Wild West: Top 10 Hot Employment and Travel Opportunities in Wyoming
The Real Wild West
A genuine Wild West state, Wyoming was purchsed as territory by the United States in 1803. It was part of the French land bought with the Louisiana Purchase, a huge expanse of wilderness that many in the USA called a foolish investment in wasteland. Not so! Natural wonders, valuable natural resources, and Yellowstone National Park are very much worth the initial investment. When President Theodore Roosevelt later explored the territory and state for potential national park lands, he was delighted.
Early Women's Rights
After the American Civil War, Wyoming Territory was organized in 1869. The territory's women were the very first in USA to be allowed to vote.
- First County Public Libraries: The Laramie County Public Library System: August 1886.
- First National Park: Yellowstone National Park, 1872.
- First National Forest: Shoshone National Forest, 1891. Its Wapiti Ranger Station was the first in the nation as well.
- First National Monument: Devil's Tower, desingated by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1906.
Farmlands are not only a strong part of the state economy, but interesting tourist attractions as well. Wyoming has recently placed second in the US for wool production and third in sheep and lambs; but also boasts 1.5 million head of cattle. Agricultural crops include oats, wheat, corn sugar beets, alfalfa, barley; with sustainability in mind and bio-diesel enterprises spreading.
National Park System In Wyoming
Wyoming Travel and Culture
- Buffalo Bill State Park, Cody Wyoming - AllTrips
- Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo The Daddy Of Em All
The official home page for Cheyenne Frontier Days, the world-famous annual celebration of the American West featuring the "Daddy of 'em All," an award-winning and action-packed rodeo event.
- Fort Laramie National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)
Elk National Refuge
- USDA Forest Service, Black Hills National Forest: 101 S 21st St, Sundance, WY 82729
- Wyoming State Museum
- Yellowstone National Park -- US National Park Service
10th Greatest Place to Stand in the USA
Old Faithful was voted Number 10 out of 100 Greatest Places to Stand in the USA by readers of Stoodthere.com in 2009.
Top 10 High Demand Jobs
Total jobs listed across all Internet sources reveal the following Top 10 Hot Jobs advertised in Wyoming from early 2009 to the present, with major surges beginning in 2013.
- Truck Drivers
- Truck Owner-Operators
- UPS Package Handlers and Supervisors
- Physicians – Family Practice, Internal Medicine,
- Physical Therapists
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Salespeople (especially in Insurance Sales)
- Occupational Therapists
- Assistant Managers
- Healthcare Food & Nutrition Aides
Additional High Demand Jobs
Pharmacy Managers, Medical Technologists, and Event Planners.
Top Hiring Employers
These are major sources for full-time and part-time employment:
- Pizza Hut and Taco Bell
- Cheyenne Regional Med Center
- Locumtenens.com – Health and medical recruiters
- Wyoming Division of HR
- State of Wyoming – Government
- Medical Connections
- Brookhaven National Laboratory
- K-Mart – Full and part-time, crew and management
- United Medical Center
- Wyoming Medical Center
- Vail Resorts
- LifePoint Hospitals
Government Estimates of Hot Jobs
Summary and Explanation
Federal, State and County governments project or forecast occupational titles they see as probable to offer the most job listings in the future. These projections are compiled every two years and those represented below are of public record and extend through 2016 or 2018.
If you compare sets of projections from biennial forecasts, it is not unusual for you to find some overlap of job titles. A marked difference would be seen in cases of unexpected events like that of the large oil discovery in New Town, North Dakota; or early layoffs art several large companies in a state in the same few months’ time.
Compare the High Demand Jobs listed above with the Government Estimates and look for matches, remembering that the estimated Hot Jobs are expected to appear in job listings throughout the 10 years of the projections, but may cluster in just a few of these years or may appear all at once in one or two years.
If projected titles appear on the job listings, they may not appear 12 months form now, and titles not appearing may or may not appear in the top slots at any time. At the same time, these forecasts are re-done every two years to stay up to date with economic and job market needs, are likely never 100% accurate, and are to be used as a guideline.
Government Forecasts of Most Job Openings to 2016:
- Mechanical Drafters
- Civil Engineering Technicians
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technicians
- Industrial Engineering Technicians
- Other Engineering Technicians, except Drafters
- Surveying and Mapping Technicians
- Life Scientists
- Zoologists and Wildlife Biologists and Other Biological Scientists
- Conservation Scientists
Government Forecasts for Highest Percentage of Increases:
All of these jobs are in EDUCATION:
- Recreation and Fitness Studies Teachers, Postsecondary [91% increase from 2006 - 2016]
- Vocational Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Postsecondary Teachers, All Other
- Primary, Secondary, and Special Education School Teachers
- Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education
- Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
- Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
- Middle School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education
- Vocational Education Teachers, Middle School
- Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Vocational Education
- Vocational Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Special Education Teachers, Preschool, Kindergarten, and Elementary School
- Special Education Teachers, Middle School
- Special Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Other Teachers and Instructors
- Adult Literacy, Remedial Education, and GED Teachers and Instructors
- Teachers and Instructors, All Other
- Librarians, Curators, and Archivists
- Museum Technicians and Conservators
- Library Technicians
- Other Education, Training, and Library Occupations
- Audio-Visual Collections
Largest Employers in Wyoming
The following employers and companies maintain the largest employee groups in Wyoming. They may not always be hiring the largest number of workers at any given time.
- University Of Wyoming - Laramie
- Natrona County Schools - Casper
- Cheyenne Regional Medical Center - Cheyenne
- Cheyenne Regional Medical Center (2nd site) - Cheyenne
- Air National Guard - Cheyenne
- Wyoming Medical Center - Casper
- FMC Industrial Chemicals Group - Green River
- Jackson Lake Lodge - Moran
- North Antelope Mine - Wright
- Powder River Coal - Wright
- Walmart Distribution - Cheyenne
- Sierra Trading Post - Cheyenne
- Halliburton - Rock Springs
- Walmart Supercenters - Cheyenne
- Campbell County Memorial Hospital - Gillette
- Dept. of Highway Development - Cheyenne
- Dept. of Highway Safety - Cheyenne
- Transportation Dept. - Cheyenne
- Thunder Basin Coal - Gillette
- General Chemical Soda Ash - Green River
© 2010 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Pennsylvania has at least 1,000 places to visit that are awesome as well as interesting. This list of 10 attractions all include archaeological sites that will fascinate your family and friends.
Cherry Springs State Park is a showplace for the Northern Lights. Every 11 years, sunspot activity increases to maximum, allowing the Northern Lights to be seen even more often.
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.