jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

City bans dog ownership?

1. danielleantosz profile image74
    danielleantoszposted 6 years ago

City bans dog ownership?

A city in China has banned dogs because 42 people have died in the past three years from rabies.  Owners must turn in their dogs, which will be adopted or killed.  While I agree that human life is more important than an animals, this still seems very wrong. What do you think?

2. .josh. profile image60
    .josh.posted 6 years ago

While I understand the response to a degree, I think this city has more to be concerned about than just the dogs; most parts of the world condone pet ownership, and I've never heard of a place having such a prevalence of people dying from rabid dog attacks.

I hate to ask, but were these dogs being bred as companions, or as food? (I've lived in parts of Asia, and particularly in parts of China and South Korea, people do eat dog.) There has to be something going on over there, because those numbers are absolutely outrageous.

3. danielleantosz profile image74
    danielleantoszposted 6 years ago

the link is here http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 … rn-them-in
    From the article, this law is about pets, although I do know that dogs are eaten in some parts of asia.  While I find it gross (sorry, I love my puppy!!)  I know its pretty normal and hey, we eat cows.  A quick google search (which is totally the BEST way to get knowledge wink ) Says you can't get rabies from animals meat.  It just seems to me that forced rabies shot would be a cheaper and more humane solution.  Just sayin.

4. profile image0
    Dandraposted 6 years ago

If that happened in the west, most people would lose their closest and only friends.

5. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I agree with .josh. the figures do seem to be weirdly high! All I can say is that if I lived there I would be taking my dogs and moving pronto somewhere else - I'm like you I love my dogs!

This is in-humane since there is a vaccine that can be used and since China's economy is supposed to be booming then there is no excuse for their government not to pay for it.

But what is odd is where are the dogs contracting rabies from? To my knowledge - and I could be wrong - they are not carriers. So wouldn't it be better to try and deal with the source? This would surely give more protection to people and animals than the present 'cure'.

6. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

Maybe they need to stop eating dogs for a change! Then they'll stop biting humans?

7. Moms-Secret profile image83
    Moms-Secretposted 6 years ago

I do not believe that a human life is more important than that of an animal.  I know people will read too much into that, I am sure.  A dangerous animal who has hurt or killed a human is put down, I understand that.  I am against making such a broad decision.  To take away family pets because of a preventable disease is absurd and extreme.  If you ask me, China is the one to blame for not providing & enforcing the vaccine.

Shame - displacing fault and punishing the pets who are guided thru life and have not chosen to have rabies.

working