How long do cats stay in heat?

1. profile image45
    Jamie lou harrisposted 8 years ago

How long do cats stay in heat?

I have a siamise, that has been howling for 3days. Bell is only 8months and we are going nuts! I know she is in heat I just don't know how long this
    can go on. How soon can I take her to get fixed?

2. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 8 years ago

She is old enough now to be fixed. Actually any time after two months is ok but most like for them to go thru their first heat first. If you are going to have her fixed wait until the heat cycle ends and make an appt. The heat cycle can vary anywhere from 6 days to 12 days every three to four months. In our case Prissy was doing this every two months so we had her fixed a few weeks ago.

3. CeeGunn profile image83
    CeeGunnposted 8 years ago

A female cat can be spayed as early as 6 weeks old so Bell is old enough to be "fixed". In fact, most veterinarians believe it is better to spay your cat before it reaches its first "heat" or estrus cycle as it lessens the chance of health problems later on.
    A female cat can be in heat anywhere from three days to almost two weeks. This cycle can be repeated every two to three weeks, and occurs at almost all times of the year so it may seem as if your cat is in heat "all the time".
    Your best option is to call your vet and book an appointment to get your kitty spayed. The operation is a simple procedure and should help Bell to calm down and become a quieter cat. However, I must warn you that Siamese cats are well-known as a "talkative" breed so spaying her may not completely stop her meowing! Fortunately, it probably won't be as loud or painful-sounding as when she is in heat.
    Good luck and give Bell a kiss for me. smile