jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should spaying/neutering cats/dogs be mandatory?

1. Cat R profile image73
    Cat Rposted 6 years ago

Should spaying/neutering cats/dogs be mandatory?

Supporters say that spaying/neutering will solve the overpopulation problem (makes sense when you consider that statistically every 1.5 seconds a homeless animal is euthanized!)!

Opposed individuals say that it will reduce the gene-pool (which makes sense when you think about how many full blooded dogs were bred for looks and ended up with health issues.).

What do you think?

What would be your solution for the overpopulation problem?

2. Becky Katz profile image84
    Becky Katzposted 6 years ago

I think a lot more people would get their animals spayed/neutered if it was less expensive. I would. I have a small male that has not spread his gene pool as he is a mutt. I keep him indoors or on a leash.Pure blooded animals should be checked and if the animal has any health issues to pass along, they should be fixed. If you forced fixing them, eventually people would not be able to get a pet and that would be tragic. They are such good companions.

3. stuff4you profile image66
    stuff4youposted 6 years ago

I would rather not own a pet than to have one spayed or neutered.

(all so that I can own a pet, it should get its genitals severed? no thanks)

it would be better off in the wild...

4. jenniferrpovey profile image92
    jenniferrpoveyposted 6 years ago

Mandatory spay and neuter is a bad idea. To be more precise, it has never been implemented in a way that isn't really bad.

For example, California tried to put in an MSN law that would have made it illegal for the police department to breed their own dogs, forcing them to import dogs from another state (And guess who would have been paying for that).

MSN laws with no exceptions have been proposed, backed by animal rights extremists, in more than one location.

Know what. I'm going to make a hub about this one wink.

5. jenniferrpovey profile image92
    jenniferrpoveyposted 6 years ago

Mandatory spay-and-neuter laws are often proposed, and tried, as a solution to the pet overpopulation problem. Do they work? Or is there a better way? read more

working