jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why is it that dogs love to hang there head out of the ar window. They seem to

1. Gloshei profile image60
    Glosheiposted 6 years ago

Why is it that dogs love to hang there head out of the ar window.  They seem to love it.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5500258_f260.jpg

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

Because their nose is thousands of times more sensitive than ours are, and they are LOVING the smells.

3. SuperheroSales profile image61
    SuperheroSalesposted 6 years ago

Gosh, I love it too!  Feeling the air blowing by your face makes you feel at peace with the world.  I suppose that's one of the reasons they like it! big_smile

4. tarrka1089 profile image60
    tarrka1089posted 6 years ago

Their ears flapping in the wind, the smells and enjoying life (just as long as the bugs don't get in the eyes).

5. Cutters profile image60
    Cuttersposted 6 years ago

We all have seen dogs sticking their heads out of windows of cars. Usually they have their tongue sticking out as well.. The reason is they are soaking up information from the world around them. Since their noses are more powerful than ours ,they can sense what is going on around them. I do think they enjoy it. But it is not very safe for the dog to be doing this. They could hit a road sign or some road debris or worse another car. That's what I think.

6. thebeast02 profile image84
    thebeast02posted 6 years ago

I would second the senses thing. If you watch them when they do it, often times their noses are twitching like crazy as they try to absorb all of the different scents flying through their nostrils.

7. TheEpicJourney profile image80
    TheEpicJourneyposted 6 years ago

Some of the posters have already said it, I think they love it because they are collecting so much scents from the air as they go whizzing by.  The speed of the air passing over their nose is bringing that much more scent to them.  I also think its a cooling thing.  Dogs' primary cooling system is their tongue, i.e. panting, so when they are going super fast and have all that air passing over their tongue they are cooling off that much faster.  Same reason we love fans smile  I think both of these reasons make for an irresistible opportunity for fun brought to them by an open window.

working