jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

wordpress security?

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago

I've just started at Wordpress and I'm wondering-How secure is Wordpress compared to other blogs and websites in general in keeping your content safe?

2. skyfire profile image74
    skyfireposted 5 years ago

You mean from "plagiarists"  or "Hackers"  ? It is hard for any CMS to protect writers in case of plagiarism. Just disabling right click doesn't give you security from scrapers. As for wordpress security in terms of datbase there are plenty of security plugins and wordpress is secure CMS if you keep it updated regularly.

FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I meant hackers, thank you. I knew the answer to plagarism already, sadly, but I was wondering about hacking.

1. cheedi profile image61
        cheediposted 5 years ago in reply to this

http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2010 … ty-tweaks/

if you are looking for plugins then wp-defender and akismet plugins can defend your blog to some extent.

FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

thanks for the URL

3. waynet profile image48
    waynetposted 5 years ago

It is secure but you've got to take extra steps to make it more secure, like using some of the security plug ins like WP secure...Any website online is vunerable to hackers no matter what you do...it's about coming up with strong passwords and keeping all theme and plug-in updates regularly updated for your wordpress site.

4. marktahiliani profile image60
    marktahilianiposted 5 years ago

Wordpress definitely has some security flaws that can be exploited. It is a good idea to hide which version of Wordpress you are using to make your site less vulnerable to automated programs that scan for specific versions with known holes. Moving your .htaccess file to a secure location where it cannot be modified by anyone other than you is also a good idea. There are some good free plugins that will do quite a bit of the work for you. Above all else, be sure you have the latest version of Wordpress installed at all times so you stay up to date on security fixes.

1. Jester98 profile image71
      Jester98posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Use Wordpress Firewall2 I use it on all my blogs and I amazed at the amount of attacks I get that are of course blocked. You can also look into using cloudflare. I use it on one of my bigger sites, but want to start using it for all my sites. They block a lot of junk out there and the base one is free. Cant beat free!

5. MissouriSEOCompan profile image61
    MissouriSEOCompanposted 4 years ago

Wordpess is a popular CMS. Something as popular as wordpress is going to be deconstructed and analyzed for vulnerabilities more than the less popular platforms. It's not entirely secure but should work if you're simply blogging. If you're running ecommerce, I'd advise against it.

1. Jester98 profile image71
      Jester98posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I run a handful of sites with eCommerce on wp, just make sure it is up to date and you have a bit of experience with it so you can fix any issues that arise. cart66 is pretty good for wp if you wanted to sell stuff.

6. Hamad Irfan profile image81
    Hamad Irfanposted 4 years ago

Some really good tips are shared in this thread! I too was thinking about the security of WordPress blogs, as recently I found a popular blogger's account go hacked and he lost all his posts.

7. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 4 years ago

Make sure to always keep wp up to date, keep your plugins up to date, understand your file permission settings (775/775 etc. ) only use trusted plugins, keep backups.

Its a jungle out there and WP sites are heavily targetted.