jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How can I get a kitten to stop scratching furniture?

1. HannahRiley profile image59
    HannahRileyposted 6 years ago

How can I get a kitten to stop scratching furniture?

2. CASE1WORKER profile image71
    CASE1WORKERposted 6 years ago

This is not easy. You can try getting her a scratching post which she may or may not use. It could actually be the glue in the furniture that is acting as an attractor. it might be a little extreme to change the furniture. The best way is to tell her off every time she does it. You could cover the sofa etc with a blanket so she plays with that rather than the actual item.Just make sure that she is never in the room on her own! Tiggy did this when we had a new carpet- scratched it in exactly the position he scratched the old one. Daddy was not amused and bought a heavy metal strip which covers it  so he can no longer scratch!

3. ShootersCenter profile image72
    ShootersCenterposted 6 years ago

We use a spray bottle with water, at first you have to spray them all the time it seems but after a while just seeing the bottle in your hand they stop, til finally they just won't do it anymore. It will take weeks to months depending on the cat.

4. Jenne Joy profile image59
    Jenne Joyposted 6 years ago

As a foster parent for cats & kittens; my husband and I have found that using double-sided sticky tape works the absolute best. Once they stick their paws on it, they're deterred. They don't like the sticky feel!

Also, be sure to provide plenty of scratching alternatives: cardboard scratching pads, cat trees, etc. A cat needs to be able to scratch *something*, otherwise they'll destroy your furniture. By providing them with something accessible (and rewarding them for scratching the correct items,) you'll create the good behavior you desire; and the double sided sticky tape will help enforce that.

PetSmart has this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j … Id=2755193

You can also just purchase standard double-sided tape, but be aware that it -could- potentially discolor your furniture.

Good luck! :]

5. profile image55
    consentinoposted 6 years ago

Our cat did that and we bought her a cat tree.  They have post which are either covered with carpet or sisal.  Just slowly take her paw and show her, she cat scratch on it.  Your kitty will get the hand of it.  The trees are also great for your pet to play and run on, plus she will get good exercise.  Check them out.