jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (26 posts)

Earthquake in Southern Spain

1. IzzyM profile image89
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

Newsflash on the TV says there's been an earthquake in Lorca in Southern Spain - about 100 miles from here - maybe less as the crow flies. 5.3 and up to 10 dead. A lot of buildings extensively damaged.
    I didn't even know there was a fault line here and no tremors felt where I am, so far.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

OH CRAP! I'm calling my family in Granada. THANKS!

1. IzzyM profile image89
        IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Fingers crossed that they are OK!

2. CMHypno profile image87
    CMHypnoposted 6 years ago

It's just been on the news here Izzy. There have been people injured, buildings collapsing and cars crushed. They said that Lorca was in a seismically active area, on a fault line that runs under the Mediterranean, and it was the worst earthquake that Spain has experienced for 50 years.

Hope everything stays calm where you are Izzy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13368599

At least 10 people have also been killed, so it is very sad and I hope that there are not more aftershocks

1. IzzyM profile image89

Well, judging by the BBC link I am well inside the area that should have felt it and I never felt a thing! Hope any aftershocks are mild. It's funny, it said on the TV newsflash  one person had been killed, a child, yet there are 10 according to the BBC, confirmed by the Prime Minister.
      I just think the TV got it wrong, and they only put the news flash out now while it all happened a few hours ago according to reports.

3. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

We have family in Lorca. He's okay but the house is destroyed.

1. IzzyM profile image89

Thank God he is safe, but that is tragic about his house. Sorry to hear this, Klara.

1. profile image0

Thanks. It's a relief to hear they're ok. But the pictures are gruesome. There are more than a dozen people dead.

4. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Spain isn't a place you associate with earthquakes, but then we always forget about the Mediterranean having fault lines.  Glad to hear it didn't affect you, Izzy.

1. IzzyM profile image89

Thanks Marisa. I'm in a brand new house but it doesn't look to me like it would stand up well to an earthquake in all honesty. Built on a hill over three levels, the main level is second floor and it is supported by steel beams.
      I suppose the insurance would cover the house, but how would I get online without my laptop??? just joking...earthquakes are serious and there is a relative of Klara just lost his house. Not funny. Even worse, people's lives have been lost sad

5. Susana S profile image91
    Susana Sposted 6 years ago

This was a shock to me. I didn't realise that Spain had active fault lines. I did a little research and apparently the earthquakes were predicted a few months ago: http://www.valenciacostablanca.com/vcbf … earthquake

6. CMHypno profile image87
    CMHypnoposted 6 years ago

I do think that we tend to forget about how seismically active the Mediterranean region is. Lisbon was completely destroyed by earthquake, fire and tsunami in 1755, Santorini is a volcanic island, and there are several active volcanoes in Italy.

I just hope that there is no further damage in the Lorca area or loss of life. Make sure you have a sturdy door frame or table to shelter under Izzy!

7. IzzyM profile image89
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

OMG I should have read all those things before I moved here. That link you put up Susanna is fascinating - that was written in January?

8. IzzyM profile image89
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

This is fascinating! Half of Rome shut down yesterday because a scientists from 100 years ago predicted an earthquake to happen. He said predicting earthquakes was easy because it was all to do with the alignment of the stars, moon etc and seismologists today have rubbished his claims, but he has been right on several instances this century. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … fears.html

1. profile image0

Wow! Thanks for sharing this. Great article!

1. IzzyM profile image89

I was amazed when I read that. The distance can't be that great between Spain and Italy, and it was along the same fault line.

1. profile image0

I do believe that everything is connected. I totally believe that the allineation of the planets can affect the earth.

1. IzzyM profile image89

Looks like it can and does, after all the moon controls the tides!

1. profile image0

And the crazy people! lol

9. Disappearinghead profile image85
    Disappearingheadposted 6 years ago

Got an email from my Dad who lives 45miles from the town. He said he never felt a thing.

1. IzzyM profile image89

Yes it seems to have been very localized because it was so shallow - only 2 miles deep. I never felt anything either and I was sat here at my computer at the time.

1. profile image0

How long have you lived in Alicante? Or are you from there?

1. IzzyM profile image89

Been here 8 years now, not Alicante city, Alicante province. I live inland in the mountains.

1. profile image0

Cool. I love Spain. I'm from Cuba, but my husband is from Granada. The entire crew lives there, so we visit at least once a year.

1. IzzyM profile image89

Oh wow! Cuba? I just published a series of hubs about their revolutionary (through necessity) growing their own food. Fascinating place! And Spanish speaking too. That would  have made things easier for you having a Spanish husband!

1. profile image0

Yes, Izzy. It's funny how fate works. We met in a regular chatroom, not a dating site. He was in Spain and I was in Miami. We've been happily married for six years.

I must read your hubs on Cuba. I've avoided writing political articles about my country, but one day I might get around to it. smile Send me the link to your hubs in an email if you don't mind.

working