jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

my dog is a small mix about 15.When she gets excited she starts wobbling, then f

1. profile image43
    life is a journeyposted 8 years ago

my dog is a small mix about 15.When she gets excited she starts wobbling, then falls into a 30...

sec sleep for a few mins? When she wakes up she is fine. Never had a problem before.At night she sometimes gags , like she is trying to cough up something. Maybe twice a night. Appitite good and plays. Not sure what is wrong.

2. RachelLynn profile image58
    RachelLynnposted 8 years ago

I'd call your local vet and describe this situation to him or her.  They're the professionals, and could tell you if this is a serious issue or not.  If you really care about your dog, you'd take her to the vet.

3. DogRemedy profile image51
    DogRemedyposted 8 years ago

Rachel is right, you should take your dog to the vet and have him rule out narcolepsy, which is a rare problem in dogs.

4. Tirzah Laughs profile image83
    Tirzah Laughsposted 7 years ago

If she has always done this, then its probably some sort of short seizure or genetic flaw.  If it doesn't effect her quality of life, I wouldn't worry too much about it.   Keep an eye out for altered personality, staggering, drooling, uneven pupils or peeing on herself.

I do suggest having her checked out by a vet for safety reasons.

I don't know the breed but some spaniels have fainting/shaking conditions that are genetic.

The gagging is more worrisome than the passing out.  Unless she is a flat faced breed, those dogs just make horrendous noises when they sleep.