jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

how to handle a 1 yr. old dog that just bit me when trying to take a kitchen spa

1. profile image47
    Milt Rogersposted 7 years ago

how to handle a 1 yr. old dog that just bit me when trying to take a kitchen spatula away from him?

2. iskra1916 profile image59
    iskra1916posted 7 years ago

I am no dog expert nor do I know the full details re, your dog & the exact history/circumstances, but if it was a 'deliberate' bite ie not during horseplay etc then I would have serious reservations about keeping the dog.

When you say it happened in the kitchen, was it anywhere near it's food or dog bowl? I ask this because dogs get very defensive over their food, as they go into 'survival mode' over eating and their food.

Like I say, I am no expert and I am not au fait with the full circumstances etc but I would be very worried about keeping a biting dog, especially one who bit his master..

3. Yoovle profile image62
    Yoovleposted 7 years ago

If it's a smaller dog, and the bit wasn't any serious, I would just advise to let him know who's the master here next time he shows any signs of a similar negative attitude to you. A little squeeze on the neck towards the ground or something like that should be enough. I do that with my girlfriends dog and it works. But as I said it really depends on what kind of dog you have.

4. Genlilylim profile image59
    Genlilylimposted 7 years ago

Agree with iskra1916 that we do not know the full details regarding your dog or the circumstances. So while here's an advice, please do use your own judgment to see if it is applicable to your situation and more importantly, if it is safe for you to follow these instructions.

Next time around, don't try to directly remove the item from its mounth. Instead try to exchanging something else, eg  a treat or its favourite toy, for the item in its mounth.  Waive it around and try to get your dog excited by this new item your are waiving. If you are able to capture its interest, it will very likely drop the item in its mouth and come to you for this new item. Using this new item as a lure, lead it a safe distance away from the item it has just dropped so that you can safely pick it up after you have given your dog the new item.

If you are into clicker training, you can easily train the "leave it" cue so that you can eventually get your dog to release items on command.

Hope the above helps.