How Long Does The Average Hubber Last ?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (78 posts)
  1. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Ok his is mainly aimed at the older hubbers, by old I mean a member for 1 or 2 years. I have only been here 4 months but seen so many come and go already.

What would you say the lifespan of the average hubber is, I reckon 3 months. In fact how many hubbers are over a year old, hands up !!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good question ( for a pirate) lol
      actually have been thinkin the same thing

1. beautyrose profile image60
        beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

maybe a hubber will last as long as her/his account will not be disabled cause if so then all revenues will disappear though he/she can still continue hubbing without revenues anymore.

2. Ms Chievous profile image66
      Ms Chievousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

16 months and countin' Captain!

3. profile image0
      Hack Retisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just checked my expiration date, it doesn't look good.

1. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol yer deff not average !

1. profile image0
          Hack Retisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks man!

I never thought of myself as average, my teachers often told me I should be in special classes. wink

Actually, it was more like: "Hack, do you want to do advanced courses?"

"No, I like to sleep."

4. profile image0
      iamqweenbeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good question! I am one to get bored quickly and will venture off to find something new. I had a myspace account for 4 months until I got bored and moved onto friendster, then moved onto youtube, then yedda, then newsvine, then blackplanet, then facebook, then twitter, and now I am here on hubpages. I would say...I have about two more months before I move on to something else.

5. Crawling Surface profile image62
      Crawling Surfaceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is a good question. I myself have only been here for a couple of months, so I couldn't really say. Although I'm going to make the commitment to stick around for a while longer and try to get involved a little bit more. Up to this point I really haven't done much in the way of getting involved in the community, you know the whole pressed for time thing. At this point I'm going to give it an honest go. If anyone has any advice as far as anything to do with Hub pages feel free to take a look at some of my Hubs and let me know what you think my next move should be. Piece.

6. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's about the lifespan for an average anyone signed up anywhere. Be it at other publishing sites, forums... in fact I'd be surprised if the average forum poster even lasts that long.

2. Kim Cantrell profile image60
    Kim Cantrellposted 14 years ago

Hand up!  I've been here 2 years.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

I misunderstood the topic.  I was about to brag.

1. RooBee profile image82
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smilebig_smile
      Keep it up, Ron. yikes

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yuk Yuk Yuk

2. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh my goodness, that's gold!

3. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LMAO that is what I first thought smile smile

listen to you too lol  wascally wabbits

1. blondepoet profile image66

What's up doc???

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

I was going to let you answer for me.

1. blondepoet profile image66

I am the last one to stand.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

That's because someone has to untie you first.

4. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I start year 4 on July 31st.

1. RooBee profile image82
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are like a sage here.
      http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg191/youpimped/gallery2/gallery_1608.gif
      on your upcoming anniversary!

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

IDK, ask an average hubber smile

1. profile image49

I tried to, they had left smile

1. Ladybird33 profile image66
        Ladybird33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Being a little negative huh?  Well, if you don't like it, change it smile  Go on staff with hubpages and make changes for us all...there's your challange my friend smile  Sorry, I HAD to give you a hard time...still my friend?  sad

6. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 14 years ago

My first hub was published April 07, so just over two years ago.

7. Ultimate Hubber profile image73
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

I don't think I will last long here. I don't intend to quit hub pages completely but won't be very active once I am done with the hubChallenge.

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sad  why are so amny people quitting? I am still new and havent gotten in trouble YET...
      is it the clash between "true artist vs. money"? or ...what? I dont know...like I said...still new.
      btw. guess whats on my radio right this second?
      " God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...."

Its an omen lol

1. profile image0

ha ha..the freemasons are coming....

is ok ,they probably just bringin the beer lol

1. profile image0

I dont believe I would trust a free masons beer, or fish for that matter.

now I am listening to.."I know its tough, you got to suck it up, sounds like life to me..."
              good motto I say.

definatley ,where else can ya tavel , no make-up an suck it up n spit it out all before dinnertime lol

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

http://www.lukecole.com/Root%20Beer/Masons.jpg

Root beer

2. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would venture to guess that most sites like HP have very few writers who stay past a post or two and lots that never get around to posting anything. It's a lot of work and not everybody wants to put in the time.

1. profile image0

that makes sense...the new wears off, and all that.
          I still like it here.
          smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Yes I agree.
          I know I signed up in Oct 08 , wrote one hub and thought , geeze this is nuts , I got 1 c..lol

then life happened ,and I just was too busy, an forgot about HB.

Kicked started my first peek in the door earlier this year ,March I think...

I didnt used to mind unregistered walk ins leaving comments , but its getting a bit old taking their rants and not being able to read any of there work , blank spaces, grrr...

1. Jane@CM profile image61
            Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

BINGO...you said it so much better than I was trying to..to many unregistered walk-ins just posting on the forums, or registered and just posting in the forums & turning the forums into their own & going way off topic.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
              Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Unregistered people can't post on the forums. Don't complain about them posting comments on your Hubs - the unregistered visitors are the ones that pay you Adsense! 

As for the forums, I also notice there's been a huge increase in people joining HubPages, not writing a single Hub and doing a lot of posting on the forums. I think it's because some people are promoting HubPages more as a social networking site (like Facebook) than as an article writing site. I have no idea where that came from!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
                Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is there a way to restrict forum posting to hub posters? -- or is that a bad idea?
                I can understand that some newbies might want to ask some questions or get a feel of what the regular participants are like . . . but some of them seem not really interested in positive contributions.

3. Maddie Ruud profile image72
          Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In my 2+ years here (first as a Hubber, then as a Hubber and staff member), I've seen a lot of people come and go, for a myriad of reasons.  In my experience, the people who stay:

1) Sign up knowing they're going to be in it for the long haul (ie, aren't here to make quick money, have realistic expectations about the time and work it takes to earn a decent monthly payout).
          2) Genuinely enjoy writing, in and of itself.  (You have to, if you're going to last.  See first point.)
          3) Have a thick skin and pick their battles.  (Many people take forum bickering very seriously and very personally, and get themselves worked up to a point where they leave in a huff.)

1. profile image0

awwww.
            #1...I signed up with no idea how cool this was going to be
            #2...I really hope my "I have no intentions to make a single penny." view effects anyone? If it does, I would TOATALLY not be here and hurt other hardworking people.
            #3 I have elephant knee's skin

2. Chris1|Chris2 profile image59
            Chris1|Chris2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's good advice. I'm still a newbie here, and trying to get a realistic idea of how long it'll take before there's any sort of cash flow... Looks like it's gonna be a while. I've started out by doing the 30 day challenge thing though--do you think that's a good way to jump-start my place in the HP community and start racking up clicks?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
              Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.  Be sure to check out Hup's video on how to pick a good hub topic for some keyword tips.

3. profile image0

Yes that makes sense. #3 can definitely be hard. You really have to know when to let stuff go and when to just ignore negative remarks, and I think (at least speaking only for myself) there's a learning curve involved in that.

As for #1 and #2 that's definitely me. My kids are grown, and even when they were small I wrote every day. I would write every day whether the internet existed or not because I love to write. Writing here I make some friends and a little money too. smile

8. dawei888 profile image60
    dawei888posted 14 years ago

My Captain,

I think how long we stay here depends on one single thing: THE GOOGLE SLAP. If HP gets the google slap like squidoo then people will leave by the thousands. so, it's of utmost importance that a) people don't use this site for spamming purposes and b) HP staff stays vigilant against spammers.

i think that part of the downside of a good website's success is the attraction of spammers. once they grow in numbers the value of the site decreases and google takes notice. look at twitter now. try driving traffic to a site w/a new twitter account - good luck.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image73
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

TRUE!

2. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.  When I first joined, I actually liked the forums here, but now I see they are sprinkled with spammers,stalkers & wannabe's galore.  I hope this doesn't affect whether people stay or not. 

It has been said by quite a few members, that participating in the forums does help your Hubs, and you become acquainted with fellow writers, who truly want to write quality.  I'm finding that the most simple topics are now spammed consistently from people who a) haven't even written a hub, b) are attention seekers, c) have their own agenda & over post in every thread.  This to me is a huge turn off, enough that I'm reconsidering staying on here.

I like the idea of free thinking, not spamming or are just in the forums to make peoples lives miserable smile

1. profile image49

You have a stalker, jeeez ya learn something new every night. I certainly wouldnt leave over what others do though, I would though if google left. People don't bother me at all, I actually like all different kinds, be boring if we were all boring, no ?

9. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Fifteen months.
    Is there such a thing as an 'average hubbber'?

1. profile image49

Yeah I have noticed they give up around the 3 month mark, on average that is !

10. flread45 profile image59
    flread45posted 14 years ago

I shall agree that if google leaves the hubpages,anyone here who is making money will leave also.I have been here 18 months,and it takes a long time to hit payout,but it's interesting and fun if you don't let people get under your skin in the forums,which I have seen.There is a big change on the topics,with a lot of criticism on some subjects.

11. Pennie Packard profile image60
    Pennie Packardposted 14 years ago

I've been a Hubber for only six weeks and so far only have 10 hubs up so I'm not sure where I'm headed at this point or how long it will take me to get there.

Hubbers, do most of you have some sort of goal in mind, like hubbing till you reach 100 hubs or 200 hubs or something? Or hubbing until you reach a certain monetary goal and if you don't reach it or don't feel you're going to, will you stop adding hubs altogether and go somewhere else?

1. profile image49

I just enjoy writing Pennie, I will write away unless as dawe suggests that google go, then moi ship would sail !

2. profile image0
      iamqweenbeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just like most other sites I join, I am hubbing until I get bored and will move on from there. ;-)

3. Eaglekiwi profile image75

My original goal was to get some writing tips,( while I whipped out a bestseller lol and test the waters so to speak ,and in some ways it still is
      Think Id really love to write more in a 'writers setting' ie maybe the local community high school has night classes or something inexpensive.

To be honest, its more of a hobby than a job ,although some hubbers do have successful careers writing here and other places.
      I dont have the knowledge or focus or dare I say talent.

For me now , its a moment in time.

I think I will be around 75 yrs old when I make my first $100 , so maybe I can play bingo lol

12. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

I've been here for thirteen months. I find that my enthusiasm for Hubpages waxes and wanes. The first six months I was very dedicated, and then one of my hubs got linked on reddit, and I had about 60,000 views in a couple of days, and then things went quiet and I had some other things going on, so I stopped for a while, and now I've come back, but am not as avid as before.

I think it takes a while to establish realistic expectations...

1. profile image49

I know what you mean, I get like that as well. You get weeks the clicks are going well, then it drys up and you think why bother. Then it clicks why, I have no life, woe is me !

13. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

My first hub was January 3, 2008, so about a year and half for me, plus a few weeks.

I've been checking out other sites and trying to link more between the different places I post. I like HP the best as far as community goes but I'm not convinced it that writing here is the most productive use of my time dollar wise.

As for my enthusiasm, it comes and goes but I usually post at least an article or two a week, sometimes more, and my ad revenue has recently started to get lots better. smile

And we are glad you do. You are one of those who make this a good site.

1. profile image0

Thanks Rochelle! And same to you! smile

14. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm heading on completing three years (sometime in the next couple of months).  Time sure flies when you're having a good time.   smile

15. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

This is an excellent question, BC! Like everyone else, I've noticed a huge amount of turnover in my time here. But that doesn't affect my writing -- maybe my participating in comment threads and forum posts. I mean, until you "get to know" a group, it's not all that comfortable to jump in and bare yourself, ya know?

Another question that I think is a valid one is this: How many hubbers "reinvent" themselves? I can't help but think some of our newer hubbers are really old school hubbers with new identities. Hmmm:-). MM

1. profile image0

for myself, I am really me, never been anyone else. But I have wondered this exact same thing. PLUS how many people are here, at at the same time as themselves...like, they never left but have more then one person...hmmmm...good question indeed.

16. DennisBarker profile image59
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

If I was focussed on making dollars I would have stayed away, but I enjoy writing and the more I proactice the better I get and the easier it gets to come up with stuff that I think has merit.

As long as theres a place to post ideas I should still be here. Having said that I've only been active again  for three months and I have that same four month hopping cycle as has been mentioned previously. All I can add is that hubpages is an in the moment self expression thing for me, If I find somewhere else to write thats more profitable I'll write there as well.
    Regards
    Dennis

17. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Wrote my first hub on the site in December of 2006.  I wrote another one a few months later, and periodically would check the comments I got on my hubs from time to time.  It was not until December of 2007 that I become a more active hubber on this site, and I have never looked back.  Hubpages has opened the door to meaningful online communications because in the past most sites never really held my attention.

18. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Around 2 or 3 minutes is my personal best...oh for actually sticking around?!!!

This can be worked out by subtracting the time taken from the addition of equal amounts of variables that engulf the er....yeah okay there is no working this out...brain is fried at the moment!

19. profile image0
    Sidney Rayneposted 14 years ago

I would imagine the turnover is exceptional...there is essentially a crowd that will come to this site under the premise that they will earn a quick dollar....suffice to say that statement alone shows lack of dedication.

There is nothing quick about money (unless you consider spending it) and usually when earning a dollar is the only catalyst for your being involved in a project...the project is less than short-lived.

It appears this site shows potential for earning some money...but the core group that resides here is passionate about writing and having an outlet to express their ideas or opinions.

20. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

On another note, most of my referrals (I have a total of 1599) have published zero hubs.

So I don't know if they stuck around more than 3 minutes let alone 3 months.

21. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 14 years ago

I came on board 15 months ago. Doesn't seem like that long.

Donna told me about this from another site-- You're right, time does fly. Really, really glad she did. My  meager earnings  are growing toward payout, but the fun and learning is a very good benefit. I gotta get back to posting hubs.

Thanks, pgrundy. Keep up the good work. (I know you will, but I just had to say that to take some credit.) smile

22. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

I am doomed to haunt these forums for ever...

23. chucky12 profile image57
    chucky12posted 14 years ago

Well I may post in the Forums, but my ex has signed up now so, I probably won't bother writing, as she'll be readin.
    I dunno, just feel that people aren't too tolerant, of others opinions on the Forums, I don't mind being read the riot act.
    But I got told not to "bitch" about my life first night.
    Except for the one guy, everyone took my alki ex's side. Are ya readin this darlin?
    So while one guy Earnesthub, was a Gent, others just whined.

1. ClaudetteK profile image58
      ClaudetteKposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well you came on here and whined your guts out what did you expect Charles.

1. chucky12 profile image57
        chucky12posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Been feeding up since I left Claudie, ha is that meant to be Miranda, she is not going to be impressed.

1. ClaudetteK profile image58
          ClaudetteKposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can save it and shove it in your wallet babe!

1. chucky12 profile image57
            chucky12posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah thanks will do that, re[place the one I have of you, I won't be answerin you again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)