jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

my pet rat seems to be sleeping alot and grooming me alot.

1. profile image47
    tuxintonposted 7 years ago

my pet rat seems to be sleeping alot and grooming me alot.

he has been doing this since we lost our other rat in april, there were not in the same cage but knew of each other they were not close either. he seems to want to sleep on me all day and night, he is losing weight but still eating and drinking. we are taking him to the vet  so i was just wondering why he could be sleeping so much?

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

A veterinarian will give you a better answer, bit sleep can be part of the bodies defense system.  Higher levels of sleep are associated with harboring an infection.  How old is the rat?

3. profile image47
    tuxintonposted 7 years ago

he is about 1 or 2 years old he did have a respiratory problem which seemed to have cleared up it just seems like since we lost out older rat he just wants me all the time.

4. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

If he's only a year old then it may be something that the vet can help with. Did he ever get to play with the rat that died? Cage mates can often get very lonely and depressed when they lose their companion, but if they weren't together much then that wouldn't be very likely. However, if he's two years old then his age could just be catching up to him, as that is about as long as most rats are expected to live, though I have known a couple to live past three.

5. profile image45
    i love smokeyposted 7 years ago

maybe he is upset that your other rat died, thats what happened to my rabbit! Question was the other rat that you lost a female?

working