jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

why does my mini yorkshire terrier smell bad and he scratches alot

1. profile image43
    nessie6789posted 8 years ago

why does my mini yorkshire terrier smell bad and he scratches alot

itchy flakey skin and he stinks

2. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 8 years ago

It is very possible that he has a skin condition.  Skin conditions can cause scratching because your dog is itchy.  Constant scratching can cause mild infections that clear themselves; but, could be part of the cause of his "smell'. 

At the very least, your dog requires baths with shampoos and conditioners that are specially formulated for dry, itchy skin. 

However, a trip to the vet is in order to rule out there being a parasite or something that is causing the problem.  The vet would also know the best way to treat your dog's skin.

3. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

Yorkies are prone to skin allergies and conditions. Try using an oatmeal or medicated shampoo from the vet. They are also prone to smelling bad, which is why a bath every 2 weeks is necessary. They're low to the ground, and pick up loads of smells while outside. A vet can rule out any conditions and health problems (which I would recommend, as if it's an allergy, you need to know what the allergy is for), but for the most part, it's probably just a normal yorkie condition.

By the way, there's no such thing as a mini Yorkie. They're average weight starts at 2 pounds for adults.

4. nadp profile image76
    nadpposted 8 years ago

My first Yorkie, Casey, had similar skin conditions.  He was always scratching and chewing on his feet.  Often he would get "hot spots" - patches of his skin would turn bright red and be all irritated.  I discovered that what seemed really well to clear these up and keep  him more comfortable was to clean them with tea tree wipes a couple of times a day.  You should be able to find them in the pet store.  Or sometimes I just used a few drops of tea tree oil on a damp cotton ball.  Also Bacitracin ointment helped to clear up these spots.  But it was a constant problem.  We lost Casey 3 years ago - he was 13.  He had lots of congenital problems when he was born and we were told he'd only live to about 5 years old.  So we were so lucky to have him for so long.  Last year we got another Yorkie - a little girl named Ziva.  She's adorable - 3 lbs full grown.  She doesn't have the skin problems, which is nice.  But she's a lot feistier than Casey ever was and is constantly getting into something.  When we take it away from her that's okay - she just findsw comething else to get into!
    Good luck with your Yorklie.  One thing is for sure - they'll give you lots of love.

5. akirchner profile image97
    akirchnerposted 7 years ago

Sounds like a food allergy or skin condition.  I would definitely take to a vet and ask about what could be causing it because yorkies should not smell or scratch a lot.  Foods cause so much havoc these days because of fillers.  Good luck curing that - it must be so uncomfortable for him.

working