Dreamhowl profile image 93

Would you get surgery for your pet rat in this situation?

I have a pet fancy rat named Patches and she is about 2 and 1/2 years old. We took her to the vet today concerning what has been confirmed as a mammary tumor. Tumors are frequent in older rats, especially females, and most often benign. However, it can grow, steal nutrients and eventually make it hard for her to move. Surgery will cost between $350 and $500 dollars (expensive for us) and won't guarantee that she doesn't grow another tumor. I've also read the surgery on older rats can be dangerous. Would you get surgery and risk it, or let her live her life worry-free as long as possible?

Theophanes profile image94

Best Answer Theophanes says

• Dreamhowl profile image

Jessica Marello (Dreamhowl) 3 years ago

Thank you so much. I have heard of a few foods and supplements that can help slow things down, and the turkey tail mushroom sounds familiar. I'll definitely research those options.

CraftytotheCore profile image97

CraftytotheCore says

• Dreamhowl profile image

Jessica Marello (Dreamhowl) 3 years ago

I'm so happy your dog is healthy and happy today! Rats have a life expectancy of 1 1/2 to 3 years, with 5 being the luckiest of the lucky. Thanks for your advice, I honestly appreciate it.

aliasis profile image93

aliasis says

• Dreamhowl profile image

Jessica Marello (Dreamhowl) 3 years ago

Thank you. The vet didn't seem to know much and didn't have any other advice, so it was disappointing. I don't think I'll be going there again unless an emergency pops up.

wymyczak66 profile image92

Jessie Miller (wymyczak66) says

• Dreamhowl profile image

Jessica Marello (Dreamhowl) 3 years ago

Yes - she is an old lady, and I am surprised the vet didn't bring that up at all. Thank you for your kind words and advice - I feel better just hearing it.

wychic profile image79

Rebecca Mikulin (wychic) says

• Dreamhowl profile image

Jessica Marello (Dreamhowl) 3 years ago

Thank you for your advice. We have decided to let her live her life. The tumor hasn't grown since the vet visit, and we have been feeding her foods to slow the growth so she can be the happiest for the longest.

sprickita profile image72

sprickita says

• Dreamhowl profile image

Jessica Marello (Dreamhowl) 3 years ago

Thanks! That picture is pre-tumor but she still looks the same otherwise - she is thankfully very healthy, and we are going to try and keep her that way.

LoisRyan13903 profile image74

LoisRyan13903 says

• Dreamhowl profile image

Jessica Marello (Dreamhowl) 2 years ago

Yeah, we didn't end up doing the surgery and had to put her down due to her deteriorating condition back in April. She was past two years old though. Her sister is still alive, but she was younger.