How long does it take for the average dog to stop chewing on everything?

1. Bill Beavers profile image74
    Bill Beaversposted 7 years ago

How long does it take for the average dog to stop chewing on everything?

She doesn't really tear thing up or chew thing up she just constantly chews. She is currently about 3 months old. She is a Chihuahua and Yorkie mix.

2. erthfrend profile image68
    erthfrendposted 7 years ago

Make sure she has plenty of exercise which will give her the stimulation she needs both mentally and physically. Also, provide her with something that she IS allowed to chew on to satisfy those chewing needs. As for the age, i believe they all stop at different ages but in the meantime, these couple tips should help alot.

3. LiorST profile image59
    LiorSTposted 7 years ago

Hey Bill, dogs are chewers by nature, its their main tool of exploration!
    At 3 months old, she is just trying to put her jaws on basically anything she can, what you can do is tell her what she is allowed to chew by giving her toys, and what not - simply say "no" in a firm manor - that means aggressive enough for her to stop, but not too much. If she doesn't stop, you're not aggressive enough.
    When she gets to about 6 months old, her teeth will start replacing for permanent teeth, and then again she will begin to chew but on different materials.
    Toy suggestions for dogs her age are small rope-like dog toys
    and after her teeth gets replaced you should get tougher toys.

More information can be found on my hub - What You MUST Do As You Bring Home A New Dog - Part I