jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Where would you recommend getting horses for a kids camp?

1. Arwen Rivendell profile image47
    Arwen Rivendellposted 8 years ago

Where would you recommend getting horses for a kids camp?

My church is trying to start a horse camp about 2 hours north of Dallas TX and are trying to gather horses that are well mannered and trained to handle children. He doesn't really want to invest in training them, though I am quite capable of training myself, I don't have the time.

2. Angela Blair profile image79
    Angela Blairposted 8 years ago

Try both cattle & horse auctions in smaller Texas towns - like Stephenville. All auctions have dishonest horse traders so any purchases should be made by a very knowledgeable buyer. Lots of horses are sold for slaughter because of age or slight injury yet have many good years left. One of those horses literally raised my son! Also check out horse rescue operations as they often have calm, older horses that need good homes. Advertising for donated horses for your program might also produce results. Check with horse breeders and trainers as they're good sources of information and have many contacts in the horse business. A horse that has to be broken and trained would probably not be suitable for children in the near future. Best of luck with a wonderful venture!

3. ddsurfsca profile image76
    ddsurfscaposted 8 years ago

wherever you look, rule of thumb, a horse that is older, like 10-12 years old, are going to be more calm, better mannered.  I would suggest that every horse you consider buying for this be tested extensively.  For example, can you pull; his tail, and you crawl under him, can you ride him backwards, can you sit behind the saddle in the kidney "tickle spot"?  Can you fling a burlap sack around without startling him.  Is he difficult to get into a full gallop?  This would be a good thing.  The best kid horse I ever had, was nicknamed "catsup" because he was slow when I rode with my friends they always had to stop and wait for me and him to catch up, He was great with kids.  They would crawl up his legs to get on him and he would just stand there and wait for them to get there...I miss him  a lot.

4. profile image49
    mlslivniposted 7 years ago

Try finding high school kids going off to college. They have had time to work with the horse and if they are going away to college they will most likely want to find a good home for their horse.

5. HorseRider33 profile image55
    HorseRider33posted 7 years ago

Well go too look at nearby or stables that you know check the conditions by the instructors invite the vet ans check the horse up and then your ready.

working