jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Google Discontinuing Knol

1. GmaGoldie profile image85
    GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago

I was reading the comparison that Edmonson wrote about HP and Google's product Knol and how the very same article had a higher ranking than HP. First kudos to Edmonson for researching and testing his hypothesis. When I went to research more information about Knol, I learned Google is re-prioritizing and discontinuing Knol - effective May 2012 and moving over to Annontum - in google's own words "create Annotum, an open-source scholarly authoring and publishing platform based on WordPress."

Is this good news for HP?

What Google products are "high impact" products? Where will Google be investing their time and money?

2. whoisbid profile image79
    whoisbidposted 4 years ago

Thanks for this news. Knol was trying to compete with Wikipedia and Google failed. I wonder why? They have failed at so many things over the years but still remain number one for search. I think they will fail with Google Plus as well and it will become an embarrassment for them later on. They are linking to Plus from their search engine which could be penalized as an irrelevant link in other websites.

3. Hamad Irfan profile image80
    Hamad Irfanposted 4 years ago

Knol and many of other Google's services have failed because they don't make any significant developments to it. Knol never came out of beta testing. And now since the Panda update, Google has taken on content farms so, may be it wants to discontinue its own content farm. As for other services I too think Google + would fail, as there isn't any great charm in it, unless Google really starts competing with facebook aggressively.

4. Peter Hoggan profile image86
    Peter Hogganposted 4 years ago

I think google are too entrenched in search to put up any fight against the advances Facebook are making. Generation Y is growing up and its the Facebook's of the world that stand to gain. Plus 1 will unoubtedly go the same way as knol and wave. IMO, if you have a business you need to be on Facebook. In a couple of years from now, unless they they change in some remarkable way, Google will not be worth bothering about.