My dog viciously bit me today. How can stop it?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. profile image51
    jeepmommyposted 13 years ago

My dog viciously bit me today.  How can stop it?

She's a 6 month old english bulldog/boxer mix.  I tried to take her rawhide away from her.

2. Girllookingout profile image58
    Girllookingoutposted 13 years ago

This will become a habit if you do not break it now while she is still a puppy. If I were you I would let her have the rawhide for a minute or two then take it away. If she tries to bite you, use your hand and tap her on the nose and say in a assertive voice "no". repeat this action tell she stops. Once she has gotten the idea praise her, by petting her or giving her a treat that she can quickly finish. I have done this with my Rottie and now can take away anything that they have in their mouth without the worry of being bitten. It might seem harsh at first, but in the long run it really makes for a better relationship.

3. allbreeds profile image58
    allbreedsposted 13 years ago

resource guarding is what it is called.
    Glove your hand if it does bite "viciously" Hold the rawhide in your hand as the dog tries to snap at it close your hand and tell him no in no uncertain manner.You have to make him realize that YOU are the resource giver and for that matter taker away..When he has realized which doesnt take too long snapping at your hand doesnt achieve his goal( getting the rawhide) he will submit to the fact that he has to wait for you to give it too him.The first time he doesnt attempt to snap give him the rawhide.To progress from that, hold the rawhide or better still a softer piece of food between your fingers and let him almost suck it from you by using his lips rather than mouth.Every time the mouth/teeth come into play take the treat away.From there move to a dog bowl with food in it have the dog tied and put the bowl just out of reach and feed him by hand from the bowl then moving the bowl closer doing the same thing..Soon you will be having him eating from your hand.When that can be done you will be able to take away food from him also.Have to teach them how to eat before you can teach them how not too eat

4. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 13 years ago

First, don't give your dog, puppy or adult, rawhide anything. It's not good for them if pieces are ingested. No, I'm not a vet but I've been told by several vets not to do this.

Second, it sounds like the dog has the impression she is the alpha in your relationship. Here's a trick I used with my new Brittany Spaniel and I've never had a problem out of her.

Have a package of crackers on the counter next to where you fix her food. When you're ready to give it to her, pick up one of the crackers and the bowl, get the dogs attention, and let her see you eat what she thinks is her food. The alpha always eats first in the canine world. I had my wife and even my two year old do this and now any of us, including my son, could walk up to her bowl while she's eating and she steps away. She does the same with her toys. She's not sacred, as none of us have ever hit her. She just knows we're the boss, not the other way around.

5. Mrs. J. B. profile image60
    Mrs. J. B.posted 13 years ago

When I read your question at first I thought what did you do. Once I read that you took the rawhide bone away it all made sense.
    Your dog was protecting what is his. Is biting you acceptable? Absolutely not. I hope you reprimanded your dog immediately. At six months old he is still a baby and learning.
    I hope that your bite was not severe and that you recovered quickly.
    I own 4 pitbulls and have learned to understand all the signs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)