jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

I have a male bunny and my sister has a female, we wanted to breed them, only on

1. profile image49
    CaveDiamondzposted 7 years ago

I have a male bunny and my sister has a female, we wanted to breed them, only once and then i...

think i might get him neutered since now he is showing signs of hormones. What do you think I should do? Should i skip the breeding and just neuter him or would it harm anything if i did get just one litter

2. agvulpes profile image86
    agvulpesposted 7 years ago

My suggestion is to get the 'male' neutered as soon as possible :-)

3. Goody5 profile image76
    Goody5posted 7 years ago

I had bunny rabbits once, and it's not as easy as one is lead to believe. If you want to do it just put them together and let nature take it's coarse.

4. clearblue99 profile image60
    clearblue99posted 7 years ago

bunnies can breed quite rapidly so i would be careful....

5. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

How old are each of the rabbits in question, what breed, and what kind of demand is there locally for them? Research ideal breeding ages, especially for the doe. If you don't already have homes lined up, you'll have to make sure that you have sufficient housing for the babies where they can be separated according to gender, and possibly separated into individual cages as they get older. Bucks will often kill each other as they mature if they're kept together too long. Bear in mind that you could be talking about a LOT of babies -- I used to raise rabbits (and have a detailed description of my rabbitry on a couple of hubs) and the litters ranged on average between 7-12 young, but sometimes as much as 16. You'll need a good nesting box and a LARGE cage for the doe, and as stress-free of a place to put her as possible...she will eat the babies if she gets stressed, and many first-time mothers take very little to be pushed into harming or rejecting their young. In other words....if you're just looking for a single litter for kicks or "the experience", you'll probably find that it's not worth the preparation and work that goes into them, especially since in most places the most you can hope to get for a mixed-breed rabbit is about $5-$10, and it takes a LOT more than that to raise them in a home setting. Also be sure to research how you can tell if the doe is ready to breed, because she will likely attack the buck if she's not ready, and rabbits cause serious injury very quickly when they decide to fight.

working