why is my aft gecko so lethargic and starting to look wrinkled and grayish.

1. profile image45
    nikko_raeposted 7 years ago

why is my aft gecko so lethargic and starting to look wrinkled and grayish.

I adopted 2 aft geckos (male and female 6 yrs. old) a couple of months ago.  they had a period of adjustment at first and has done very well since. lately my male has been biting at my female.she has also been very lethargic  and looking wrinkled and grayish in spots. she last ate on sat.took her to the vet today. upon examination he said she looked healthy, fat tail and all. said that she maybe in a hibernation phrase no need for blood work or x-rays at this time and gave her a vitamin b injection. reassured me i was doing very thing right but still very  worried. do u have any extra advise

2. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

The male is trying to mate with the female. They need to be separated, as she's already stressed. It sounds like she's going into a shed, but the constant pestering of the male, is causing great stress. If you're not planning on breeding, it's not recommended to house a male and female together. Even if you do plan on breeding, it's not recommended to house them together at all times. In this case, they need to be separated.

The vet should have performed a fecal to rule out parasites.

Other than separating them, and ensuring that the temperature on the surface of the enclosure is accurate.

working