account, I needed to dispatch the item and supply a shipping reference number. My mom took it to the post office, but the postmaster wouldn't send it because he sensed a scam. Now, after a little detective work I've realised that I've dodged a 70 pound bullet.

All I can say at this point is , and thank god that I have an honest and concerning postmaster. I am little annoyed though, that I didn't figure this out earlier; but you live and learn, and I didn't lose anything, apart from a little bit of pride, but that's ok.

So, be careful everybody- only ever sell items through eBay directly.

1. WriteAngled profile image92
      WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's also against eBay terms to complete a sale off the site, because it means you don't pay their seller fees.

1. JKenny profile image94
        JKennyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know, I must have been smoking something when I agreed to it. It just goes to show what a dangerous place the internet can be, especially for people who aren't 100 per cent streetwise like me. Thanks WriteAngled.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Even if they require a shipping reference number, you can get that without shipping.

First rule of ebay: get money before shipping item.

3. saphemerald profile image59
    saphemeraldposted 4 years ago

realy we all need to be careful, u were lucky. Pls play smart and follow ur instincts

4. tlcs profile image77
    tlcsposted 21 months ago

Excellen advise JKenny.