Anyone having problems with Frontline flea treatment not working?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Judi Bee profile image91
    Judi Beeposted 11 years ago

Anyone having problems with Frontline flea treatment not working?

My sister-in-law has used it for her cats for years, but she says that during the last two summers it's been ineffective and her neighbours are finding the same problem.  A few colleagues with cats have said much the same and I've found a few threads on the Internet about it.

My sister-in-law is now hoovering her home three times a day, has used foggers, sprays and natural treatments, all to no effect (because of course the cats keep bringing in fleas from outdoors).

Have you had experience of this happening.  If yes, are you using a different treatment, if so what?

2. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

My vet has my dog on Revolution so I don't have to give him a separate heartworm pill.  So far its been working great (two years now).  I've never used Frontline.

Judi Beeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Our dog is fine with our flea treatment at the moment (Stronghold) but there seems to be a growing buzz about Frontline not working.

2. Team Wiseman profile image81
      Team Wisemanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Frontline is certainly not working. Once applied it kicks right in seemingly stunning the adult fleas. The first application was the best. I've applied it 3 times in 3 months. My dog has fleas! Frontline is failing.

3. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image74
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years ago

Is she using Frontline or Frontline Plus? The former kills only the adult fleas and the latter also kills the larvae and eggs. Fleas can become immune to this type of chemical. This is the worst summer ever for fleas with all the heat and humidity. I'm more into natural remedies. I did a hub "How to Debug Your Kitty" and I've solved the flea problem without a bunch of chemicals that might harm the animal or even humans. The cat still hates getting a bath mostly every day. He'll run and hide when he hears the water running in the sink.

Frontline Plus.  It's the immunity angle I'm interested in hearing about, I'd like to see how widespread it is.  She is using natural treatments at the moment, but whilst I think they can deter fleas, they don't seem to be getting rid of them.

4. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

I don't have cats and I have never used Frontline, lol, so I am not really in a position to answer your question. I would like to offer an alternative for you (or your SIL) to consider. I have dogs. I have never used Frontline or any of those topicals because I hate the thought of putting bug poison on my dog's skin. For years I have used Program and have gotten great results from it, as in no more fleas, ever. You can buy it over the counter from amazon or pet supply companies. Cats can use it too. It is in the form of a pill that the animal takes once a month. It works great but takes a couple of weeks at the very beginning for the adult fleas to die off. I wrote a hub about it that goes into more detail. Search "Program Flea Control for Dogs: Product Review" on my profile page if you want more specifics. Your SIL will never have to worry about Hoovering 3x a day again, or spraying dangerous insecticide into the air of her home, or putting it onto her pet's skin.

I prefer Program to topicals because while it stops baby fleas from growing into adults, according to wikipedia it "is safe because Lufenuron is biochemically inert to mammals." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lufenuron

It is still a chemical, so she may not be interested if she is trying to be chemical free. It does not kill ticks or prevent heartworm disease. It does, however, prevent ringworm in many cases, but not 100%. I am always trying to spread the word on Program because it works so well, but it seems like no one has ever heard of it -- I think because vets push the other stuff. (I wonder if they must be getting incentives to sell the topicals.) My vet even stopped selling it at all, with no explanation other than the topicals were "considered more modern." Not that it isn't effective. There have been no reported problems with it, other than occasional upset stomach. Go figure.  IMHO Program is a safer and more effective and product.

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image74
      BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, no doubt the vets have incentives for peddling the topicals.

I got some free samples of Advantage the last time I was at the vets. Never used it.

I was wondering, how does that stuff you put on back of the neck kill fleas on its underside?

2. SmartAndFun profile image95
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ B&GJ, I'm not positive, but I believe it is absorbed into the bloodstream through the skin.

3. Judi Bee profile image91

I know that Frontline goes into the layer of skin under the fur and is dispersed by the animal's natural oils.

5. zsobig profile image82
    zsobigposted 11 years ago

Yes, we had the same problem lately.
    We had spot-ons and the special spray of Frontline, but none of them was working.
    I guess they might have changed the chemicals that Frontline contains, or bugs just got used to it somehow, I'm not sure.
    Last time we bought several things together to get rid of these little instects and instead of Frontline I've chosen the Bob Martin one. This seemed to be much better as the fleas were shortly gone and the cats didn't want to lick the liquid off their backs - it had a less annoying smell that Frontline does.
    All in all, I have just published a hub today about my experiences on this topic, I hope it could help you:
    http://zsobig.hubpages.com/hub/Help-Fle … ur-animals

Thanks, I'll take a look smile

6. agilitymach profile image93
    agilitymachposted 11 years ago

Unfortunately, Frontline has ceased being effective across the US.  I believe there are still "pockets" in the US where it is working, but the fleas in general have become immune to it's affects.  As a professional dog agility instructor, I'm in contact with other dog trainers across the country (and world), and this is pretty much a national occurrence.

Many have switched to Advantix II for their dogs.  It is still quite effective.  However, I do really only know about dogs, and not cats.  Cats are more susceptible to the chemicals in flea treatments, so you do really need to research before switching flea treatments for your cat.  I do know it can be deadly to use a flea treatment made for dogs on your cat.  Always triple check that you have a cat's flea treatment before you apply it.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering - so it looks like the fleas in much of the US (and possibly UK) have built up an immunity.  Sad that vets don't seem to be mentioning it.  We will have to look into an alternative for her cat.  Thanks.

2. agilitymach profile image93
      agilitymachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My vet is mentioning it, fortunately.  He stays very up-to-date on that sort of thing. smile  But it is true that many don't seem to.

7. Ann1Az2 profile image74
    Ann1Az2posted 11 years ago

I've used it in the past on my cats and it became ineffective. I haven't used anything on them in over a year. Since we moved to another city, we haven't had the flea problems we had before. I do keep granules in the yard so we won't bring them in. My cats stay inside. Brushing seems to help a lot and I use a flea comb every night. About every other night, I get one or two fleas, but not on every cat (I have four). Brushing has completely eliminated the fleas, but they are under control. I have to agree with SmartAndFun - the more I read about these treatments, the less I want to use them on my cats. I noticed when I did use it, they laid around the house for a day or two which didn't set well with me. It wasn't like they had relief from fleas; it was more like they didn't feel very well.

I'm convinced brushing is the answer, at least for indoor pets. Flea combs are a lot cheaper than the treatments, too.

8. profile image52
    Giddy Geezerposted 11 years ago

We were using Frontline on our cats and they were still covered with fleas. Our vet recommended Advantage for cats. I tried it and found it to be a lot more effective than the Frontline. I did not get the same results however with Advantage for dogs. The Frontline seemed to do a better job on him.  We have been spraying his fenced in yard area as well. That seemed to help some but he still gets a few fleas around his back end. I really do believe they could survive a nuclear holocaust!

1. SmartAndFun profile image95

They do not survive Program. I'm telling you, the stuff really works, and you'll never have to spray anything again. Sorry to keep harping about it, but it's a great, simple product that delivers as promised. smile

9. Diana Lee profile image77
    Diana Leeposted 11 years ago

I use Frontline Plus, but they do become immune or so I've been told. It's good to alternate another flea control from time to time. There are a number of home remedies. A dusting of powered sage will make the fleas leave the animal, but it won't kill the fleas.

10. BeautySavvy22 profile image75
    BeautySavvy22posted 11 years ago

The best treatment out there, which also prevents and treats all types of worms is called Revolution.  It is very safe, affordable and has great results!

11. Kathleen Cochran profile image80
    Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years ago

Yes.  My vet said the fleas are becoming resistent to it and changed my dog to a new brand.  They exchanged what I had at not cost.  Good luck!

12. toknowinfo profile image71
    toknowinfoposted 11 years ago

I prefer Advantage and have found it to be quick working and very effective.

13. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Yes, I would highly recommend the pills you can get for your pets now. You don't have to worry about frontline's allergic reactions, and they work for at least one month. They are cheep as well. Pets up to 12 pounds around 12 dollars.

1. agilitymach profile image93
      agilitymachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would add a warning about the pills though.  Some breeds are not doing well with Comfortis, and as the pill last an entire month, if a dog begins neurological problems from the pills, then it's an issue.  Talk with your vet first.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.

3. SmartAndFun profile image95

Good advice, agilitymach. For the record, the Program pills I recommend have a different active ingredient than Comfortis; Program has not caused neuro problems. Its safety record is the reason it is available at Amazon.com without a prescription.

14. Farmer Rachel profile image94
    Farmer Rachelposted 11 years ago

I was using Frontline Plus, but we live on a little farm practically in the woods, so there's lots of potential for fleas and ticks. Frontline Plus basically doesn't work for my bog. I give her a flea bath every month instead, and keep her lyme's vaccine current. I'm happier this way, anyway - Frontline is SO expensive, and I never really was fond of the idea of using a systemic poison on the body of an animal that I care about.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)