PITTBULS......

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (40 posts)
  1. pumkin739 profile image56
    pumkin739posted 14 years ago

IT REALLY BOTHERS ME THAT THESES WONDERFUL ANIMALS HAVE THE REP THAT THEY HAVE....I UNDERSTAND THAT WE SEE THE BAD SIDE OF THEM, BUT WHY CAN'T PEOPLE BLAME THE OWNERS OF THESE DOGS AND PUT THEM DOWN FOR WHAT THEY DO TO THESE DOGS. THERE ARE SEVERAL OTHER BREEDS THAT HAVE DONE HARM TO HUMANS, BUT THEY DO NOT GET THE REPS THAT THE PITTBULLS HAVE...WE AS HUMANS HAVE BRED AND TRAINED THESE ANIMALS TO BE KILLERS, AND NOW WE WANT TO DESTROY WHAT WE DID....THAT MAKES SENSE, NOT......THESE ARE LOVING, LOYAL CREATURES THAT DESERVE RESPECT.... IF YOU PUT DOWN ANYONE, PUT THE PEOPLE DOWN THE HARM THIS BREED AND DO WHAT THEY DO TO THEM..

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think so too.

i don't have any pitbulls but it's horrible the way they are treated by some people...bred and trained for fighting to the death, then the poor dogs are the ones who get the bad rap.

heartbreaking sad

p.s. Michael Vick should not have been allowed to come back to play professionally... mad

2. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Yeah, its rough for them. I liked one pitbull personally, but that's about it. Also, don't typing in all caps. I know your "Expressing" your fury to the world but do it in a better manor.

~thranax~

pumkin739posted 14 years agoin reply to this

WHAT MANNER IS THAT

3. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Maybe taking caps lock off.

~thranax~

PEOPLE TYPE AS THEY PLEASE

1. tksensei profile image60
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Could you speak up please? I can't hear you.

YEAH OK....

4. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

An animal shouldn't be blamed for being what it is, but I don't think they are a good choice of pet. There is no legitimate reason for getting a dog that another breed cannot better fulfill.

THATS THE REASON FOR CHOICE OF BREEDS. I ONLY OWN PITS AND I HAVE NO NEED FOR ANY OTHER DOG....THEY HAVE BEEN THE BEST DOG I HAVE EVER HAD... I HAVE HAD POODLES AND OTHER BREED AS A CHILD, BUT AS AN ADULT I CHOOSE THIS BREED....AND I CAN SAY THAT MY FAMILY IS FULLFILLED WITH THEM IN IT... I OWN 4...

Could you speak up please? I can't hear you.

YEAH, OK LEAVE IT AS YOU HAVE AN OPINION AND I HAVE MINE

Look, I can't hear you if you're gonna whisper like that.

2. lrohner profile image69
              lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

5. profile image52
    crandallheatherposted 14 years ago

I agree.

Dogs, no matter what breed, have the ability to be nice or mean, depending on how their owners raised them.

Yes, pit bulls are a more dangerous breed because of their ability to lock their jaw when they are angry.

However, every pit bull I have ever met has been very sweet and pretty much harmless. I even knew one who was afraid of squirrels.

Pumkin739, most people do not like it when you type in all caps because it is associated with shouting or yelling on most sites.

1. profile image50
      loveabullposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pit Bulls do not have the ability to lock their jaw. Nor do they have the ability to clamp their jaw down any harder than other dogs. There is nothing that can test this function of a dog anyway, so maybe you heard it as a quote on the news or in some unreliable magazine, but it isn't possible or true.

6. BritFun profile image60
    BritFunposted 14 years ago

In the UK, we have some really bad legislation called the Dangerous Dogs Act - brought in a few years ago as a knee-jerk response to a couple of incidents where children were badly mauled by Pit Bulls.

It's now illegal to own a Pit Bull in the UK, and if they find you with one, they will take it away and have it put down.

im originally from the u.k and i live in the states now... I know in some states here there is a ban on owning pits....my 4 are all calm manored and one is scared of butterflies...lol. but as long as there are idiots out there doing what they do, there will be problems....thank u for being someone who gives them respect...

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

In my state, Tennessee, Dog Fighting is only a mistameanor. They need to make it a fellony with mandatory prision time, no parole, and make it US wide. Then actualy patrol and answer complaints and tips for it, to catch the Idiots in the act. Problem is they look at it as just a dumb animal to be used, and no one cares. Its a shame.

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

It's a shame that any breed is maligned because of human greed or the owner's propensity for violence. I worked with another teacher who raised Pits and Amstaffs, and they were all great dogs.

8. profile image50
    janleigh40posted 14 years ago

I knew there had to be some Pit-Bull lovers out there. I grew up with them since I was a small child. I only got bit once for trying two grab his feed bowl(left a mark but any dog will bit if he/she think your taking their food. His name was Karate(like kung fu)he was all white and very pretty. We had so many as i was growing up that were family dogs, and their great for protection. But they can be really funny too. Sis,Bro,Me was about to get a spanking Big Mike was laying on the floor when dad said line up to get your spanking. Big Mike got in line an when he spanked my brother one time he grabed(softy)my dads hand and guided him to his bedroom. Dad told us looks like he saved you guy's cause he don't want me to spank you. He looked like he would eat you up,but he would lick you to death or sit on you.
      I've watched as a pit-bull grows up with a rat terrier how the pit get punked only because the rat terrier lived at the house first. Long as they grow up with the other bred you will have very little problem. I've seen some play with cats.  I have seen people use them for money(fight)and kill them if they don,t win. It broke my heart to see them scard so badly. One was shot in the head the guy thought she was dead and buried her. The next day she was on his porch,I told my dad PLEASE bring her over here I'II take care of her. The guy did. I'm typing on this because these dogs don't deserve the bad rap. It's how bad people teach these dogs to destroy anything in their path.  THANKS ,Pumkin739,habee,Britfun

Well, that's not necessarily true.

1. profile image50
        janleigh40posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I,ve stuided dog behavior so my opinion is what I,ve seen and experenced. Also I stated (any dog) which means some not all dogs.  Try this experiment go to your local cat/dog shelter and go when their eating. Put your hand in there to get the food pan. (They try to
        establish a peaking order to be the first dog.)
        Also it's on the Dog Whisper show, check it out. Peace.

2. Eric Graudins profile image60
        Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We have one of the biggest, scariest looking German Shepherds you'll ever see.

We can take food out of his mouth while he's eating it.
        We could also do this to our previous German shepherd.

It all boils down to the temperament of the dog, and how he's brought up.

Exactly.

1. RedSonja94 profile image60
            RedSonja94posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree.  As big as my Dane was I could take food right out of his mouth and he would never make a fuss.  It depends on how the dog is raised and if you work with them on this aspect.

1. profile image51
              AllDogsBiganSmallposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    2. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is not necessarily true either. Depending on breeding and genetics, sometimes like all other dog breeds, no matter how you train and socialize, some dogs don't like other dogs. Even if you raise two dogs together, of any breed, there's no guarantee they will get along.

Socialization and training have a big part in it, as does the breeding of the dog (its parents, grandparents, etc.), but sometimes some dogs (of any breed) are just dog aggressive. Doesn't matter if they grow up together or not.

pumkin739 typing in all caps is rude online behavior. It is the equivalent of screaming.

1. profile image50
        janleigh40posted 14 years agoin reply to this

other bred you will have very little problems.
        To my experence and knowledge the yes they can. The reason is their behavior have to be taught in order to establish you control the environment. People take their dogs to the park to socialize with other dogs. Their are cat/dog daycare's,birthday parties for dogs with friends. Also watch the Dog Whisper with all his dogs(Pitt-Bulls to yorkies)playing and living together.
           Breeds learn to get along just like we do. People aren't perfect, neither are some breeds.   I will say from my observation it's better to get a Pitt as a puppy to raise with a different breed. The red flag I would suggest is make sure the dog isn't an inbreed(breed to close) odd behaviors.  Peace.

9. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

It is the owners fault but since you can't stop stupid people from doing stupid things you have to put somethings out of reach.

10. RedSonja94 profile image60
    RedSonja94posted 14 years ago

I have owned a pit and loved him dearly.  He was a very good boy.  On the other hand I don't trust my neighbor's pit, but they teach their dog aggressive behaviors too.  So I blame them for the fact I can't trust thier dog not to bite my kids.  I have scars from this dog already and I firmly blame the owners...they have taught this dog to be this way and I can see it.  It personally pisses me off to have to live next to this dog and I wouldn't care if it were a damn poodle I would still be offended by thier dog because of thier training. 

I would love to get another Great Dane though.  That is the best dog we have ever had.

11. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 14 years ago

Sadly, pits suffer from the same bad rep as many powerful breeds. Every pit I've met has been extremely sweet-tempered, as well as dogs of many other breeds with such a reputation. People misuse them because they are powerful, and when they do attack they do more damage than many other breeds. Personally, I have never been bit by any of these "dangerous breeds"...but I have been bit by pomeranians, cocker spaniels, retrievers, and more. I'm currently working with six pit bulls at the local animal shelter; none of them were raised with other dogs, yet only one is dog aggressive. All of them do wonderfully around humans, though two are very shy from bad treatment they had before they came to the shelter.

12. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Redsonja, I love you!!!! Great Danes are the best! Go look at the pics of mine on a bunch of my hubs. I've owned, bred, and trained many breeds, but out of all of them, the Great Dane is my absolute favorite!

13. RedSonja94 profile image60
    RedSonja94posted 14 years ago

I currently have a Jack Russell terrier because I needed a small dog after losing our Dane.  I need something to hold and will fit in my vehicle to go everywhere with me.  Besides a young Great Dane is too clumsy for little kids (mine took out my kitchen table at one time as a pup).  Once my boys are a little older we will have another Great Dane.  I am thinking maybe a fawn this time.

14. VivBounty profile image62
    VivBountyposted 14 years ago

I had an American Bull Terrier. She and I lived happily together for 2 years. She only barked at the mailman. I took her to visit my friend's farm with 4 dogs of all sizes,a huge white Lab, a tiny mini-Poodle, a Chinese Powder Puff, small Jack Russell Terrier, 18 barn kittens, 5 adult cats, 4 horses and a budgie flying around the house. She had a great time, loved all the animals, ate around them and we rode back on the 9-hour drive home with her happily exhausted, smelling like a small horse.
    I also had toddlers visiting each year and she was gentle and great with them. When I moved abroad she went to live with a friend who has 2 Rottweilers, a Sheppard, two mixed-breed rescues, and a toddler. She's now 7 years old I still get pictures of her happily getting along with her new family. It is truly how your raise them. Even my friend who has the farm was skeptical at first until we visited the first time spending 4 days all together with the menagerie in harmony changed her mind.

15. pddm67 profile image60
    pddm67posted 14 years ago

I agree. It's not the breed/dog itself that should be held responsible but the person who owns and trains them. There are manty pit bulls ( and other breeds with a bad rep)that are very friendly and have never caused harm to anyone.

16. rhamson profile image69
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

I have had Pit Bulls, Dobermans and other breeds of dogs over the period of many years.

I got my first Pitt Bull as a guard dog and found her to be very friendly and good with the kids.  I also found that she responded very well to training as a guard dog.  Mind you I did not fight her or anything but part of her training was for me to be the only one to feed her.  This created a bond between us that was inseparable and a distrust for strangers which is what I wanted.  She never bit anybody but she would let strangers know when to back off. I never got burglerized and slept with great comfort because of this little dog.

My doberman reacted much the same but I allowed him to be fed by my wife and children.  I believe this is why he was suseptable to the poisoning by one of the neighbors.  This was a rough neighborhood.

My point is some breeds such as the Pitt Bull and the Doberman are more inclined to accept aggressive training more than others and when directed properly fulfill their purpose very well. They were also very loving and docile as that is what I encouraged them to be with the family.

Another thing you have to watch though and that is having a guard dog aroung is like having a loaded gun,  you have to be aware of where it is and who has access to it.

1. wychic profile image84
      wychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The difference is that you were basically training a dog who and what to protect. Most dogs, especially dogs that have been bred to guard, are very territorial and will protect their area and their people.

Fighting dogs, on the other hand, are not trained to be aggressive only when needed, or to protect those they love. These dogs are trained to fight and kill, to hate anything and everything, and often display unbridled aggression to strangers and handlers alike. They're trained to be just plain mean, and to be good at it.

Some of the best guard dog breeds tend to be the ones misused for fighting, because they do already have the instincts and powerful build that will make them top-notch fighters. It really is heartbreaking to see such great animals destroyed to turn them into killers whose only purpose in life is to rip apart anything they're faced with.

17. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

I must agree that the 'owner makes the dog'. If an animal is mishandled then you can expect the worse from it. Like other posters have said, the genetics of the Pit Bull make it more hazardous only because of it's massive strength, mainly in the jaws. That in itself gives it a bad rap. However, there are many other dogs that are equally as 'dangerous in strength', like the Mastiff. 

I can tell you, my husband bought 2 Cathoula Leopard dogs that appear to be muts; slick haired, dog bird looking things. Never hear negative remarks about them, but they are really dangerous considering their in-bred aggression, mainly towards livestock and smaller animals. The often viciously fight each other over food and various things...if one of the children were to be in the 'cross-fire' of these dogs when they were going at it, then there could be a catastrophe.  That's why it's so important we continually supervise these animals when the children are around and NOT feed them during in their presence. By themselves, they LOVE the kids, running to them, falling and rolling over.     Pit bulls, the same thing. Watch em, love em, train em.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)