jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do people automatically think snakes are slimy??? I never understand that...

1. Nspeel profile image75
    Nspeelposted 6 years ago

Why do people automatically think snakes are slimy??? I never understand that...

I have never felt your touched a slimy snake but a lot of people think of snakes and think slimy where did this start or come from? Do you think they are slimy, why do you think they are slimy? What made you think they were slimy? Snakes are made of scales much like a fish except not in water. Most healthy snakes are very dry and very soft scales. I have never seen a slimy snake lol

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

Yes, I hate this myth. I have held snakes, even large boa constrictors, and they feel like plastic and very soft. A snake may slither through slime, but slime is not produced by his or her own body, to my knowledge. I know of no "slime glands" in snakes! Do you? I want to know if there are such things.

So, when a pastor got up in front of a congregation I visited and gambled on most people believing the myth, and he said, "God made satan into a snake, that slimey thing", people in tthe pews shouted Yuk and Yewwww. Well, they were taken in by a myth, but I cannot trust a liar in the pulpit. What is the next lie? I am sorry to say this happened. It was nearly two years ago and I am still sad when I think of it.

3. Alastar Packer profile image84
    Alastar Packerposted 6 years ago

Snakes are the slimiest things around! They also grab their tails and roll down hills to bite people. If you cut off a rattlers head it can still bite you for 24 hrs. too. Copperheads are mating with black snakes and I know macho men who will swear it's true so it must be. And one last thing- they wickedly get in the grass to strike at the innocent feet of children. If only Saint Patrick could have lived long enough to visit all places where the serpents lurk! Ian Anderson, thank you for your song Bungle in the Jungle.

4. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Maybe they're from a place that has a lot of water snakes? I don't know -- I've never understood it either, maybe it's just because they're smooth and some have a bit of a shine to them. Then again, I grew up playing with gardener snakes long before I ever heard the slimy bit, so such myths had no chance to get to my brain.

5. rockrweasle profile image69
    rockrweasleposted 6 years ago

When I was a kid I thought snakes were slimy just because they slide around and that was the only way I could explain it to myself. After actually holding a snake and feeling how they grip their way along it made more sense, but for people who have never held or touched a snake I can see how they might get confused.