Do you think California will be getting an earthquake after what happened in Jap

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. barbergirl28 profile image84
    barbergirl28posted 13 years ago

Do you think California will be getting an earthquake after what happened in Japan?

There is obviously a domino effect that happens when these types of natural disasters strike. Do you feel that after the 8.9 Earthquake in Japan that California will get an earthquake to, for lack of a better word, straighten things out?

2. ChristineVianello profile image60
    ChristineVianelloposted 13 years ago

California actually experiences earthquakes on a daily basis. Most of them you can barely feel.

3. DaNoblest profile image60
    DaNoblestposted 13 years ago

Yes and I am waiting for it to happen. Hopefully it is not a bad one. The little ones that do no damage can be fun at times. The big ones are what scare me. It has been awhile since our last large quake.

4. marketingskeptic profile image69
    marketingskepticposted 13 years ago

Yes and I'm totally dreading it. Hopefully it won't be too bad...*fingers crossed*

5. profile image0
    David99999posted 13 years ago

I hope not! Those poor sods in California have enough to contend with!  It could really shake things up!

6. profile image0
    sinisa_sinaposted 13 years ago

Possibility is always there. LA is situated over two tactile plates, as entire California. But Japan peninsula is a bit different and more complex. The Japanese peninsula is made from three of them, and with vulcanic activity. What's very bad combination. In California situation the earthquake of that magnitude could made huge problems, because buildings in california ain't maid like in Japan to sustain high earthquakes.

7. lorie35 profile image60
    lorie35posted 13 years ago

Yes there is a very high likely hood that it will happen to California as well with in the next year or so.  California is right on a major fault line.  Sadly anyone living in a major city will be effected.

If the earthquake takes place in California (on land) the devastation will be great, however if it takes place underwater it will cause a massive tsunami and that will be worse causing massive devastation all over the world. 

Hopefully this will not be the case, however people need to be prepared for the worst.

8. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

We're told that internal parts of Planet Earth is made up of extremely dense material.  We're also told that the earth is very gradually cooling down.   (The moon has already done so, to a greater extent)   So what happens when something cools?    It shrinks.   

Deep below the surface, but between the core and the earth's surface there is are layers which have some malleability: magna-  molten rock!

As the earth has shrunk, cracks have occured along its surface crust (fault lines)   As shrinkage occurs the tectonic 'plates' which make up this crust push against each other as the world slowly shrinks, fighting for the an ever decreasing space.   So they push against each other, bend, snap, slide over and under one another.   Here and there fissures occur through which the hot magna rises to the surface.

Mountain ranges are not as immovable and static as they appear to be.   Errosion might where them down, and yet at the same time they might be being built up by the pushing together of plates scores, even hundreds of miles away.

You need remember that the fault lines run right around the earth, splitting here and there, but there are far more and deeper fissures below the oceans, and far more volcanoes below the oceans than there are above its surface.

Earthquake and volcanic activity never stops.  And I suspect never will stop until the earth has become a dormant cinder with no more heat in it.   But perhaps long before that, it will have been swallowed up by the by then exploding sun.

9. Learn Things Web profile image92
    Learn Things Webposted 13 years ago

California is long overdue for a major earthquake in the 9.0 range. If I remember correctly, there is a 95% chance of that occurring in the next 30 years. I'm hoping I will be be able to move out of the state before it happens. It isn't worth the risk.

10. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

Absolutely yes. It is only a matter of time and I suggest that you should move out of California to be safer or continue to take the risk and hope that you will survive it. I wish everyone the very best out there and be prepared to the best of your ability with knowledge and how to apply the knowledge to keep yourself safe in an earthquake and everything that goes along with it. Peace and be safe. Thank you.

11. DrewCaveney profile image68
    DrewCaveneyposted 13 years ago

Earthquakes tend to be random and usually can't be predicted- so they could be one soon, yes, but there's an equal chance there won't be one, too. And David99999- no pun intended? wink

12. profile image0
    Ari Lamsteinposted 13 years ago

I hope not, because HubPages is located in California!

13. LeeWalls profile image59
    LeeWallsposted 13 years ago

Earthquakes are happening everywhere. It doesn't matter if it's large or small; sign of the times. It's to be expected.

14. profile image0
    Claricefeliciaposted 13 years ago

There has been reports that California and Hawaii may be getting hit with a earthquake and possible Tsunami. I hope not. This world has gone through enough devastation and craziness for this year.

15. profile image0
    lord danielposted 13 years ago

well california is situated on tectonic plates so expect that too,and also it is filled with violence and their cup is reaching to God.Where have u been didnt u here of the super ark storm coming to california well that might not be earthquake but an earthquake is coming soon to california so i have to get my loved one out of there and as for u if u are living there u got few months  remaining to evacuate go to safer places like canada by from lord daniel

16. MayaMex profile image59
    MayaMexposted 13 years ago

Yes, but we don't know when.  Earthquakes, Tsunamis and Nuclear testing are related, together with the natural shifting of the Earth. However, are we pushing the movement of the plates faster when we dig, mine and take out oil? I lived in Mexico for many years and every time there was an underground nuclear test in the USA, we would have an earthquake 3 to 7 days after the test. When it was done in an island (France) we would count 9 days.
    Earthquakes,Tsunamis - Nuclear Testing: Unnatural Disasters? Yes, earthquakes and tsunamis are a normal process of our earth, but I belive we are pushing the earth to react violently by the way we exploit it. Just check this and do the math:- SEOUL (Reuters) North Korea digging tunnels has launched 2 nuclear tests, preparing the third....

17. what_say_you profile image60
    what_say_youposted 13 years ago

I am from California and have experienced plenty of earthquakes in my life. They are something to be feared but I think California should be more worried about fixing the debt so they can afford to be PREPARED for the next big quake. It's really not a matter of "if" but "when". Much of California is built on old infrastructre such as gas pipelines, sewers, water mains etc...if a good size quake hits..California will be in serious trouble. Imagine trying to evacuate people the way Japan has had to...it would be impossible...people can't even get to work on time in the traffic. I wonder how bad the sink hole problem REALLY is. Entire intersections just open up and fall into the earth without having quakes. Very scary. I am glad I live in Lousiana now but I worry about my family ALL THE TIME.

18. sharing the sky profile image70
    sharing the skyposted 13 years ago

Since I haven't been keeping up with all the news reports, analyses and projections, I don't have much science to back up what I say. However, given that California has areas that lie on faultlines of its own there's always a possibility that an earthquake can come along. How the huge Japanese quake recently might portend a significant event in California is something I really don't know. I certainly hope that nothing arises as I have family in both California and Japan.

19. Mofireman profile image57
    Mofiremanposted 13 years ago

Yes I believe there will be one nad you need to know how to work with Fema when it does happen. go to http://www.floodhelponline.com/ctrt/ and get the answers.

20. Pikachusif profile image62
    Pikachusifposted 13 years ago

There is a large possibility that California will be getting an earthquake, most likely around the lines of the Japanese one. I hope this doesn't create a line of super earthquakes that will eventually destroy the world. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

21. EQTactics profile image60
    EQTacticsposted 12 years ago

No, or at least in the July ahead. This July is relatively dry in California

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)