jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is there an all-natural alternative to "frontline" (prevent fleas and ticks) for

1. vocalcoach profile image98
    vocalcoachposted 6 years ago

Is there an all-natural alternative to "frontline" (prevent fleas and ticks) for dogs?

2. butterflystar profile image80
    butterflystarposted 6 years ago

The only thing I know that gets rid of fleas and ticks in the house and carpet for good is boric acid, however it is poiseness, but a friend of mine had me do it once. And i just sprinkled all over the carpet and took a broom to dust it in for one day and the next day vacuumed and never had a flea again. Not sure if it works for ticks but I never had a flea again. Other products never worked for too long. Plus Boric acid gets rid of roaches and all kinds of bugs. smile

3. Lyn.Stewart profile image70
    Lyn.Stewartposted 6 years ago

For fleas ~
    Lavender oils have been cited as quite effective in flea prevention. Add a few drops of lavender oil to 8 oz water and spray over the Dog. Some people have found it effective.

Eucalyptus Oils used in a similar manner can also be employed as a natural flea prevention. Also try a few drops on bedding etc or even some leaves.

Adding a third apple cider vinegar to two thirds water and poring all over the Dog after bathing has worked well for some. Just dry the Dog lightly and the smell will soon disappear.

A lemon, cut up and left in 8 oz of water for a day has seen good results when then sprayed on your Dog. Preventing fleas in Dogs has a lot of these type of solutions and a lot of the different essential oils mixed with water are said to be very effective.

For ticks ~
    Oils such as lavender, lemongrass, eucalyptus,etc can be added to water and applied to the Dog.

There seem to be a lot of natural tick prevention solutions on the market, many simply containing the natural oils stated above. I don’t know if they work well but again you may give them a try. Natural tick prevention really comes down to avoidance. They are much tougher to prevent naturally than fleas.

I really have found little to support these treatments. Frontline medicine, or something like advantix, though chemical based, is definitely the most thorough and effective solution.

4. profile image0
    rorshak sobchakposted 6 years ago

My dogs get so many ticks it is crazy. I use frontline on them and I haven't seen any results. I keep the grass mowed where they go to the bathroom to keep the ticks to a minimum but it doesnt seem to help.

rorshak sobchak

5. cloverleaffarm profile image63
    cloverleaffarmposted 5 years ago

Eeeks. It is best not to use essential oils directly onto dogs...and should never directly onto cats. It can kill the cat. It is best to use on a collar, or bandana tied around the neck. You can also use it on bedding. You can use to bathe them, but at high dilution rates. Essential oils are very powerful, and their sense of smell is so much stronger than ours, it can cause allergic reactions in some dogs.
    Best of luck.
    PS. Never use pennyroyal. It has killed many dogs.

Closed to reply