Is it ok to have a male friend or a female friend while you're married?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Rakim Cheeks profile image61
    Rakim Cheeksposted 8 years ago

Is it ok to have a male friend or a female friend while you're married?

Do you think it would cause a problem in the marriage?

2. Aime F profile image69
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

Of course it's fine. No way in hell would I be with someone who was so insecure he would have a problem with me being friends with a guy. My husband has female friends who I really like myself and I trust him, so I don't see the problem.

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This^ I have treasured friends in both genders as does my husband.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 8 years ago

Roughly half the people in the world are of the opposite sex.  Do you really believe that once you're married you then have to deny yourself the pleasurable companionship and friendship of all those women (or men, as the case may be) you will inevitably meet between the day you get married and the day you die simply because someone might have told you 'you should not befriend a person of the opposite sex once your married?"

In answer to your question: of course it is okay.

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

If friendships with opposite gender were to cause a problem in my marriage I would say the problem lies with my partner and his insecurities, not the friendships.  I would refuse to be married to someone who was so insecure they felt they had to prevent me from keeping company with half the population due to their gender.

1. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Is it always about one person being "right" and another person being "wrong"? Could it be he just has a different relationship philosophy then your own? This would simply mean (he) is not "the one" for you? Another lady may agree with him!

2. ChristinS profile image39

In this case, if a person wouldn't trust me enough and would deny me having friends of an opposite gender, then yes he's wrong.  Wrong for me and wrong in general. I don't need anyone that would manipulate or control me. I wouldn't do it to him.

3. dashingscorpio profile image81

Isn't he just wrong for (you)? If there are women who share his same feelings about this and he got with one of them. They'd be a match made in heaven! Trying to change/manipulate someone is wrong. Finding someone who agrees with us is the goal!

4. ChristinS profile image39

I suppose if two distrusting insecure people got together they could be a good match, but for me, red flags would go up if someone was willing to destroy their friendships and also insisting I leave mine. Red flags to me, but to each their own

5. dashingscorpio profile image81

Christin, You're killing me! LOL!
      Deep down you have to know not everyone is going to be a perfect match. However instead of saying they're "right" or "wrong" our search should focus on "agree" and "disagree". People who agree are much happier!

6. ChristinS profile image39

We're all entitled to our opinions dashing, my opinion is a person that would leave friendships or expect others to has loyalty that is at best questionable. As I said - to each their own, agreeing doesn't mean it's right or healthy

7. dashingscorpio profile image81

All I'm saying is the ultimate definition of a soul-mate is finding someone who shares (your) same values! As you said "to each their own". That's my philosophy! If someone doesn't agree with us on a key issue it means they're not right for (us)!

5. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12479859_f260.jpg

No you must not have any friends of the opposite sex when you are married. Conn-fusius say: One must not have friends of opposite sex when married or engaged or dating or thinking about dating...

Just kidding; if you truly love someone you want them to be happy, you do not want to restrict them in anyway... If it makes them happy to have friends of both sexes ( like me and my Better Half) it would be the last thing I would want to restrict...

6. M. T. Dremer profile image86
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

In general, no, there isn't a problem with it. I think a problem emerges when you're spending more alone time with this friend of the opposite sex, than your spouse. It also depends on who the friend is. For example, a married man who is friends with a married woman, that meet up in a support group, is probably fine. A married man that goes out to dinner with a single woman (without his wife present) is starting to throw up some red flags.

7. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

Only one's mate can determine if it's okay.
    Naturally the goal is to be with someone who shares your same values. Nevertheless too often people try and make this a "right" or "wrong" issue when in reality it's an "agree" or "disagree" issue.
    People who naturally agree tend to get along better. Who knew?! You're better off finding someone who agrees with your philosophy.

A few problems often erupt when there are opposite sex friends.
    1. You choose a mate who is against these types of friendships
    2. Friends are kept a "secret" from your mate. (Never introduced)
    3. If all of your opposite sex "friends" are ex-lovers it raises eyebrows!
    4. Either you or your friend (secretly wants more) than a friendship
    5. If your friend's mate gives them an ultimatum they'll dump you.
    Most people would choose to be with the love of their life over being with a platonic friend. This explains why many of these opposite platonic friendships don't last a lifetime.
    At some point either you or them will fall in love with someone who doesn't want their mate to have opposite sex friends they meet up with for lunch, drinks, or whatever same sex friends do. Generally speaking not many women would want their husbands spending time with another woman "one on one" and vice versa.

8. profile image55
    peter565posted 8 years ago

It is fine providing that person is gay or in no way in hell you can be sexually attracted to him/her (relative and ugly girls)

So only "ugly" girls are allowed to have male friends? wow, so glad we have men around to keep us in control and in line, we sure wouldn't be able to do that for ourselves, especially if we aren't ugly enough... sigh.

9. Old-Empresario profile image70
    Old-Empresarioposted 8 years ago

Of course it would cause a problem. Friends of the opposite sex in a marriage always lead to trouble. For one thing, men are always all to happy to have sex, whether with a female friend or anyone else. In fact, I would venture to say that this is the man's angle in having a close friend that he pursues of the opposite sex 100% of the time. If she's bugging him, it may be different. But if he's calling and texting her, he's hoping to get laid. And for a woman, it is all too easy to fall for her good friend of the opposite sex if she's married. That's because she'll never argue with her friend like she will her husband. The friend has no vested interest. He doesn't have to share a life with her. So they have no reason to fight. He can agree with her all day long and she'll love it. The husband and wife, however, will naturally come into conflict. The husband cannot compete with the male friend in this way.

Wow, I give men more credit than that. My male friends that I am close to have never come on to me sexually and just like the benefit of a female perspective other than their wife's. I've never sought sex with a male friend either, hubby is my BF.

2. dashingscorpio profile image81

A lot of guys believe if a woman initiated a kiss or flirted with a male friend they don't believe he would push her away and say: "We're friends! I don't want to mess that up!" Some women have admitted knowing their male friends would go for it!

3. ChristinS profile image39

Perhaps I've chosen my friends a little more wisely? lol I don't like generalities that "all" men or women would or wouldn't do something. I think we should judge people by their character, not their gender. Maybe I'm naive, so be it.

4. dashingscorpio profile image81

That's why generally speaking I'm careful to use terms like "a lot of" or "some". I hate gender generalizations that include (all or always) :-)

5. Old-Empresario profile image70
      Old-Empresarioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Christin, there is always a way to test your theory. Clearly I don't know you or your male friends, so it's safe for me to generalize. I think we can both agree that there is a certain line of friendship that can be crossed.

10. ian 12am profile image86
    ian 12amposted 8 years ago

It all depends on what you intend to do with this friend....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)