jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (23 posts)

Just had an earthquake...

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

I wonder if I'm in for a couple dozen more like last time...

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago in reply to this

So, in 1994, I moved to California (Granada Hills, SF Valley) eight months after the quake in Northridge.  Five aftershocks later, I headed back to the Midwest.  I think I can handle hurricanes, tornadoes, thunderstorms, whatever.  BUT, the earth ought not move beneath your feet.  Move to Michigan.  smile

1. tirelesstraveler profile image85
        tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

LoL My mother-in-law and two of my husband brothers moved from from Michigan to California for a year.  Shortly after they got here there was a big quake centered about 6 miles from our house.  By the
        time I got to their house one of my brother-in-laws was packing his car to go back to MI.

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yup.  My aunt's dearest friend moved back to Tennessee after over 30 yrs. immediately following that Northridge quake in '94.

Can't say as I blame her.

smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image85

Well, USGS has reported 6 earthquakes so far. But they seem to be gradually moving farther away. I only felt that jolting first one. I'm kind of in nervous mode today, I don't need this...

3. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 4 years ago

I just heard about it on the news. They are behind since they only reported 3 so far. But you are right there so you have more up to date info.  Are those actually 6 separate earthquakes or are they considered aftershocks.

That first one that was like a jolt is kind of unusual -- they usually are more like rolling feelings. Am I right?

Hope you're okay out there.

paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

USGS retracted one of their reports, bringing the count down to 5. I could go with rolling, instead of jolting. What with the lamps swaying and it actually making me feel a little dizzy. Seems to have all stopped now. Famous last words...

1. HattieMattieMae profile image68
        HattieMattieMaeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Glad you're safe! smile

2. Greekgeek profile image94
      Greekgeekposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oh, so it wasn't my imagination! I meant to check the local seismometer when I felt that, but I was in the middle of work and didn't stop to look. Pretty colors on that chart.

Glen, the jolt usually means you're closer to the epicenter, or on harder rock (which is fairly rare in California — east coast, by contrast, get so few earthquakes that when they do get one they ring like a bell and transmit a long, long way. Here it's more like hitting sand with a mallet.)

Once you get further out from the epicenter, you tend to get the waterbed effect.

I barely felt this one, though it made a water glass on my desk wiggle a bit. A bit of a queasy feeling but not enough to do my usual earthquake check — look at Twitter and see who's posting #earthquake. You can usually get a rough estimate of magnitude and epicenter by seeing how many people are posting in all caps, and how many people are being sarcastic. wink

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
        Glenn Stokposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Greekgeek, that's a very clear explanation. The mallet hitting sand is a great analogy. The water wiggling in a glass is something I experienced watching. But not during an earthquake. It was when I used to work in the Sears Tower in Chicago. On a windy day the building would rock. On higher floors one could see the water in a glass wiggle like that. But ever so slow -- about a minute for one complete wiggle. It can't be felt. Not anything like an earthquake.

4. Iammattdoran profile image86
    Iammattdoranposted 4 years ago

Where are you?

Under a pile of rubble. I'm amazed I'm still able to post here. Just kidding... Southern California. And USGS has deleted 2 more of their reports, saying false alarms caused by automated equipment. So, looks like a quickie 3 and that's it.

1. Greekgeek profile image94
        Greekgeekposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm seeing a 4.7 in Anza and a few related aftershocks around it. That's just barely strong enough to reach parts of LA, so I imagine that's what I felt. It was enough to make me look up and check the cat, which usually means "4 to 5, some distance away." wink

5. paradigmsearch profile image85

USGS earthquake count back up to 5 again. However, haven't felt a thing here since the 4.7 one.

6. Greekgeek profile image94
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

Remember, there's a constant background patter on the USGS earthquake charts for California all the time. It's when you don't see anything that you should worry! (I'm looking at YOU, Cascadia Fault.)

7. paradigmsearch profile image85

The USGS SoCal earthquake count is up to 8 now. But all continues to be peaceful where I'm at.

8. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

Jolly good, PDS!

9. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

Jolly good, PDS!

10. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image95
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago

I heard about the quakes on the news - was thinking of you.  How's it going now?

What with this being year 2013... I'll have to get back to you on that in 9 months. big_smile

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image95
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oh dear.  Are you referring to the numerology implications?  Or do you mean there are no 'instructions' for life as we know it past the the end if the Mayan calendar?

11. paradigmsearch profile image85

Both sound reasonable.

12. profile image0
    GoldenThreadPressposted 4 years ago

Stay safe and far away from flying shards! Hope it gets quiet for you soon.--Deb

working