"Growing Older is Not for Sissies"

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

Like giving birth, no one wants to tell you what old(er) age is like.
    Then boom, you are experiencing it, wondering," Why didn't anyone TELL/WARN me?"
    I know no one wants to talk about this. I think we should force ourselves to.
    I have a theory about what causes old age.
    Maybe its the same for every person …
    Maybe not.
    Dare we discuss it?
    Maybe not.
    Shall we tell/warn the Youth?
    Probably definitely not.
    lol

Now where did I stash my darn surf board ...

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Becoming old is a fact of life.  It cannot be escaped unless we die young.  However, becoming older is what we make of it.  Some approach and see old age as the end and adopt the attitude that all is lost and what might have been while others see old age as a continuing evolution of life and act accordingly!
      http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12170355.jpg

Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I like what you have to say here and this woman seems to know how to make the best of her assets.
        But what are we actually dealing with in isolating the difficulty?
        She has assets. How does she maintain/achieve them?

What is she actually fighting against?

While some give up, (why? based on what?) others refuse. I see them on the beaches in Ventura where old and young, boys girls, women and men are enjoying the sand and the ocean. Grandfathers are having fun with their grandkids as they body surf, boogie board or surf. And Grandmothers in bikinis join their grandkids from jogging and playing frisbee to wind surfing and kayaking. What has enabled these older folks to rise victorious ...
        and against what enemy?

2. Michael-Milec profile image60
      Michael-Milecposted 8 years agoin reply to this

" Growing older " is an inevitable process related to our physical bodies- they are earthly. Everyone has to consider it seriously - the sooner the better. Wise will do research, thorough study own physical condition and set a rigorous plan mentally / spiritually plant toward the end of earthly journey. A 120 years has been mention by the Creator in anger when corruption of that time population became disgusting to God  himself. Despise the 'limitation' , as we  read after that proclamation many " righteous" have lived long past 120. What is the catch? Either choice or decision what do "I" want? Do " I " want to be healthy, happy , active, productive, living long, and how long. Those  of us who catch the idea on time and find our  way to the " beginning of wisdom" we have  chance by disciplined lifestyle, follow the rules walking with the Master. As a first step, we have to be  carefully of our tongue what are we talking, then to our ears what are we listening to. Some might suggest " positive" yes and never contradict or  being in agreement with the others negative- disagreeable with the Word. Practically , in my case at the age of 29  I have realized how fast time is flying and some friends of my age  group spoke of thirties  '' getting  old..." My derision was not to pass 29. Next my birthday I was celebrating 29th  again. Not only confession but living in every possible detail... At the time our oldest son  has reach  29 we had  some discussion and comparison concerning our choices.... Now, 120 isn't that distant number at 2/3 of it being alive and healthy, in  full production capacity, eating right, drinking right, exercising regularly, carefully choosing proper vocabulary, and leaving the  company  when conversation displeases the inner man.
      There might be more unknown secrest to the "longevity" in the body, my knowledge is limited; I  do not know  for how many more years my heavenly Father will leave me here, for that reason I am thanking Him every day that he will vake me up tomorrow with continuing blessing...

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

… well, as a favor/service to the Youth here is what I have to tell them:
    Do not take your Youth/youngness for granted. Ever, not even a second.

Let's say the Bible is correct and God did plan for us to live to be 120.  (It says that somewhere.)
    Most do not live to be that age, but recently a woman, whom Obama had made a point to meet, died at 110. Maybe we will eventually figure out how to live to, at least, 120.
    If 120 is our intended life span, it would seem that 60 is the halfway point. From birth to 60 the cells in the body are building, growing and replenishing, living grandly and vibrantly. Sleep is required for this rebuilding, repairing and re renewing. And check it out: In youth, the sleep mechanism in the brain works beautifully.
    I have a dog who is 16 in human years, (92 in dog years,) and is still young and happy like a puppy. Her white coat is beautiful and her eyes still sparkle. Her secret?
    She sleeps a lot to this very day.

While that seems like a simple explanation there is more to it. Much more.
    And the question to be answered is this:
    What enables sleep … especially after 60?

TWISI

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
  4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

< "I  do not know for how many more years my heavenly Father will leave me here,
    for that reason I am thanking Him every day
    that he will wake me up tomorrow
    with continuing blessings…">
    Thanks Michael.
    (edited)

1. Michael-Milec profile image60

Why are my posting privileges  being blocked?

following  comment has been blocked by the Team : Stop  it Kathryn, please.Those are  most damaging words one should ever hear "drives me crazy." Do not think of death. Think life. Think of life. The Life. Don't you know  that because  of believing in Jesu have  passed from death to life ?! I did. The physical death for God's child is total freedom, no more earthly struggle, no more  flesh related problems. The separation moment called "Death" to us means  GOING HOME. HOME.

Oh yes! I forgot! (fixed it.)
          … thanks for realigning my awareness. smile

(why the posting problems, I wonder?)

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

It is a natural affliction for the youth to consider themselves immortal ,  you cannot change them although living  LIFE will !    It is also natural apparently , for the aged to want to reverse the inevitable   .  For me  we're born , we live and we will die  of old age , IF we are lucky .

I agree:  "we will die  of old age , IF we are lucky ."

If we are not lucky we will die in young age.

I wouldn't mind if I live to be 120 years old, IF I am perfectly healthy.

Do we have this kind of control over these bodies? If not, why not?

Kathryn, there are several factors contributing to living longer into the "old age" ( whatever it means) but 'luck' isn't one of them. In my thus far fairly long life on this planet, dozens of my childhood friends gone -' died' too prematurely  as I positively know, by their own choice. See, it depends of ' perfect' lifestyle , following the principles  given us by the Creator. If one is carefully reading the manual given by the caring Father, will have desire to apply everything making him happy, healthy and prosperous. The people I know, they choose  different " 'pleasure ' of the flesh, ( even less popular this generation  knows and is dying from.) There  isn't " good luck " or "bad luck" to be alcoholic, addicted to a drug, sex-perversion, living in immorality, being lazy, cheating, steeling , killing and such.) Simply it is a choice of self-destruction where the enemy of life and prosperity rewards the people with shorter miserable life span. Obviously " we do have control over these bodies." You might recall, earlier I have pointed on controlling what we listen to and our own words we say ,"Death and life are in power of tongue , and he that loves it will eat from its fruit."

Well, lets just say you continue living  a "perfect" and moral life doing all you say. Guess what? You will eventually die of old age.
          I just wonder what that process is. Consider an orange. The longer it sits, the harder its skin becomes, the more wrinkled and dry …  the smaller it gets and the harder it gets.

Are human bodies like oranges over a destined period of time?
          Again I ask,
          Why?

Obviously not. Oranges are oranges, human bodies are 'living thing' indwelling by the soul and the spirit for whose 'maintenance ' each of us is responsible to keep it beautiful, healthy and vigorous. In my native language we have this saying " in a healthy body healthy spirit." Though the body is created of earthly components, originally meant to live forever. The book of Genesis is reporting humans living very long- since - for among many others reasons, they didnt know how to die. Period. (Not a matter of debate, because there isn't another conclusion , and arguments are unproductive.) It happened after period of time the Creator set a limit because of ' wickedness of man on the earth and every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time...' No, it is not only that, that from the "heart" came only evil, it was corrupted unhealthy (?) lifestyle bringin body ''eventually die of  old age." A science won't tell us, the theology doesn't goes that far to explain that after the ''fall" - man's breaking trust with the Creator-  the 'sin' brought into the flesh slowly working  deteriotion , which by the Creator's design the body cells  renew  themselves  within eacvh 7-10 years, if we do insist on ' renewing by following the principles of living healty .(Whatever it means.) I only know a little of medical science, by studying my body to keep it in  best health possible.  And "gues what?!" as you say we will eventually die of "old age"... When time comes  it will be in dignity and a happy ocasion to say goodbye to the famly and friends and to the "old good body."

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

<"There might be more unknown secrets to the "longevity" in the body,"> M.M.

This is what I wanted to brainstorm.

Agree, there are more unknown secrets to the  longevity in the body...

1. janesix profile image60
        janesixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We all get our alotted time here on Earth,and that's it.

There is yet another utterance of high value ,"Be unto you according your faith."

7. profile image0

I believe that it is the attitude that we allow ourselves Kathryn , You are a happy and vibrant soul ! U will live long and gorgeously!

big_smile

8. profile image0

See what I mean , What a smile !

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

lol

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

I strangely just came across this book in my book case: The Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci, Edited by Edward Mac Curdy
    Chapter on Anatomy:
    Page 119.
      "Veins which by the thickening of their tunicles in the old restrict the passage of blood, and by this lack of nourishment destroy their life without any fever, the old coming to fail little by little in slow death and this happens through lack of exercise since the blood is not warmed." Leonardo Da Vinci. 1452-1519

11. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

"I have found in the decrepit how the vein which proceeds from the door of the liver crosses behind the stomach and ramifies in the spleen, as this ramification, the veins in the young, being straight and full of blood, and in the old they are twisted, flattened, wrinkled, and emptied of blood." Leonardo Da Vinci, (page 135.)

12. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

"The colon in the old becomes as slender a the middle finger of the hand, and in the young, it is equal to the maximum breadth of the arm."

"And thus the liver which in youth is usually of a deep colour and of uniform consistency, in the old is pale, without any redness of blood, and the veins stay empty amidst the substance of this liver, which substance may be likened for its thin texture to bran steeped in a small quantity of water, and so readily disintegrating on being washed, leaving the veins that ramify within it freed from all the substance of the liver." (Page 135)

13. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Perhaps exercise and allowing the blood to flow about the body is very vital to long *life* …

Preferably a very wise idea would be making the exercise a rigorous religion and devotedly follow it. Everyone is a winner, including the Creator: He causes our spirit to use commonsense. ..

14. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Naps may be good too.
    "... some research suggests that instead of fretting about napping more as we get older, we should plan on adding daytime sleep to our schedule as a way to make up for the normal, age-related decay in the quality of our nighttime sleep."
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newslette … ch-a-no-no

Often research's results are limited, not covering every singular need: As we advance in maturity, our working habit along with eating habit chafes and is subjected to a thorough study of "my" body... It took me by surprise when in four quarter of my lifestyle my body called for a nap occasionally. Medical science is giving ample information sound reason to that ; it is in the package of privileges for older bodies. A commonsense again?

15. profile image0

What about naps with others , Is it allowed ?

…  as long as the other allows it.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)