Is sleeping with your pet a good or bad thing?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (41 posts)
  1. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

I sometimes sleep with my big dog in my bed.

What do you think about pets in one's bed?

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You should never let any animal near your bed. Letting your dog sleep with you is madness on your part. Can't you find a woman to share your bed instead?

tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  She brings her dog in too.

It's very crowded sometimes.  wink

2. Zainejaz profile image60
      Zainejazposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you suffer from allergies, it's not a good idea to let your dog sleep in your bed. Dogs track in dirt as well as pollen and grass. Your bedroom should be pet free to avoid any allergic reactions.

If you suffer from insomnia, having your dog on your bed could make it worse. Tossing and turning could agitate your dog and prolong your ability to fall asleep. Some dogs get up and move throughout the night, which could prevent you from getting a restful, uninterrupted sleep. Other dogs snore.

Dogs pick up fleas and other parasites such as tapeworms. Fungal infections of the skin (known as Ringworm) can be an issue for humans. Ringworm was once thought to be caused by a worm, but it's not; it's a fungus which affects the skin, commonly producing round, red spots on the skin.

3. Wayne Tully profile image65
      Wayne Tullyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha you're sick lol!

Being serious! it is bad, you may get hairs everywhere and choke or something, very unhygienic!

4. sarclair profile image78
      sarclairposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you are a single person, it cannot be bad for you. Research has been conducted to prove that animals are good for you. They can help your blood pressure, and heart rate, to name a couple.

2. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I have heard it can be unhealthy. It depends on the cleanness of the animal I think. I sleep with my indoor cat who is very clean and no fleas.

However I'm not sure if I would sleep with any animal that goes outside as they get fleas and other unknown pest and viruses.

But then again we do that with other animals too,,,,, humans. smile

Great point!  Who knows where that husband has been!

2. GrantGMcgowan profile image61
      GrantGMcgowanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hahaha....big_smile

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Sleeping with goats sounds like fun big_smile

Yeah, but goats will eat ANYTHING!

yikes

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

My cat sleeps with me. I have no choice. If I lock him out of the bedroom he doesn't let me get any sleep. He is an indoor cat.

5. tritrain profile image69

Being that I live vicariously through my dog, and he looks so happy to sleep on the bed, I let him (for my own happiness).

6. Hugh Williamson profile image76
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

I was going to try sleeping with the dog but I couldn't find a pet crate that was big enough.

7. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Our pug sleeps with us, we use frontline though. She goes in a crate when we want private time.

I quite like it really, shes like a hot water bottle, and there is something therapuetic about being woken by a dog with its tongue in your ear. Especially when the missus is in a bit of a mood because she has to go to work lol

8. DIYweddingplanner profile image75
    DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years ago

I sleep every night with a horribly spoiled yorktese.  She only weighs six pounds, so I hardly know she's there.  But believe me, if I didn't pick her up and put her in, I'd hear about it!

9. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...i find this question humorous....anyway...if i'm by myself - sure the cat (he's gone now to the kitty litter box in the sky)can sleep on the bed with me...butttt....when i was married - no, no animals allowed in bed with me period...and it was funny how  the cat seemed to know when it was okay to sleep on the bed with me....there was a pecking order! ..and it bothered me when the cat would take up a dominating position sometimes (he'd try to sleep above me (around my head somewhere) - so i'd make sure he knew where his place was in 'the pack' -  at the end of the bed.... lol

10. TinaTango profile image70
    TinaTangoposted 13 years ago

I let my dog sleep with me in bed, other wise he is crying like crazy in his crate.   I spoil my little bear....

11. truthfornow profile image69
    truthfornowposted 13 years ago

My cat sleeps with me.  She is in and out of the bed all night long.  But, if I banned her from the bed, she would meow like crazy.

12. tritrain profile image69

It's funny how our pets assume that they should be in our beds.

...Maybe the beds are really theirs...

13. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I'm sure that you have all found out how extremely sociable Fleas are and I suggest you look at your butt in the mirror and try to see if that ring thingy.... is or isn't a ring worm! yikes big_smile

14. lyndre profile image60
    lyndreposted 13 years ago

I saw a video a few years back called Animal farm.

Those girls slept with a lot of pets lol

15. NateSean profile image66
    NateSeanposted 13 years ago

I slept with my ant farm when I was in the third grade. The result...wasn't pretty...to say the least

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hell I Hope they weren't Leaf Cutter Ants............. Have you still got a Wobbly Bit? yikes

1. NateSean profile image66
        NateSeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's actually much worse. They were bullet ants. And it wasn't actually an ant farm. The Department of Agriculture was on me for years after that incident.

All my fleshy bits are fine though. I will have a hard time explaining the scar though... wink

16. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

My dodg sleeps next to me and the wife all the time!!! It's like shes taking over lol

17. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

When I was a kid we had what we called 3 dog nights, because we let all 3 dogs climb in bed with us simply because it was so darned cold!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...that's funny - 3 dog nights!

1. kirstenblog profile image77
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We used to get ruddy cold! No central heating, a wood cook stove to heat the house and a bad winter could be dangerous cold. There were nights when we sealed off half the house and slept in the living room simply because the bedrooms couldn't be kept warm enough. I kinda miss those days actually, electricity cut and us all in the living room sharing warmth, my mom would play piano to get me off to sleep. It was actually kinda nice smile

2. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bet you've still got the scars to prove it smile

1. kirstenblog profile image77
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Na, not really, my dogs were soppy old muts, tongues licking your face off luckily does not leave scars (if it did I would be in trouble!). Not sure how well the blankets took their paws and such but I supposed if they were under the blankets it would have been worse! lol

18. drbj profile image78
    drbjposted 13 years ago

Sleeping with your pet is not only a bad thing but a dangerous thing ... if your pet is an elephant. Especially an elephant that sleep walks. I always say: "An elephant that walks in its sleep, Is not a pet that you want to keep!"

Although, I swear my dog seems like an elephant in the bed.  He's like an 800 lbs gorilla, except he's about 60 lbs.

19. C.S.Alexis profile image84
    C.S.Alexisposted 13 years ago

We have two dogs in a king size bed. They do not get on any of our other furniture so I am good with it. Both dogs are between 60-70lbs, and I do not worry over intruders. The boys are serious about guarding the territory.

20. To Start Again profile image70
    To Start Againposted 13 years ago

contrary to what the dog might prefer, the 65 pound Boxer sleeps on a pillow on the floor. The cat, who is an indoor cat and thinks she has free run of the house, does climb up there from time to time but she doesn't stick around long. I have heard you can get ringworm from pets sleeping in the bed and then there is also the flea/parasite/debris from outdoor pets that could be a problem...

So I guess its to each his own smile It doesn't matter to me who (or what) any of ya'll sleep with big_smile

21. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 13 years ago

I can't keep the cats out or they'll keep us up all night trying to get in. But my dog, my best buddy Harley slept on the bed with us after we found out he had stage 4 bone cancer. He could have slept anywhere he wanted. Three weeks since he went Home, I'm still sad. He was almost 13.

1. mabmiles profile image58
      mabmilesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not bad to sleep with your pets, sometimes our pet are go sleep with you with out your permission its make happy big_smile

22. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago
  23. LeeWalls profile image61
    LeeWallsposted 13 years ago

That's not a good thing. For starters dogs step in dirt and grass and cats use their litter box with that dust and small rocks; imagine their paws touching the rest. Knowing all of that do you want them in your clean bed?

24. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Sleeping with my kitties is one of the supreme joys of life!

25. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I have two little yorkies and they sleep in my daughter's room, but NOT ON THE BED!  They each have their own dog bed and that is where they sleep.  I just don't think it's healthy for the dogs to be on the bed.  They play in the yard, go for walks along the road with my kids... who knows what's in their coats and on their feet.  I also insist that hands are washed after petty and playing with the dogs and I don't let them up on the furniture either.  They have crates, dog beds, sheep skins, and any number of dog appropriate places to sit, lay, and sleep.  They don't mind, they know the rules, and they get it.  They are dogs, not people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)