jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Hi will having my dog castrated affect his build as testosterone is neaded to bu

1. profile image45
    hyperdogposted 7 years ago

Hi will having my dog castrated affect his build as testosterone is neaded to build muscle

2. TheSenior profile image60
    TheSeniorposted 7 years ago

It will have virtually no effect on his build at all - what will happen is that he will continue to grow and will be a much gentler dog and a better companion for you.

It will also control his urges during mating season about 90% and therefore much less of a chance of 'jumping' the fence to seek a 'mate'.  Just don't feed him junk food.

3. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

There won't be any affect on his physical appearance.Just keep up regular exercising and a good diet.

4. afriqnet profile image51
    afriqnetposted 7 years ago

Castration of your dog may not necessarily affect the behavior of your dog. But on a professional advice I prefer the dog to be a little mature to allow him have some testosterone. On interest is a case I participated some years back: We were suppose to castrate a Zoo Lion but the Zoo veterinarian suggested that Lions should be vasectomized  since if castrated they would lose their wild demeanor. I Here are some photos

5. Puppyluv profile image73
    Puppyluvposted 7 years ago

I'm not a veterinarian, but being in the veterinary field for 15 years, I've seen some things. smile  With Pit Bulls especially, I've noticed that you can certainly tell when you have an un-neutered male.  Their muscular stature is more developed than in a neutered male.  Same thing goes for cats.  Male cats that aren't neutered develop a larger head due to the testosterone.  Not sure what the vets would say about it, but I've seen the difference.