Queensland Floods

Jump to Last Post 51-89 of 89 discussions (154 posts)
  1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...was wondering where you were Barry...read that the electricity was out in parts of Brisbane...so figured that was what happened...i thought that was the area you live in..

...good to hear you are okay...

2. barryrutherford profile image76
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

Still without power.  Water has gone down in Brisbane 12,000 volunteers turned up yesterday to city council to help with massive cleanup
    please read about this incredible woman

http://jacquelinepascarl.blogspot.com/

3. barryrutherford profile image76

pls follow me on Twitter for details on Qld Floods !

Twitter:   barryrutherford

and  @Operation_Angel

4. barryrutherford profile image76

finally power has been restored my hubbing can return to normal

5. barryrutherford profile image76

Floods head south to Victoria

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so the water is going down whre you are ? I guess there will be a hell of a mess to clean up next ?

1. barryrutherford profile image76
        barryrutherfordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes a huge mess a lot of stuff is completely destroyed.  So it will need to be replaced.

6. barryrutherford profile image76

Still need a lot of gumboots tossed our way calling the UK & USA corporate donor must be out there? #qldfloods http://bit.ly/gYXg7p

7. barryrutherford profile image76

Some of the volunteer efforts going on such as  #Baked Relief

http://www.digella.blogspot.com/

8. barryrutherford profile image76
  9. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61

hey Barry and all....what's the update?...i'm off to work, but will check back later....

10. barryrutherford profile image76

Queensland is facing the prospect of two cyclones hitting te state over the next few days

1. profile image0

Boy - you guys a getting all the luck !

11. barryrutherford profile image76

#TC Yasi is predicted to be one of the largest cyclones that Queensland has ever seen with up to one metre of rain...

12. barryrutherford profile image76
  13. barryrutherford profile image76

IDQP0005
    Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
    Queensland
    Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre

TOP PRIORITY
    TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 3
    Issued by the Bureau of Meteorology, Brisbane
    Issued at 11:02pm EST on Monday the 31st of January 2011

A Cyclone WATCH has been declared for coastal and island communities from
    Cooktown to Yeppoon and inland to between Georgetown and Moranbah.

At 10:00 pm EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Category 3 was estimated to be
    1610 kilometres east northeast of Townsville and 1490 kilometres northeast of
    Mackay moving west at 30 kilometres per hour.

The cyclone is expected to intensify as it moves west over the Coral Sea.

Damaging winds are expected to develop about coastal and island communities
    between Cooktown and Yeppoon Wednesday morning, and about adjacent inland parts
    on Wednesday afternoon.

People between Cooktown and Yeppoon should consider what action they will need
    to take if the cyclone threat increases.
    - Information is available from your local government
    - For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster
    Management Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au]
    - For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [SES] on
    132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on
    buildings or roof damage].

Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi at 10:00 pm EST:
    .Centre located near...... 13.4 degrees South 160.6 degrees East
    .Location accuracy........ within 55 kilometres
    .Recent movement.......... towards the west at 30 kilometres per hour
    .Wind gusts near centre... 205 kilometres per hour and INTENSIFYING
    .Severity category........ 3
    .Central pressure......... 963 hectoPascals

Please ensure that neighbours have heard and understood this message,
    particularly new arrivals or those who may not fully understand English.

The next advice will be issued by 5:00 am EST Tuesday 01 February.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio Broadcasts; the Bureau's
    website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 212.  The Bureau and the State
    Emergency Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly

14. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61

...wow....what's next....

15. barryrutherford profile image76

TC Yasi speeds up and intensifies...

16. barryrutherford profile image76

Entire suburbs will be evacuated today in North Queensalnd

17. barryrutherford profile image76

Residents from Cooktown to Mackay 1000 KILOMETRES are on CYCLONE WATCH

AND ARE PREPARING  TO EVACUATE

18. barryrutherford profile image76

Cyclone Yasi of Hurricane Katrina proportions expected to hit North Queensland tOMMOROW

19. barryrutherford profile image76
  20. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61

...oh my....looks bad...

21. barryrutherford profile image76

At 1:00 am EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Category 4 was estimated to be 740 kilometres east northeast of Cairns and 750 kilometres northeast of Townsville moving west southwest at 30 kilometres per hour.

YASI IS A LARGE AND POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND POSES A SERIOUS THREAT TO NORTH QUEENSLAND COMMUNITIES

1. profile image0

Hold on to your hat Barry and good luck to all those in its path.

2. salt profile image61
      saltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hold on and think calm. Hope all is well. I keep thinking of reduced winds and dispersion before it hits the coast. Best wishes and all our thoughts are with you all!!!

22. barryrutherford profile image76

At 4:00 am EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Category 5 was estimated to be 650 kilometres east northeast of Cairns and 650 kilometres northeast of Townsville moving west southwest at 30 kilometres per hour.

SEVERE TC YASI IS A LARGE AND VERY POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND POSES AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY WITHIN THE WARNING AREA, ESPECIALLY BETWEEN PORT DOUGLAS AND TOWNSVILLE.

THIS IMPACT IS LIKELY TO BE MORE LIFE THREATENING THAN ANY EXPERIENCED DURING RECENT GENERATIONS.

The Cyclone has now reached CATEGORY 5 and will continue to move in a west-southwesterly direction during today.

Coastal residents within the warning, and particularly between Port Douglas and Townsville are specifically warned of an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS sea level rise [i.e. storm tide] as the cyclone approaches and crosses the coast. The sea is likely to steadily rise up to a level which will be VERY DANGEROUSLY above the normal tide, with EXTREMELY DAMAGING WAVES, strong currents and flooding of low-lying areas extending some way inland. People living in areas likely to be affected by this flooding should take measures to protect their property as much as possible, and be prepared to follow instructions regarding evacuation of the

23. barryrutherford profile image76

In reponse to  questions-  Cyclones are the same thing as a Hurricane

SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...so Barry...how are you doing...where you are...

24. salt profile image61
    saltposted 13 years ago

Yes, its been awhile since Ive been to Rockhampton and I actually loved it there. Of all the places, it was somewhere that I really liked. I love Yappoon and the people are great up there.

I wish you all well. Oddly, I do remember when I was there that I had a weird experience about being underwater. This was just before the tsunami. I didnt think the floods would get to there.

I wish all well and know the strength, character and just great humor of the queenslanders will get them through anything.

You learn to appreciate the military too! The training they do to prepare and help us through events like these is very very valuable and we have great appreciation of their efforts!!!

Hope all is well for those stuck. Yet, couldnt think of a better place to be stuck!

25. salt profile image61
    saltposted 13 years ago

And just thinking of decreasing winds at the moment.

Anna Bligh deserves a medal just for seeing this through. I hope she has the whole hearted support of all her collegues in Queensland and all the country. She deserves their greatest support through this!

26. barryrutherford profile image76

Cyclone Yasi was named in Fiji because that is where it started.

I am in Brisbane which is 2000 kilometres away  thankfully !

...good to hear...not good for those in its path however....

1. barryrutherford profile image76
        barryrutherfordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It will affect us all with the massive cost in monitary terms loss of crops disruption to roads, loss of production, cost to government, & so on & so forth.

By the way i have posted a hub on Yasi

...all I can say is WOW! to the size of it...read your hub of course...

2. profile image0

On the upside - if the rebuilding and cleaning up and defence measures against such a future occurance - is done right, then it can be a huge driver for economic growth.  Lets hope your government has its economic head out of its political @ss big_smile

3. salt profile image61

Well hoping for the best, preparing for the worst. Sometimes when you prepare, things suddenly turn around ...

From what Im reading though, Anna Bligh is doing an amazing job!!!

Again, thoughts to all. How do you prepare and where do you go in a cyclone? Hope it somehow turns and dispells before it does damage.

I just like thinking of calm places at times like this!

Dorethea MacKellar must have been thinking of this time in Queenslands history. How could this all happen in one place?

Wishing for the best outcome for all. Id rather see a mass evacuation and everybody safe than the other happen!!!

1. profile image60
            logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not as bad as what you have faced, but if it makes you feel any better, we are currently facing 50+ mph gusts and have 10 or 12 inches of snow.  The temp is in the single digits F and will not get any better for a couple of days.  Windchill is 20 or 30 below 0.  Otherwise it's not too bad.

27. barryrutherford profile image76

Trouble is trees become missiles as do garbage bins, cars, you name it, so even those buildings that a 'cyclone proofed' nothing much withstand a Catagory % five cyclone.  Imagine driving at 300 kilometres an hour that is the speed of the wind in this cyclone !

1. profile image0

I guess where to go is the big issue, most sheltered places are underground but if you are forced up by flooding there is no protection ?

28. MPG Narratives profile image61
    MPG Narrativesposted 13 years ago

How much more can Queensland take??? I guess the good thing is that the warnings have been listened to and people have evacuated. Still, prayers and thoughts to everyone in Queensland for floods and now this cyclone. More funds will be needed for the area.

1. MPG Narratives profile image61
      MPG Narrativesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Barry, glad to hear you are ok and back to hubbing.

29. salt profile image61
    saltposted 13 years ago

the best statement of all Ive read was Anna Bligh saying that "people are irreplaceable."

30. salt profile image61
    saltposted 13 years ago

and good news?! Thorpies back in the pool!!!smile

31. barryrutherford profile image76

IDQP0005
    Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
    Queensland
    Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre

Media: Transmitters serving the area from Cape Flattery to Sarina and inland to
    Georgetown are requested to USE the Standard Emergency Warning Signal before
    broadcasting the following warning.

TOP PRIORITY
    TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 17
    Issued by the Bureau of Meteorology, Brisbane
    Issued at 5:03pm EST on Wednesday the 2nd of February 2011

A Cyclone WARNING is current for coastal and island communities from Cape
    Flattery to Sarina, extending west across the tropical interior to Mt Isa.

A Cyclone WATCH is current for the remaining inland parts west to the Northern
    Territory border and north of Winton.

At 5:00 pm EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Category 5 was estimated to be 220
    kilometres east of Cairns and 260 kilometres north northeast of Townsville and
    moving west southwest at 34 kilometres per hour.

SEVERE TROPICAL CYCLONE YASI IS A LARGE AND VERY POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND
    POSES AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY.

DURING THE EVENING, THE VERY DESTRUCTIVE CORE OF CYCLONE YASI WILL CROSS THE
    COAST BETWEEN INNISFAIL AND CARDWELL, ACCOMPANIED BY A DANGEROUS STORM TIDE
    SOUTH OF THE CYCLONE CENTRE.

Tropical Cyclone Yasi, CATEGORY 5, will continue to move in a west-southwesterly
    direction and is expected to cross the coast between Innisfail and Cardwell at
    about 11 pm EST tonight.

32. barryrutherford profile image76

Live Video Camera from near Cairns  TC Yasi

http://www.justin.tv/cycloneyasi/b/278745293?

33. barryrutherford profile image76

Video Camera from South of Cairns at Innisfail

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/yasi-from-innisfail

34. barryrutherford profile image76

Storm surge is covering ist lelve of homes so far in some cases !

35. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Just took a look at the radar for Queensland.  Wow!  That storm is unreal.  Hope everyone makes it thru it okay!

36. MPG Narratives profile image61
    MPG Narrativesposted 13 years ago

Floods in Southern Queensland, Yasi (cyclone) in Northern Queensland, what next? Well, now with high tide there are floods after the cyclone, banana and other crops have been devastated so we're all going to pay at the checkout. I'd say everyone's going to pay for quite a while because of the natural disasters this January. Still, the loss of life has been minimal compared to the devastation. Life is precious and can't be replaced. I guess that's something to be thankful for.

1. salt profile image61

lets hope our supermarkets etc dont attempt to profiteer out of it!

37. salt profile image61
    saltposted 13 years ago

I spent all morning thinking of decreasing and dispersing. Id rather be evacuated and safe than end up in a cyclone unprepared, like they were for cyclone tracey. My dad worked on that one and I had the channel 7 news reel, as they were news reels then, for show and tell.

Queensland has done well in comparison, - and they have better technology now and have done brilliantly at being prepared!

1. MPG Narratives profile image61
      MPG Narrativesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's right salt, these days the warnings are much better. I said in one post that Queenslanders are used to cyclones but can anyone really get used to such disasters? What I meant was, they are used to getting prepared for them which helps to save lives.

As far as our supermarkets, let's hope they don't try and profit out of such disasters.

1. salt profile image61

as said, agree!!!

38. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

Holy c***, did you guys see this? What a monster!

http://i56.tinypic.com/4lorc7.jpg

Source has Asia and Europe comparisons as well: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/fl … 5998762870

39. salt profile image61
    saltposted 13 years ago

Is that the us storm? Or have you transposed Yasi on a map of the US?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)