jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Hi, you left a comment on my hub that pepto is no longer safe to give to dogs

1. alexadry profile image96
    alexadryposted 7 years ago

Hi, you left a comment on my hub that pepto is no longer safe to give to dogs

can you give a link so I can verify this information online? I have worked for a vet and was always told it was safe to give (of course under strict vet recommendation) I am afraid you are confusing this with cats that cannot take pepto because of salicyclates. I am unable to find a reliable source stating pepto has changed formulations and is no longer safe for dogs and there still as of now are many veterinarian websites still recommending pepto. Maybe this is something new I am not aware of. Please give me a reliable source, thank you!

2. Tirzah Laughs profile image81
    Tirzah Laughsposted 7 years ago

It will probably not harm your dog.  I think I wasn't as clear as I hoped.  I apologize for that.   Per both my vets, with the formula changes in PEPTO Liquid and the product is not as effective for dog as it use to be in the past.  And it should never be givent to cats.   The new formula has  Bismuth Subsalicylate (similiar to asprin) which can be problematic with some dogs. 

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bi … page1.aspx

This aspirin like component did not use to be in this product and now is.   If you have a formulation without, then use it in good health.

If yours contains the aspirin product, use sparingly and with a vet's permission only.

My vets have told me not to use it on my dogs as it will help very little and will limit what they can give immediately afterwards.   It can make some dogs violently sick with the forumula changes.

3. alexadry profile image96
    alexadryposted 7 years ago

Ok, thank you for clarifying! I always recommend to consult with a vet before giving it at home. My vets sometimes still recommend it for dogs with tummy troubles but directions and dosages need to be followed carefully.

4. evvy_09 profile image75
    evvy_09posted 7 years ago

Pepto helped save my dogs life when he was a puppy.  He couldn't keep his worm medicine down at all so we had to keep giving him the pepto followed by the worm medicine until it took affect.  Otherwise he couldn't keep food or water down and just kept vomiting and getting weaker for days.  He finally came out of it and grew Huge smile

5. Dr Ken Romeo profile image59
    Dr Ken Romeoposted 7 years ago

I'm no vet but I have a question: Why pepto? If it is strickly stomach upset wouldn't you consider baking soda and water as a viable alternative????? I am curious as to what your vet will say.

working