Flea Treatment

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Eternal Evolution profile image71
    Eternal Evolutionposted 14 years ago

Curently I'm usuing frountline. I have read that since it's one of the first prescription flea medications the fleas are getting immune to it. I have used frountline on my dogs for years now and have noticed with my Pit Bull Bowser that it does work but not as effectivly as it has in the past.

What flea medications have you found to work? Which ones have you found to be a waste of money? Any suggestions on an effective flea treatment, either from a vet or over the counter?

Eternal Evolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that i made a typo it's frontline not frountline. I tend to do this a lot sorry.

2. thepetblog profile image69
      thepetblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have done a lot of research on this topic.  I have also met with a representative from frontline.  It appears that fleas are becoming immune to the same flea treatment being used which by most is frontline.

Try Revolution, it's about the same cost as frontline and seems to be working for those that have used frontline in the past and has ceased working.  Advantage is also not working for many these days so I would give Revolution a shot.  Remember though, you must treat your home and all other pets as well.

See an article I wrote about flea treaments at my pet blog.

http://www.thepetblog.net/?p=160

thepetblog.net

2. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Try comfortis. It's a monthly pill. It's a little expensive, but really works wonders.

I've found all flea/tick treatments that are drops on the fur are a waste of money. I've never had them work properly. I have 3 inside dogs that rarely get fleas, but for the outside dog, no drops have worked. Comfortis helped get rid of his fleas then the drops helped few a few days to keep them off. Frontline or any other drop product we tried wouldn't get rid of the current fleas. One year I sat all afternoon with him and a flea comb, got ride of all fleas I could, gave him a flea bath, flea combed him again, let him dry, applied frontline, the next weekend he had fleas again.

There are many dog breeds that have been proven not to work with the drops. Yorkies for example have high potential for frontline not getting rid of fleas and keeping fleas off. This is actually how comfortis was implemented in our house. The yorkie could not get rid of his fleas and was giving them to the other dogs.

3. profile image53
    Ibrambaposted 14 years ago

Try ditomaceous earth - available in the pool supply section of Home Depot and Lowes or at a pool supply center.  It is the fossilized remains of diatoms (a shellfish); and is not harmful to humans or pets.  The microscopic edges of the crushed matter, scratches the hard outer shell of the flea and the flea dies.

Sprinkle directly onto your pet and rub it in down to the fur roots, spinkle (cast) in your yard, animal bedding, even on your carpets - the stuff is miraculous!  Even better, if you have any eggs waiting to hatch - when they emerge, they die too!

I raise large breed dogs for search and rescue and this stuff is stupendous and keeps me from the expense (and posion) of flea medication.

Good luck!

4. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

K9 Advantix works well for my hounds. No over the counter stuff is very good. I tried some herbal stuff too and it wasn't so good. Haven't tried the Comfortis as mine seems to be fine. Good luck now.

I had heard that the k9 advantix worked well, i have been considering giving it a try. thanks for replying.

5. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I thought I heard advantix has a lot more potential side effects than frontline or advantage.

6. arklady profile image61
    arkladyposted 14 years ago

I just finished a book on the topic and thought you might need some clarification.

Some vets suspect that a few flea control products have lost
    their effectiveness BUT it is suspected that those products
    are less effective because they are counterfeit.

One study on Advantage found that it has not lost effectiveness
    but I have not heard about any similar findings or substantiation
    on the rumors.

As far as DE, you need to use the _food grade_ diatomaceous earth
    not the filter type and that is not available in home improvement stores.

Find it in  health food stores, feed stores, and online sources such as eBay under the trade names of Permaguard or Azmira.

There are a lot of different methods to tackle fleas but the key is to treat the home, yard, and animal at the same time and continue for up to eight weeks.

7. Wonder_Woman profile image58
    Wonder_Womanposted 14 years ago

Oh great topic! 3 cats of mine like to graze in the backyard. the youngest one got fleas and we tried everything to get ride of them. we took the cats showers with flea shampoo, sprayed the whole house down with flea prevention crap, and boguht powder to rub on my cats and still they have it, and the oldest cats ended up getting rashed and loosing their hair :*(

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)