Have you ever been bitten by a dog?

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (41 posts)
  1. KK Trainor profile image60
    KK Trainorposted 12 years ago

Have you ever been bitten by a dog?

2. COLONELpate profile image60
    COLONELpateposted 12 years ago

Yes, I have been bitten. Twice, as a matter of fact. Both times it was my own fault. Still, after all the hundreds of other people's dogs that I've handled, to only have been bitten twice is a pretty good record.

Dogs, like humans, have good days and bad days. Sometimes they're just plain cranky from a toothache, a sore paw or a dozen other ailments. If you handle a dog that doesn't know you, he just might bite you during these times.

You have to get a strange dog's permission to approach him. Don't automatically assume that your friend's little fluffy lap dog is going to accept you right away.

Dogs can size you up amazingly fast by smelling your scent. They can determine your age, state of health, and what you last ate. There are about two dozen other things they can tell about you at the first scent. They can also tell if you're a good person or not.

I know that you might wonder about this last part, but, I assure you that they know your character in about two seconds. I saw my dog Lucy approve of all my friends when she met them for the first time. But, when a stranger came into the house to talk business, Lucy refuse to offer him a friendly greeting. In fact, she emitted a low growl. The man turned out to be a flim flam scammer and, warned by Lucy's judgement of him, I didn't fall for his scheme.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

Yes, twice.  First time, I was a senior in high school and spending the night at a girlfriend's house.  I was sitting on the floor and for no apparent reason her doberman growled and went for the back of my neck.  I put my hands up and he bit through a fingernails and injured my hand.

Second time, I was pregnant with my first child and had gone to someone's baby shower.  Walking to my car, someone had a German shepherd and it charged me. I turned my back to it, and it actually bit my behind--didn't break skin, just pinched.  The man apologized, but I got in my car and cried, my feelings were hurt--I was pregnant and cried over everything!

4. twilanelson profile image60
    twilanelsonposted 12 years ago

Yes, I have been bitten three times.  The first was a German Shepherd that bit me on the hip, the second was a Springer Spaniel that bit me on the face, just above and eye and the third was another German Shepherd who bit my hand, during dog training classes.

5. profile image57
    consentinoposted 12 years ago

Yes, I have been bitten by a dog.  It was awful.  I was at my friends house and her mother wanted her to go next door to borrow something.  First of all the lady had a large cat and I do not like cat's, for some reason I am afraid of them.

Anyway, we went to the back door.  My girlfriend knocked on the door and out comes this Wiener dog and grabs a hold of my calf (I had jeans on).  The dog would not let go and he had his teeth in me good.  I was kicking him with my right leg,  trying to get him off.  Finally, I think the lady finally realized I needed help.  My friend of course was just screaming.

There were teeth marks in my leg, you could see bottom and upper teeth.  Mark about 3" around, at least.  It hurt so bad, I limped for about 2 weeks.  My leg got all ugly and bruised.

It  is amazing I don't hate Wiener dogs, but all of my kids have them and I love them all.

Crazy huh?

cat,trees,pet strollers at petsareagift

6. mepperly profile image59
    mepperlyposted 12 years ago

I was when I worked for a vet office int he boarding area... I was putting a cocker spaniel in his kennel and when I reached down to take off his leash... he got me. It was my fault... I was not paying attention to his body language.

7. funmontrealgirl profile image63
    funmontrealgirlposted 12 years ago

Yes in my right middle finger bout two years ago and when the dog died i went to a clinic had a tetanus toxoid and then anti-rabies vaccine

8. sangre profile image93
    sangreposted 12 years ago

I was bitten once when I was a toddler in the ear. I don't remember it, but it freaked my mother out because it wouldn't stop bleeding.

9. SxECreator profile image60
    SxECreatorposted 12 years ago

Twice. Pit bull mix locked its jaw on my ring finger, and one got me just above my eye

10. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 12 years ago

SxECreator, pit bulls cannot lock their jaws. they muscles and jaws are made like any other dog. That is 110% a myth.

11. Godiva-Inc profile image59
    Godiva-Incposted 12 years ago

Yes! luckily the scar is where I cant see it, so it doesnt bother me... Its on the back of my knee, its quite hideous I imagine. All this happened about 11 years ago, when I was 9... So I tend to forget about the incident, I love dogs madly though... no hard feelings.

12. Kate H profile image83
    Kate Hposted 12 years ago

I was have been bitten by a dog on two occasions.  The first was when I was around 6 years old and I with my mother at the house of an acquaintance of hers.  They told me to make sure I didn't make a funny face at their little dog before they walked out of the room and left me there with the dog staring at me.  I leaned over the side of the couch and reached out to pet him because I always loved dogs of all shapes and sizes.  Apparently it was more than just "funny faces" that made this dog unhappy because before I knew what was happening he jumped up and latched onto my nose and was hanging off for a few seconds while I screamed for help.  Luckily i don't have any permanent scars from this on my face.  Thank god he was small.

The second time was by a black Labrador Retriever mix.  He was huge and he was never kept on a leash.  This dog lived next door to me when I was 8 and 9 years old.  I had two dalmatians at the time, that were kept in a large kennel in my backyard.  This dog had chased me a couple of times but one time he managed to grab a hold of my jeans.  I made it out of that one without any broken skin but it still came to mind because it could have been worse.  Luckily by the time he got to me I was at the kennel door and he must have been intimidated by my dogs.  The best part is that the next day when I went to feed my dogs, my male dalmatian darted out when I opened the door and got revenge on that Labrador.  He bit him twice before my father and the Lab's owner broke up them up.  My dog was perfectly fine even though the Lab was clearly bigger than him.  I always loved him for that.

13. Blond Logic profile image93
    Blond Logicposted 12 years ago

No I never have. Here in Brazil there is a problem with stray dogs and if you get bitten, you have to get shots just in case the dog is infected with rabies.

I know someone this has happened to but I personally have never been bitten.

14. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 12 years ago

Yes, three times. Once by a spaniel that I ran up to as a child, a second time by my best friend's Dalmation, and the third time by a German Shepard that I knew pretty well but turned from a wag to aggression. It taught me that animals sense alot more than we think through sense of smell. We have to give them time to evaluate us before we assert ourselves.

15. ninacrimaldi profile image60
    ninacrimaldiposted 12 years ago

I have never been bitten by a dog, however I bit a dog once.

16. profile image0
    autocadposted 12 years ago

no never...! I never have bitten by a dog.

17. Meg Ingram profile image61
    Meg Ingramposted 12 years ago

yes!! i was like ten or eleven . when our dog  bit my ear ..  we ended up given him away  due to his .. wildness he had wolfs blood in him  he was cool though .

18. carlo_olano profile image61
    carlo_olanoposted 12 years ago

When I was like 10, it was Christmas Day. A neighbor's dog bit me.

19. profile image0
    nuvanposted 12 years ago

No
    i feel they either have some pain and so get mad or they are teased knowly or unknowly direct or indirect by us then they bite us

20. vox vocis profile image82
    vox vocisposted 12 years ago

Yes, and after the little devil bit me, the owner became so worried about her dog, took the pet into her arms and started sweet talking to him. I just stared in schock and amaze!

21. CrowGal profile image59
    CrowGalposted 12 years ago

Ive been bit by a relatives puppy. It didnt hurt though

22. happypuppy profile image66
    happypuppyposted 12 years ago

Might have...I remember being chased by a dog when I was a kid sad

23. whitton profile image57
    whittonposted 12 years ago

Yes. I was just a little kid, about 7 years old. We had a little puppy that was very playful. The puppy became a little too playful and bit me in the face. As I was looking at childhood photos I came across the picture of the dog and I and the dog was just about to bite me.

24. jencooper profile image61
    jencooperposted 12 years ago

Yes, when I was a toddler and I am still terribly afraid of dogs.  The funny part is I don't actually remember the event.  My mom just told me about it when I was older.  She is sure that is why I am so afraid of dogs.

25. pbsandwichofdoom profile image87
    pbsandwichofdoomposted 12 years ago

Yep, by my aunt's St. Bernard when I was nine. She said it only nipped me, though, since it just left bruise marks for each tooth and didn't break the skin. She said if it had really bitten, it would've broken my arm!... which was... reassuring.

26. AUPADHYAY profile image58
    AUPADHYAYposted 12 years ago

Not yet. But when dogs bark at me, I feel every time, that this is the moment of life when I am helpless.

27. ClaudiaHillSparks profile image61
    ClaudiaHillSparksposted 12 years ago

Yes. When another dog attacked my dog, I tried to pull him off my dog and the dog bit me. This was right outside my vet's office. I learned a valuable tip that day (after the fact.) Pull the dog off my pulling on its tail. Don't get close to the dog's head or mouth.

28. Vladimir Molotkof profile image58
    Vladimir Molotkofposted 12 years ago

Yes in fact it was when I was in Denmark, I was walking up to a house and these two dogs came at me.  I ran to the fenced area and one got me before I could hop over.

29. myinjuryattorney profile image58
    myinjuryattorneyposted 12 years ago

Yes, last week. that's why it is important to hire a personal injury attorney in order for us to file a personal injury claim and get the right compensation for us.

30. profile image0
    Rosemary Banksposted 12 years ago

No I haven't, but if one ever bites me that is one dead dog.

31. nabeelplus profile image60
    nabeelplusposted 12 years ago

Thanks God no....I remember being chased by a dog when I was a kid...

32. staceyblount1992 profile image59
    staceyblount1992posted 12 years ago

No, but have come close to. I was in a pub garden, it was wuite late at night with my boyfriend, and the owners let their dogs out to have a run around, 2 dobermans, and as we went to leave one of them went for me, but luckily they told her to stop it, was so close though

33. profile image51
    Assef Khazardposted 12 years ago

Ive only been bitten by small yappy ones, luckily. Seems like its only those ones that do things like that, unless you happen to be running from a police dog.

34. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Yes. I used to live in a country that had dogs with rabies and I got bitten by one. It was a real inconvenience having to go to the doctor for rabies jabs.

35. Anna82 profile image60
    Anna82posted 12 years ago

Yes.

I remember my father brought a dog when I was a kid. It used to hate me and bit me few times even though I tried to be nice and play with it. It was a small dog.

Then my friends dog bit me when i was a teenager. It was German Shepherd. I got really scared that time.

I still love dogs though : )

36. theeaglesrose profile image59
    theeaglesroseposted 12 years ago

Yes....both dogs belonged to two different aunts of mine...hmmm... coincidence, I think not...lol.

37. PiaC profile image60
    PiaCposted 12 years ago

I was once bitten by a dog! Adding to the anxiety was the fact that this attack happened in a foreign country (Uzbekistan!) where we later found that it was not common to have the dog vaccinated. I washed out the area really well, applied iodine and an anti-septic cream. Thankfully, there was no infection, but I wish I'd gotten the rabies shot before going on the vacation.

38. greenshellmussel profile image60
    greenshellmusselposted 12 years ago

Yeah, once when I was around 4 yrs old and my father said I ran back up to the dog and bit him back. True Story

39. bangla-news profile image42
    bangla-newsposted 12 years ago

I am not luckily experienced with it! But I have seen others with this bitter experience.

40. mythicalstorm273 profile image60
    mythicalstorm273posted 12 years ago

Yes.  I had two dogs attack me at the same time as one grabbed each of my legs.  I had bruises (luckily they didn't break skin) all the way up my legs for two weeks after.  It is all a blur now, but I was so confused because I loved those dogs and had known them for quite a while before this occurred.  In after thought I believe it is because I was picking up sticks in the yard and they wanted to play, but I did not play with them.  I was about 10 when it occurred.

41. RASO profile image68
    RASOposted 12 years ago

No i haven`t. I have had my leg in dogs mouth, but we were just playing smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)